Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light issue after new bars installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Henry89
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...I know I've done too many upgrades at once but onething lead to another and the next thing I knew I was replacing more then just the handlebars. Just to be clear...I only the left and right controls, TBW and ignition connector connected to the main wireharness. Only thing different is that I don't have the three pin connector for the rear fender connected since the rear fender is now a 2010 without the big stop light. I can proivide some pic's if that would help. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Henry89
Tourer
Thumbs up Figured it out....

So the light in my head finally came on....There was never a problem with the stopswitch. I never had the right front brake lever in stalled. I was just pressing the stop switch by hand. This was the wrong way to test the front stop switch. In normal operation...the stop switch is slighty pressed in with the front brake lever. When you apply the front brake you're opening the stop switch all the way causing the tail lights to go bright. Bottom line...I was testing the stop switch the wrong way and there was never a problem. Chaulk this one up to a $60 dumbass attack and lesson learned.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry89
So the light in my head finally came on....There was never a problem with the stopswitch. I never had the right front brake lever in stalled. I was just pressing the stop switch by hand. This was the wrong way to test the front stop switch. In normal operation...the stop switch is slighty pressed in with the front brake lever. When you apply the front brake you're opening the stop switch all the way causing the tail lights to go bright. Bottom line...I was testing the stop switch the wrong way and there was never a problem. Chaulk this one up to a $60 dumbass attack and lesson learned.
Live and learn my friend, we have all done it. I knew something was up when it was working in reverse operation. Like I said, I broke my switch and had no idea. I probably rode around like that for a couple weeks. Glad you got it sorted out though. Now its time to ride!!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Henry89
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
Live and learn my friend, we have all done it. I knew something was up when it was working in reverse operation. Like I said, I broke my switch and had no idea. I probably rode around like that for a couple weeks. Glad you got it sorted out though. Now its time to ride!!
Funny thing is I was thinking that the front brake stop switch worked opposite then how it really worked. Light came on last night after I referenced "Manuel" and re-read all the post to this thread. I went over the electrical schmatics a 1000 times and couldn't find where I went wrong with the wiring. I guess presistents was key and my OCD...LOL. SO simple and the lack of experience in how the front stop switch kicked my a$$. Hope someone else can learn sonething from this and take away with something. Power of the HD forums! Thank you all!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry89
Funny thing is I was thinking that the front brake stop switch worked opposite then how it really worked. Light came on last night after I referenced "Manuel" and re-read all the post to this thread. I went over the electrical schmatics a 1000 times and couldn't find where I went wrong with the wiring. I guess presistents was key and my OCD...LOL. SO simple and the lack of experience in how the front stop switch kicked my a$$. Hope someone else can learn sonething from this and take away with something. Power of the HD forums! Thank you all!
I have been a mechanic my whole life and I have learned some lessons in similar ways. The up side to it is you know for the next time. I am on my 3rd Harley and have used the lessons I have learned on every bike. Think of it this way, that 60 bucks you spent on the switch was still cheaper than what the stealer would have charged to install the bars.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Henry89
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
I have been a mechanic my whole life and I have learned some lessons in similar ways. The up side to it is you know for the next time. I am on my 3rd Harley and have used the lessons I have learned on every bike. Think of it this way, that 60 bucks you spent on the switch was still cheaper than what the stealer would have charged to install the bars.
10-4! Totally agree! Thanks man!