Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom Shield Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Freedom Shield Review

Been riding my 2014 SGS all summer with the stock shield and decided to upgrade to see if the buffeting could be limited. Everybody has different definitions for buffeting, so I'll tell you mine: My glasses would bounce around (at least until I remembered I had a strap... see my Idiot post) and the wind was hurting my hearing. Granted, I must have sensitive hearing as I almost always have the TV and radio on a low volume... but I can never seem to hear my wife.

I really wanted to see some pics of the different sizes, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so hopefully this will help somebody.

I looked around on the forums and narrowed it down to Freedom Shields and Long Ride Shields. I called Freedom Shields and talked to John. Great guy and they offer a 10% HDForum discount. Told him I was 6'3" and 34" inseam and that I was looking at an 8" or 9" shield. I was going to go with the 8" to maintain the SG looks and he told me if it didn't work to just send it back. At the last minute I decided to go with the 9" and I'm glad I did. I don't think the 9" detracted from the looks at all. I do wish I could have ordered it over the phone as long as I was talking to him anyways. Maybe I could have, but he seemed to direct me to the website.

They were behind on their orders so he said it would ship out in 5-7 business days, but I got it on my doorstep in 5 business days. The first thing I noticed was how much thicker the Freedom shield is. I'm guessing 30-40% thicker. It also seemed clearer, but that could be just an optical illusion from the greater surface area. The install obviously only took about 5 minutes and then I took it out for a spin. Wow, what a difference! I only got up to about 80, but I had my sunglasses on (without the strap) and they barely moved. I had a hoodie on and the strings from the hood never even hit my face... they just kind of floated around. Most importantly, the wind noise wasn't killing me.

Here's some pics of before and after to see what the shield looks like in comparison as well as a somewhat blurry photo trying to show the difference in thickness between the Freedom and HD shield.

I can't recommend John and Freedom Shields enough. Great product and very friendly service.

Sorry this photo is blurry, but it was tough to hold the shields and phone at the same time.

The Freedom 9" shield is about 4.25" taller than the stock shield.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Great review!

Looks good on the bike!

Looks a lot like my LRS. I'm sure a man won't go wrong with either brand.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Freedom Shields! I ordered my 6" from John a little over a week before Sturgis and he asked me if I was planning to ride the next weekend. I told him that I was.....I'm always planning on riding on the weekend....and it arrived five days later. Good people!

Their shield is pretty awesome too. I wanted a 6" recurve shield like the LRS I had on my '12 SG and Freedom Shields was the only vendor I talked to that could or would do it. Everyone else had a 7" as a minimum. I'm just under 6' and I also have a C&C Sport Tour that sits lower than stock. I also slouch a little when on the bike...sorry mom, lol.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timely thread. I just installed mine a few days ago as well. John was very responsive via email; he answered several questions I had before ordering. I ended up going w/ the 10" light tint. Took about 9 days to get mine because they were busy. As stated shield is thicker and well constructed. A bit taller than the stock 10" I think because it's more rounded up near the top; or maybe they are measuring from a different point than HD. Anyway I'd say it's about an inch or so higher than stock and initially I wasn't thrilled...it almost interfered w/ my eye-line but not quite. Now that I've ridden it for a few days I'm used to it and it isn't bothersome anymore. If I could turn back the clock I'd have probly gone w/ the 9" and saved an xtra 10 bucks. As it is I tore off the protective film and installed it. Web site says only returns allowed w/ film in tact. He's a really nice guy though so wouldn't be surprised if he'd work w/ you on that. End of the day I'm happy w/ the 10" so not gonna bother with it. Totally missed out on the 10% HDF discount , bummer. Final note: it does redirect air as promised, but now my wife sitting behind me says she's getting more air than she used to w/ the stock. I'm usually riding solo so not a huge deal but keep that in mind if your have frequent passengers. They're going to get the air that used to hit you. Great shield and great service. Recommend.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

have a freedom shield on my Road King and love it.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Great review!

Looks good on the bike!

Looks a lot like my LRS. I'm sure a man won't go wrong with either brand.
Thanks. Everything I read and saw in person, it came down to LRS & Freedom. People tend to be happy with both. The things that swayed my decision were:
1. John was super-friendly on the phone and very helpful. I'm in sales and am willing to pay for good service.
2. I couldn't find pics of the LRS windshields on on my model on their website. Freedom has user photos, so while it's not exactly what I was looking for, it was much better.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write up. Had a 9 in on my 07 bought it from John first day he had product. Ran it for 4 or 5 years. Will be ordering another 9 in for the new bike.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
Thanks. Everything I read and saw in person, it came down to LRS & Freedom. People tend to be happy with both. The things that swayed my decision were:
1. John was super-friendly on the phone and very helpful. I'm in sales and am willing to pay for good service.
2. I couldn't find pics of the LRS windshields on on my model on their website. Freedom has user photos, so while it's not exactly what I was looking for, it was much better.
I get that...

I put a few on here a while back... No, it's not a Street Glide, the the fairing is the same.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

I love John and his shields. They are the only ones I will run!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Good call,looks great.....9 inch at your height sounds right.Should serve you well rain or shine.

Quick Reply: Freedom Shield Review