Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wobble, A Comprehensive Look into Cause, Effect, and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
Hmmn, I'd say about 35 years, there's a Z1R and a Laverda Jota in there, isn't there?

Do the True-Track allow the transmission to move in a slight but insignificant arc? Isn't there a new one that only allows movement straight up and down?
They were both introduced in the mid-70s, so almost 40 years!

The stock stabilizers on all Harleys actually move in a slight arc, as does the True-Track and all its cheap copies. However the motion involved is so small that it approximates to a straight line, for all of them. The suspect copies are those that use a very short link, which indicates their 'designers' don't understand what they are messing with!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:25 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the short links arcing more ... and at one corner instead of the middle.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I would be very surprised if Howard has an upside-down forks solution that fit any of the RK models. I briefly looked into them as a possibility myself, but concluded that they presented challenges that might be difficult to overcome. If I lived on the same Continent and could visit him easily I would have investigated further.
Something I would not mind seeing on a Harley fork is anti-dive tied to the brakes. Honda has played with this off and on, and I've found it to work very nicely on the bigger heavier touring like bikes. Wouldn't do anything for wobble, but would help with control under hard braking.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. Could be that the front end of the oilpan is different on later models, hence different gasket, dunnow. Perhaps you'll be fine after all!

True-Track confirmed that the rear cage only will fit but not the frame attachments, so the later ones marked '09 might be consider the later development. YMMV.

Shorter bolts, more circumferential pressure being better?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Something I would not mind seeing on a Harley fork is anti-dive tied to the brakes. Honda has played with this off and on, and I've found it to work very nicely on the bigger heavier touring like bikes. Wouldn't do anything for wobble, but would help with control under hard braking.
Rubber mount Harleys had a form of anti-dive for many years, as a part of the front air-assisted suspension. My 1990 bike still has it. The handlebars are an air reservoir that supplements the springing in the forks while riding normally, however applying the front brake closes off a valve, omitting the handlebars from the system. The reduced amount of air available stiffens the front suspension while braking, reducing dive. Better damping achieves a similar affect, bearing in mind the fork damping on most Harleys is mediocre.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Rubber mount Harleys had a form of anti-dive for many years, as a part of the front air-assisted suspension. My 1990 bike still has it. The handlebars are an air reservoir that supplements the springing in the forks while riding normally, however applying the front brake closes off a valve, omitting the handlebars from the system. The reduced amount of air available stiffens the front suspension while braking, reducing dive. Better damping achieves a similar affect, bearing in mind the fork damping on most Harleys is mediocre.
My 89 handled pretty decent, but I think (hope) it could be better; probably has original parts in it, and with more than 120K, probably would improve just with new OEM seals and springs. Forks are in pieces right now, plan is to put single rate springs and intimidators in them, ditch the air (but keep all the parts, just in case...). That reminds me, gotta make some calls and make sure I can get those parts to fit the old Glide.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM
fer79
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 05-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Not the problem..

Add The swing arm stack holds the plate in place..