Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

+1 on GEICO insurance. Under $200/year for full coverage with towing and all the bells and whistles.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 PM
RUThinking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonetls
Looking for a good/great roadside assistance provider. Someone who will pick-up & fix or whatever the bad **** happens no matter where you are in the lower 48 + Alaska & Canada
I do not recommend upgrading the HOG Roadside Assistance given you included Alaska & Canada, unless you are retired and/or have time to burn. The plan is managed by Road America.

Returning from Alaska this year I had a voltage regulator fail in Whitehorse, YT. That is a 2 day ride to Fairbanks or Anchorage, a little less than 2.5 days to Grande Prairie, Alberta. Other than the fact I was around civilization when it happened and it was my destination for the night, sorta the worse case scenario.

Called Road America the next day and because the nearest dealer was over 1000 KM away they had to go out for quotes, doing so could take 2 days. Wait, it gets better, than they may dispatch a truck from the city with the dealer. That's right they expected me to sit in Whitehorse for 2 - 4.5 days waiting to be picked up. Time I didn't have, nor couldn't make up. Needless to say I transported the bike out of Whitehorse via U-Haul. My claim for reimbursement is still unresolved.

I can't recommend anyone else, just sharing my experience.

Not Road America's fault, but the dealer in Grande Prairie didn't have a voltage regulator in stock for my bike. At that point I threw in the towel and hauled the bike home.

NO ONE should let this story discourage you from making the trip to Alaska. It was a great trip with a disappointing ending. I knew something like this could happen, hence why I upgraded my roadside assistance plan. Statistically speaking I can make the trip 100 more times and not have an issue. Lady luck just wasn't on my side. I only saw 2 other bikes stranded, of course I stopped for both. One was on the way up and was out of fuel, help was already on the way and the rider confessed he made a decision to pass up an available fuel stop. The second was on my way home, he had a tire issue and just finished roadside repairs.

A video of the fun part of the trip can be found here. Link

Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonetls
Looking for a good/great roadside assistance provider. Someone who will pick-up & fix or whatever the bad **** happens no matter where you are in the lower 48 + Alaska & Canada

Any suggestions?
AAA plus motorcycle covers 100MI towing gas delivery etc and covers trailers you have your bike in or are towing with your bike. You don't need to get the RV version if you don't have an RV.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,248 Likes on 812 Posts

I've had several, and AAA has been the best overall for me. Seems like they have the best fleet coverage. Others have been...interesting, when it came to actually trying to get hold of them, or having a tow truck to actually come.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Badlionsfan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See what your insurance company has to offer.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:33 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Default Road side sucks

I had a flat the other day since I have HOG membership called for a tow. The first call was made at 2:50 pm. I was told a truck would be there within 45 minutes to an hour. This was in downtow Philadelphia, guess what time the truck arrived, anyone? 8:15 pm since both shops that I was going to get it towed to were closed they took it to. My house at no charge. Customer Care called the next day an apologized for my previous experience. They offered to tow it for free to one of the shops. Since it was raining I requested to have it towed the following day and Roy said no problem give them a call to set it up.
The next day I called Roy he put me in touch with dispatch, so far no problem. The shop was open until 6:00 pm, but someone would be there until 7:00 pm. I explained this to the dispatcher she said no problem. Long story short they never arrived. The called me back at 6:20 pm and told me the truck was 75 minutes away. When I explained that the shop would be closed the supervisor told me he would call me back in a few minutes. He called back and said he set the tow up for Friday morning he guaranteed that the bike would be picked up by 8:30 am and delivered to the shop by 9:00 am again they were a no show. I called them at 9:15 am and they were very rude like it was my fault the truck didn't show. She called me back and said the first truck had cancelled and the company that made wait over 5 hours were going to come within 75 minutes. I called the repair shop and. They. Told. Me they. Could pick the bike up and still have it repaired the same day. They picked the bike up at 10:25 and called me at 1:30 to tell me it was ready for pick up. He informed. Me that road side paid them for The towing. Roy called me and. Told they are sending me a gift card (hope it doesn't come like the tow trucks) and they were upgrading my HOG membership for free.

Sorry about the long story, but I wanted to get the facts out there before someone else is left stranded.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Triple A Plus with Motorcycle....the absolute best. Saved my bacon many times..

Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RUThinking
I do not recommend upgrading the HOG Roadside Assistance given you included Alaska & Canada, unless you are retired and/or have time to burn. The plan is managed by Road America.

Returning from Alaska this year I had a voltage regulator fail in Whitehorse, YT. That is a 2 day ride to Fairbanks or Anchorage, a little less than 2.5 days to Grande Prairie, Alberta. Other than the fact I was around civilization when it happened and it was my destination for the night, sorta the worse case scenario.

Called Road America the next day and because the nearest dealer was over 1000 KM away they had to go out for quotes, doing so could take 2 days. Wait, it gets better, than they may dispatch a truck from the city with the dealer. That's right they expected me to sit in Whitehorse for 2 - 4.5 days waiting to be picked up. Time I didn't have, nor couldn't make up. Needless to say I transported the bike out of Whitehorse via U-Haul. My claim for reimbursement is still unresolved.

I can't recommend anyone else, just sharing my experience.

Not Road America's fault, but the dealer in Grande Prairie didn't have a voltage regulator in stock for my bike. At that point I threw in the towel and hauled the bike home.

NO ONE should let this story discourage you from making the trip to Alaska. It was a great trip with a disappointing ending. I knew something like this could happen, hence why I upgraded my roadside assistance plan. Statistically speaking I can make the trip 100 more times and not have an issue. Lady luck just wasn't on my side. I only saw 2 other bikes stranded, of course I stopped for both. One was on the way up and was out of fuel, help was already on the way and the rider confessed he made a decision to pass up an available fuel stop. The second was on my way home, he had a tire issue and just finished roadside repairs.

A video of the fun part of the trip can be found here. Link

Why not use the HD dealer in Whitehorse?