Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jingling noise driving me nuts....help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Devo6684
I got the same sounds, like tiny pebbles hitting my front fender. Happened right at 5,000 miles on my '12 Limited. Thought it was bad gas. Several tanks later same issue. It usually occurred at 2,700rpm.
Went to dealer several times and was told it was normal- that it was the 'harmonics' of the valves/lifters. Sounded like an angry cicada in my motor, very annoying. Luckily I had added an amp and speakers to the bike so I was able to tune it out.
Btw- V&H power duals, heavy breather and SE super tuner did not help the issue.
I'm pretty sure this is valve train clatter.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I had a similar noise years ago. Did it only at certain RPMs. It was maddening! Finally discovered that the nut for the front engine mount had worked its way off and the bolt had creeped up a bit. The washer between the head of the bolt and the mount was jingling on the bolt's shaft. New nut and lock washer and it was fine.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same type of noise. After extensive research, I found out that my shift lever was the cause. Tightened it up,and that fixed it. It hard to target exactly where the noise is coming from.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 AM
dad4
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My noise on the last 2 street glides was the fuel door. The button you push to open it up was loose. it was rattling like crazy at certain RPM's...

Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 AM
Greg Anderson
Advanced

I have a 2012 ultra limited (flhtk). Jingling on mine was toe shifter shaft. Bushings on shaft were worn. The shaft would wobble all around. Temporary fix was loosening up the inner arm that's attached to shifter linkage and squeezing outer and inner arms together and retighten. Other wise install new bushings

Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Greg Anderson
Advanced

It's easy to tell if the noise is the shifter, just take your foot and put pressure against the shifter while your riding. If it goes away that's the problem

Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks guys, plenty to check there....I will check them all. Next stop gas tank off and check rocker boxes for something rattling in there as well.

I will assume it's normal noise if I can't see anything....cant think what else to strip down

Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

One last question? What has been done to the engine? Some of the open front air cleaners allow you to hear some tinging clacking sounds from the throttle body. Also my Rinehart pipes had a dingling sound during the baffles burning in? Helps to tell us what has been done to the bike or if it's all stock? Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

I've read ( and this happened to my buddy's 2010 FLHTCU ) where some have the rocker arm bridge bolts coming loose ... either that or your ear rings may need some adjusting :>)

Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM
johnnynitro
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like Valve noise to me !

Quick Reply: Jingling noise driving me nuts....help?