Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack or lift table?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Bohacker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack or lift table?

I'm looking for a lift for my SGS. I've down selected to two options.

Lift table:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...cle-ATV-Lift_2

Pros: good working height, can work standing up
Cons: not mobile, wheels remain fixed on table, need dedicated space, pricey

Jack:
http://www.jsjacks.com/motorcycle-lift/

Pros: mobile, wheels elevated, bike is mobile while lifted, inexpensive
Cons: cannot do most work standing, requires a seat for comfort

I'm leaning towards the jack as it seems to have more versatility and has a much smaller storage footprint. Looking for opinions to help me finalize my decision. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I personally like a lift table you can get one from harbor freight for 300 bux.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Hozzie
Cruiser

I think they both have a purpose, but since I don't want to take up so much dedicated space for a lift, I went with the J&S. It gets the bike high enough that I can sit on a roll around stool and work on the bike comfortably around the engine area and it is nice for washing the bike. It also lifts high enough to comfortably do many things while standing. I don't move my bike around on it (just don't have a big need), but if you have a need to do that the J&S works well too.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Bohacker
Road Master

I'll have to go to HF and see if they have one I can look at. In general I'm usually cautious on what I buy at HF. I hate to go cheap on an item I'm gonna use to lift a $20+K bike. Of course, not a big fan of throwing money away either.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Bohacker
Road Master

I don't have a big need for mobility while lifted but I can certainly see the scenario where I lift the bike to do some work, something goes wrong or I just forgot a part I need, I have to wait a few days for the part to arrive. It'd be nice to be able to move the bike out of the way during the wait.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't blame you there , but for what's worth I have been using a HF Jack for 8 years now with no problems .the lIft table they have is a manual jack type. I have been using a friend's from time to time until I can get my own.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Get the jack first. if somewhere down the road you see the need (or have the extra cash) then get the table. I could see how having both would be useful anyway. I don't have the table because of space. But would like to have one.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the lift I just got a lot better than the jack I used to use.

It does take up more floor space but it is so dang handy to have the bike up where you don't have to sit or bend over. Pretty sure you wont be sorry if you get a lift, oil changes and cleaning the rear wheel is a breeze now. Using the jack made oil changes a pita on my bike fwtw.

I built plywood platforms that sit on either side so when I ride on lift I have a place for my feet then later if I want to move the lift I can easily stack them in a corner.

I also put 1 concrete anchor at the front of it so it doesn't move forward when I ride on and I can unbolt it and move lift later on if I need the space. hope that helps

Last edited by Car Doc; 08-22-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

I've been using a lift for 20 years or so. A couple years back I bought a yellow jack from Sears, yellow being their better one which goes lower and is made of aluminum. I still find myself using the lift most all the time. Other than removing a front wheel the lift will do everything the jack can. The lift clamps the front wheel and holds the bike level and securely. It's easy to slide drain pans anywhere under or along side the bike. To lift the rear wheel while on the lift I just slide a little jack under the bike a little rear of center. Actually I've backed bikes on my lift clamping the rear wheel in order to lift up the front so even front wheel removal can be accomplished. A lift does take a space and parking is tight so I just leave one bike on the lift.

As far as the jack I have to position it just right when raising my EG up on it otherwise it wants to lean. My Dyna isn't flat underneath so the jack wouldn't work unless I improvised something. I ended up just ordering the "jack adapters" that HD makes. Obviously use care when applying a lot of torque to the bike like loosening an axle nut. And allow for the balance to change when removing a wheel assembly.

For me the jack is a little more convenient for detailing wheels but everything else I like the lift better. If I were to have only one it would definitely be a table lift. In fact I should just sell my jack because I've only used it a couple times.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Bohacker
Road Master

Good input here, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Jack or lift table?