Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 miles before fuel light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM
greenhell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 miles before fuel light comes on

I've had my 2003 EG efi for almost a month now and like I've read, the fuel gauge hardly ever works so I'm going off the trip meter. I filled up last week and my fuel light came on at 95 miles today. I haven't really been hot rodding around.

Either I've got some issues or the fuel light isn't working correctly.

Thought or ideas?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a Reda gas can designed to fit in your bag for insurance until you get to know your bike
Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon by Reda Gas Can
Amazon.com: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon: Automotive Amazon.com: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 AM
greenhell
Advanced

Originally Posted by scott01
Get a Reda gas can designed to fit in your bag for insurance until you get to know your bike
Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon by Reda Gas Can Amazon.com: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon: Automotive
That's a good idea but 95 miles? That's pretty crappy fuel mileage when I've read I should be getting 35-40 mpg. How much is left once the fuel light comes on?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was riding into work a couple of weeks ago. I left the house, trip meter said 54 miles left. I live less than 15 miles to the gas station I usually fill up at on the way to work. Less than 10 miles down the road the damn trip meter was down to 24, so a bit of advise to everyone out there, DONT TRUST IT, after the light comes on, it goes fast. I can usually go 200-220 before I fill up, so I am going off the speedometer from now on. Greenhell, my fuel light comes on around 50 miles remaining.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
greenhell
Advanced

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
I was riding into work a couple of weeks ago. I left the house, trip meter said 54 miles left. I live less than 15 miles to the gas station I usually fill up at on the way to work. Less than 10 miles down the road the damn trip meter was down to 24, so a bit of advise to everyone out there, DONT TRUST IT, after the light comes on, it goes fast. I can usually go 200-220 before I fill up, so I am going off the speedometer from now on. Greenhell, my fuel light comes on around 50 miles remaining.
Really? 50 miles? Sounds like quite a bit. I was told by the previous owner I should be getting around 180-200 per tank.

Maybe I'm not filling up all the way? Should I fill till I can see gas starting to rise out of the opening?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Fill it up when the light comes and and check how much gas it takes. That will tell you if there is an issue or not. Harley fuel gauges are known to be extremely inaccurate. Often times the float in the tank needs to be bent so it sits properly on top of the gas to get a relatively accurate reading.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

walmart sells a small gas can/tank that fits the saddlebags. 6 bucks

Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
greenhell
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Fill it up when the light comes and and check how much gas it takes. That will tell you if there is an issue or not. Harley fuel gauges are known to be extremely inaccurate. Often times the float in the tank needs to be bent so it sits properly on top of the gas to get a relatively accurate reading.
I'll do that today Hogpro. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
greenhell
Advanced

Originally Posted by oakmossy
walmart sells a small gas can/tank that fits the saddlebags. 6 bucks
6 bucks sounds a lot better than $34 for the saddlebag can.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fill it up till you cant put anymore in it, that's what I do. CAUTION: if you are going to be parking the bike for any length of time right after you fill up, don't fill it up that much, it will spill out of the overflow while its on the jiffy stand and you will have a big surprise under the bike, lol. Yes my light comes on around 45-50 miles, depends on what kind of mood Big Red is in that particular day, lol.

Last edited by my67pnycar; 08-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 miles before fuel light comes on