Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 ECM Question..

Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM
battledogg
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ECM Question..

I just got a 2006 Road King Custom EFI...

From my research I have gathered the following:
It has Rush Slip-ons and a Sceamin Eagle Stage 1 breather with stock football shaped cover. The filter is the blue and white which I believe is washable??

The bike is running hot in my opinion.
Pipes are Blue and Golden under heat shields all the way back to slip-ons and the right slip on is getting golden after the union where the header pipe goes to the slip on.

From what I am reading there is no stage 1 flash from the dealer for this bike? I don't see any tuner present. Could this bike still been tuned with a Screamin Eagle Programmer or equivalent to compensate for the add-ons?
Do I need to try to find a dealer to try to flash back to stock as described in this post ??
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...dking-ecm.html
Then go with a tuner? I was thinking like a Power Commander V?
Just don't know if it has a Stage 1 Remap of some kind that isn't right or if someone modded and just ran it without remap?
Power seems decent, mileage alright and idles fine. A little blubbery at times but nothing worse than a carbed bike.
The bike only has 3800 miles on it and I haven't a clue how long mods where abroad before I bought it.
Supposedly an elderly gentlemen had it and traded for a trike and it was always serviced at the dealer...However I have heard stories like that before

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited by battledogg; 08-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

you can determine if it has a dealer download type tuner by seeing how high the motor revs.
( not all owners have a dealer download or tuning compensation done when they swap parts on their bike)

I think 5700 is stock for your year model- if the bike revs to 6000 rpms then you know that it has a download.

I wouldn;t try to determine the accuracy of the fuel mixture by pipe or plug color.

if you really want to get into this you could have an o2 sensor bung put on your header by a muffler shop and use a voltmeter to see if the mixture is lean, rick or right on in real time under all conditions.

i use an o2 sensor to tune my evos, panheads, 60's cadillacs and even my trail 90

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-15-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Probably has some sort of flash on the ecm. You cannot upgrade pipes and air filter without making her run like crap. Put a tuner on mine and it cooled down quite a bit.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 PM
battledogg
Stage IV

So the best thing sounds like I should just get a screamin eagle programmer that I can overwrite what is already in the ecm and go from there.
I believe it fully rewrites and just doesnt add to already present tuning correct?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 AM
shorty07ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could get a power vision and flash it.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
battledogg
Stage IV

Would the Screamin Eagle Programmer have maps for non Harley parts like the Rush Slip-Ons...???

Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

SE tuner requires a dyno run to tune perfectly, but IMHO, it is the only way to go.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by battledogg
Would the Screamin Eagle Programmer have maps for non Harley parts like the Rush Slip-Ons...???
S/E tuner has maps for HD Parts only. If you insist on the HD tuner you could use a map for S/E slip-ons and get close.

You'd be much better off with an aftermarket flash tuner like TTS or Power Vision. Cost is about the same and they have much more capability, and maps for aftermarket parts.

I'm very happy with my Power Vision.

Call Fuel Moto and tell them what you want to do. They will help you get the right tuner. They are a forum sponser and very good to work with.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know if they're still available but my PCIII has worked flawlessly on my '06 SG since '07. I did have the canned map dialed in on a dyno - it still has the same power but also gets 45+ mpg.
The PCIII a less expensive alternative that isn't forever coupled to your bike like a power Vision or SE unit.
As said, Fuel Moto is THE way to go here.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:03 PM
battledogg
Stage IV

Thanks all . Will give Fuel Moto a call.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 ECM Question..