Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ordering process has begun for my road glide conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Just wondering, do you have to change the handlebars too when you do the conversion? Big difference in width where the bars turn up between a batwing and a shark nose.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad to see someone else taking a dip into the conversion shark tank. Let me know if you have questions, I know redbeard helped me out by providing the list. The list is a complete list, the only part i ordered different from the list was the interconnect wiring harness. Use the '10 plus parts and you can put lowers on if you want to at a later date. The actual conversion only took a weekend once all the parts arrived.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
After much internal debate and shopping for a used road glide, I have decided to convert my 2006 EGC over. Ordered my inner and outer today, and as more funds become available, I will order the rest of my parts.

Once mocked up, I am going to map out the paint design, and am going to go with a modified 2012 CVO paint scheme. I have always loved the black and white "skunk" paint, and also love the 2013 chrome yellow. So I will be changing the white to chrome yellow.

I plan to post up my progress as I go. Most likely will have all my parts by the end of September.

I've always loved that paint scheme. Thinking of doing the same mod to mine. Keep us posted

Old 08-18-2014, 06:10 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

QUESTION for Road Star, Redbeard, and the Q.....

Can wiring be extended, or do I defiantly need a new fairing wire harness? Looking at cost, the harness looks to be pricy.

Did any of you find a good source for a used speedo and tach housing? I have looked on eBay, and the forums, not finding much.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 08-18-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM
ScottieB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could help you on the wiring. I did my conversion from a Road King. I bought Dakota Digital gauges and made my own wiring harness. I would like to do it again on my Ultra. Watching with interest as I was afraid to tackle the wiring on the Ultra.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM
stormrider79
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 AM
yokdriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to see it done with the different colors

Old 08-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my '05 Road King a few years back. I made my own harnesses (not rocket science). Everything pretty much is plug and play. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails The ordering process has begun for my road glide conversion!-img_0260-1-.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 PM
dbru899271
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After much internal debate and shopping for a used road glide, I have decided to convert my 2006 EGC over. Ordered my inner and outer today, and as more funds become available, I will order the rest of my parts.

Once mocked up, I am going to map out the paint design, and am going to go with a modified 2012 CVO paint scheme. I have always loved the black and white "skunk" paint, and also love the 2013 chrome yellow. So I will be changing the white to chrome yellow.

I plan to post up my progress as I go. Most likely will have all my parts by the end of September.
Can you PM me the parts list

09 FLHT

Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

QUESTION for Road Star, Redbeard, and the Q.....

Can wiring be extended, or do I defiantly need a new fairing wire harness? Looking at cost, the harness looks to be pricy.

Did any of you find a good source for a used speedo and tach housing? I have looked on eBay, and the forums, not finding much.

Most times when you buy a take off inner fairing, you get the three nacelle pieces. I'm not sure how easy they are to find alone, but maybe someone selling the full set will break them up. Also check out:

www.roadglide.org

They have a classified section over there and you might find some good take off parts as needed.

Regarding the wiring - spend the money to get the harness. There is no kit that extends the batwing wiring harness to the same specs as the Road Glides. Some wires are longer, and some are shorter.

Can you extend it? Absolutely, but there are dozens of wires that would need extending, reinsulating, etc. I hate to even think of the nightmare it would be chasing down an electrical issue related to that harness and the DIY modification though.

Having done two of these conversions now (an 06 and a 10), the older bikes like yours do have the more expensive harnesses, but it's money well spent. I don't think you'd regret purchasing the Road Glide harness.

Quick Reply: The ordering process has begun for my road glide conversion!