Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wobble, A Comprehensive Look into Cause, Effect, and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,317 Likes on 3,664 Posts

If you can move the swing arm left or right, even a small amount, suspect worn rubber bushings/isolators,
If you can move the swingarm side to side I be more conscious of the swing arm spherical bearings.. If the whole drive train and swingarm moves I'd be more conscious of the isolators.. To really get a feel for the isolators you need a dial indicator and pry bar as the preload can be relaxed but not enough to show movement by hand.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,298 Likes on 849 Posts

You misunderstand, I'm not saying the frame flexes up near the steering head, I'm saying the whole thing wags around those bearings in there. The steering head itself is a very nice and free moving vertical swivel or "flex" point.

As for the gyroscopic procession, it actually works against you when counter steering. Not that counter steering doesn't work, but it doesn't do so by gyroscopic procession. It works by steering the contact patch out from under you and the motorcycle, initiating the turn process. It is not the only way to start a turn, but it tends to be the quickest and easiest for initiating a turn at speed.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
You misunderstand, I'm not saying the frame flexes up near the steering head, I'm saying the whole thing wags around those bearings in there. The steering head itself is a very nice and free moving vertical swivel or "flex" point.
Got it...

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

The rear wheel is also generating it’s own gyroscopic roll moment when the bike starts to lean. The force tries to twist the swing arm. Meanwhile, if the wheels are misaligned, then they’re not spinning in the same plane and their gyroscopic moments are reacting at skewed angles.
I think its worthy to point out that unless going straight the wheels are not aligned so the stresses you mention are always there..

Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM
LoneGrey
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwoltz
If you can move the swingarm side to side I be more conscious of the swing arm spherical bearings.. If the whole drive train and swingarm moves I'd be more conscious of the isolators.. To really get a feel for the isolators you need a dial indicator and pry bar as the preload can be relaxed but not enough to show movement by hand.
I TOTALLY AGREE. I was just trying keep it short and simple -- the KISS principle -- key point being that if you can manually move the swing arm laterally, you have a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmn, I did not realise the conversation on this subject had moved over here now!

I was just wonder if you had any ideas about the ideal preload on the swing arm mounts.

I had just measured mine up and discover that once I torque it up, it actually pushed the frame tubes apart slightly. I am guessing the further they are pushed apart, the more vibration will be transferred.

What might the sweet spot be?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM
LoneGrey
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
Hmmn, I did not realise the conversation on this subject had moved over here now! I was just wonder if you had any ideas about the ideal preload on the swing arm mounts. I had just measured mine up and discover that once I torque it up, it actually pushed the frame tubes apart slightly. I am guessing the further they are pushed apart, the more vibration will be transferred. What might the sweet spot be?
Dun Roamin -- am not sure what subject you're referring to. This thread is about the wobble, cause, effect, and fix. As for preload on the swing arm mounts, you got me there. I ride a 99 FLTR and even tho I have removed and reinstalled the swing arm and mounts, I am not aware of any preload other than torqueing the swing arm shaft to spec. Sorry, wish I could help.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
Hmmn, I did not realise the conversation on this subject had moved over here now!

I was just wonder if you had any ideas about the ideal preload on the swing arm mounts.

I had just measured mine up and discover that once I torque it up, it actually pushed the frame tubes apart slightly. I am guessing the further they are pushed apart, the more vibration will be transferred.

What might the sweet spot be?
I've added a couple 0.030 spacers and it didn't effect the vibs as far as I can tell.. It did help a bit with handling...Didn't increase the vibes like glidepro.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneGrey
Dun Roamin -- am not sure what subject you're referring to. This thread is about the wobble, cause, effect, and fix. As for preload on the swing arm mounts, you got me there. I ride a 99 FLTR and even tho I have removed and reinstalled the swing arm and mounts, I am not aware of any preload other than torqueing the swing arm shaft to spec. Sorry, wish I could help.
Probably the thread that's had the discussion going for a couple years on this subject: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-exposed.html

Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff in here gentleman. Thanks

Quick Reply: The Wobble, A Comprehensive Look into Cause, Effect, and Fix