Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

efi tuner and warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 PM
bobbyjoes
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default efi tuner and warranty?

this is my first new bike and this warranty thing is confusing,so do i have to get a screamin eagle tuner and have harley tune it or voids warranty?

Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

this is a grey area.

your warranty is with Harley-Davidson Motor Company*.
The dealer is not HDMC and cannot modify the factory warranty.

many dealers will promise to take care of you if there is a problem and they sell the stuff ( what happens if you are touring?). see if they'll put that in writing.

I have a Pal who is Sales Mgr at a large dealer, here's a quote from him:

Putting on pipes and air cleaners is a grey area. We've read the fine print on the warranty and it says " installing certain exhaust systems MAY void your warranty", but it doesn't tell you which ones! Go down to your local HD dealer and ask them a bunch of questions. I tell my customers, if you bought the bike here and we installed the parts, we will stand behind your warranty. I guess it all depends on who you talk to!

*an extended warranty is with a 3rd party- almost never HDMC- and this contract may have very tight exclusions.

stuff that HD sells which is warranty compliant- would also be "legal for use on street vehicles". and may not do much for you.

Most of us use parts which are intended for "closed course/ off road use only"

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-16-2014 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (01-07-2020)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless a mundane clear cut warranty issue..I think it is worthless. Have seen countless issues denied by grey area exclusion with my riding partners. It is why in 50 years of riding them I have never purchased ESP nor returned for scheduled maintainance...I always thought it a farce.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any tune except a crappy 49 state street legal moco download voids your powertrain warranty period. Most dealers look the other way, but if they hook the scan tool up it will show tuned and uploads that log to moco. I had a friend that the crank scissored and the rep was there and saw stage 1 done and voided the repair. Mike

Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The warranty is only as good as your servicing dealer, they can get stuff taken care of, or they can get stuff not covered depending on your relationship with the dealer.
If you want to make sure you are not out on the road, and end up broken down, and a warranty flagged , do not do anything to the motor, no tuner, no stage one , no nothing until the warranty is done.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 PM
bobbyjoes
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ya it almost makes a guy say the Hell with it and do what you want, harley wont cover it anyways,right

Old 08-16-2014, 08:33 PM
dochawken
Road Master

ESP or warranty work is like most prenuptials...not worth a damn...

Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyjoes
ya it almost makes a guy say the Hell with it and do what you want, harley wont cover it anyways,right
well, the rule of thumb is leave it alone during the warranty period- any problem is Theirs

then once it is yours- YOU take the responsibility for problems.

"performance' work on any vehicle will be a continual search for the next weakest link.

which is expensive- it is cheaper to buy a sportbike and a Harley than to try to make a Harley fast

I leave my Harleys at stage 1, I've seen enough guys screw up a bike with "work"...it always breaks, it doesn;t run well on the street and the MPG sucks

mike

Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
well, the rule of thumb is leave it alone during the warranty period- any problem is Theirs

then once it is yours- YOU take the responsibility for problems.

"performance' work on any vehicle will be a continual search for the next weakest link.

which is expensive- it is cheaper to buy a sportbike and a Harley than to try to make a Harley fast

I leave my Harleys at stage 1, I've seen enough guys screw up a bike with "work"...it always breaks, it doesn;t run well on the street and the MPG sucks

mike
If I want to feel unbelievable power and performance, I jump on my 2010 Hyabusa..your right about trying to make a Harley fast..so very true.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:55 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyjoes
That my feeling on added performance parts. I figured if it blows up it's on me. If I was worried about it I would leave it stock, but some of us know that isn't any fun.

Quick Reply: efi tuner and warranty?