Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer used my biike as Demo bike after my Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
jds1971
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer used my biike as Demo bike after my Purchase

Need some advice form this forum. I recently purchased a "new" 2014 Shrine edition Limited from an out of state dealer sight unseeen and had it shipped to me. Long story short this was supposed to be a "new" bike. All the paperwork I signed showed the mileage at 2 miles and the in-transit title I received showed 2 miles.

I bought the bike and finalized the paperwork on July 26th. The bike was supposedly picked up by the shipping company on Aug 6th and was told it didn't get unloaded at the transport hub in time to meet the following week delivery. It was then placed on the delivery truck on August 16th and delivered August 20th. When the bike came of the truck:
1) Battery was dead...didn't put it in transport mode
2) The bike was absolutely filthy, not just being in a shipping truck filthy, but looked like someone road it down a dirt road. I know this because when i went to jump start the bike the under seat area and the the back rim were covered in dirt, side covers all covered in dirt on the inside, etc...
3) once I got the bike started it showed 555 miles on it! I was so totally pissed.

I called and right away they offered me a free back rest and said he new it had some miles maybe 75 or 100 but not 555. He said just let em know what to do to make it right.

Well what would other members here do?

UPDATE: just to keep people from piling on this post

Originally Posted by jds1971
I answered the resolution earlier....in the detail A$$ holes here want ....obviously not. I came here for opinions and to help decide my course of action. Yes I was more than happy with the resolution. Yes the whole situation sucked. However i don't feel the need to disclose all the financials of the entire transaction. Disclosure of the entire deal is liable to cause more uproar than good.

For those that stood by Thanks...for those that gave their opinion ( I asked for it) Thanks....for those that provided useless trashing posts....FU. Karma is a b**ch!

Last edited by jds1971; 08-22-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: More information
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a new bike. Did you accept the bike? If the paperwork shows to have 2 miles on it, I would think you would some legal recourse.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Wow. Contact the Moco and start a complaint with them? Have you spoken to the sales manager at the dealership you bought it at?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
MDStbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be asking for more than a backrest.That is just bad business. Is there a way to send it back? I would want a new bike, lord only knows what could have been damaged while it was demoed. I have seen bikes that are demos, they are not treated well at all. Just my opinion.

Jim

Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Do they have another? Not sure how it was ridden for that 500 miles. Probably no worries but a deal is a deal. Backrest? That is a few hundred at least but if I was buying new, I want new. Is that model hard to find? Do they have another? Pix of the condition you got it in?

Good luck. Post your decision.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Get a new bike. A bike with two miles on it. Like they allegedly sold you. 555 miles? That is a used bike. Back rest? WTF? Good luck.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jds1971
Need some advice form this forum. I recently purchased a "new" 2014 Shrine edition Limited from an out of state dealer sight unseeen and had it shipped to me. Long story short this was supposed to be a "new" bike. All the paperwork I signed showed the mileage at 2 miles and the in-transit title I received showed 2 miles.

I bought the bike and finalized the paperwork on July 26th. The bike was supposedly picked up by the shipping company on Aug 6th and was told it didn't get unloaded at the transport hub in time to meet the following week delivery. It was then placed on the delivery truck on August 16th and delivered August 20th. When the bike came of the truck:
1) Battery was dead...didn't put it in transport mode
2) The bike was absolutely filthy, not just being in a shipping truck filthy, but looked like someone road it down a dirt road. I know this because when i went to jump start the bike the under seat area and the the back rim were covered in dirt, side covers all covered in dirt on the inside, etc...
3) once I got the bike started it showed 555 miles on it! I was so totally pissed.

I called and right away they offered me a free back rest and said he new it had some miles maybe 75 or 100 but not 555. He said just let em know what to do to make it right.

Well what would other members here do?
Be intelligent about it...is the bike what you want, minus the 555? If so and he seems truly sorry for the oversight, then ask for something reasonable. Lawyers or filing a complaint is a waste of time in this case. The bike runs as it should, and its appearance is suitable...ride it and forget about the small aggravation...life is too short for that.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM
blazink5
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

F@#$ that, demand a new bike.

CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not acceptable! You bought and signed for a NEW bike. A bike with 555 miles isn't new.

turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it as lesson learned. Never buy anything over $500 sight unseen. You can send it back (at your expense) or just grin and bear it........

Quick Reply: Dealer used my biike as Demo bike after my Purchase