Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid motor sprocket VS. SE compensator

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default solid motor sprocket VS. SE compensator

ok so if people are having problems with stock compensator, why not got to a solid motor sprocket? why go with a screaming eagle comp?

any pro's or cons out there?

i am looking at the evolution industries 34 tooth solid motor sprocket specifically.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Riders complain about a solid drivetrain ( knuck, pan, shovel) as they get driveline shocks with changes in throttle position.

the comp gives some cush, esp as the TC 103 makes almost twice the power and 1/2 the flywheel weight of my '53 74".

the comp seems to be the next weak link in the chain we find when doing performance work.

I've been ok with my evo comps for many many miles ( and my FXRP is a hipo motor).
My 09 is staying at stage 1 and so far, so good.

I think the comp works harder in the TC because of the lighter bottom end

But...

You could certainly try a solid drive but I don't know how streetable you'd find it

the belt drive primaries are usually solid drive

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-22-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Big twins have had a crankshaft compensator (more suitably called a damper) to ease the load on the drive train and rider since Noah was a boy. It amazes me that the MoCo hasn't sorted out the latest version of the darned things yet. As for a solid sprocket I suspect that will make for a challenging ride, especially with a tuned engine.

It'll be interesting to hear of any experiences with them.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Big twins have had a crankshaft compensator (more suitably called a damper) to ease the load on the drive train and rider since Noah was a boy. .
Noah rode an Evo ?

Mike

Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Noah rode an Evo ?

Mike
I'm sure he did - or his Dad.....

Old 08-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

There is the BDL version, a few on here have been using,so far so good, waiting for long term endurance evaluations, Also GMR the Compensaver maker is testing a PEEK thrust washer to replace the needle bearings in the 14a version SE comp, Which I ended up with at the time I needed to replace mine. I've been watching and waiting patiently. So far no Issues with the new SE comp, I installed with the compensaver and Hayden tensioner.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 08-22-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spellin,added photo
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

On my third comp and seriously looked at a solid one but think it may just cause the poor crank to scissor sooner??? Added another spring washer to mine.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 PM
rock111559
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a Drag Specialties 21 tooth compensating sprocket and chain kit in my 2003 dyna and it's NUTS....lol
My friends call it "Stupid Quick". Of course I've done a few other things to it also.
But back to the 23 tooth. The shovel heads ran a 23 tooth and you can still find them at the parts stores or on eBay, along with a Baker Fat Shoe. They fit and work prefect, WITHOUT any extra noise.
Honestly the best way to go is a compensator eliminator sprocket. And don't let some ******* tell you that you can't do that. ALL PRIMARY BELT DRIVE SYSTEMS ARE DIRECT AND WITHOUT ANY KIND OF COMPENSATING FRONT DRIVE PULLYS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Drag Tech

The following 2 users liked this post by rock111559:
1 2 many (05-30-2019), BruceZ (06-24-2023)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

No comp on a press fit crank. No thanks.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

I suspect the initial result will be a less pleasant ride. Proof: with the 96 also came the isolated drive rear pulley indicating that even the fully functioning compensator wasn't enough for rider comfort. Returning the full engine shock load to the rest of components designed with a compensator in mind will generate a design study in which is the next weakest component. Just as a few of the old style comps have gone the distance on the 96 engines (most have not) there will be a few who will use a solid sprocket and suffer no resulting failures but I am confident that many won't be so lucky. As is always the case, it is your machine, do as you wish but I believe you create a less comfortable ride and reduced dependability. I am just a rider and driver who has always maintained his own vehicles. I am NOT an engineer or professional mechanic. I have over 60,000 miles on the the basic SE compensator I installed on my 96 ci 2008 Road King in 2009. So far so good. The SE comp has been changed several times since mine and the current design appears to address all of the previous weak spots. I will not have any concerns about the new design if I ever have to replace my current compensator. As for the belt drive primaries, I take it as an article of faith that any belt is going to be at least slightly more elastic than a steal drive chain thus able to absorb at least some of the shock that a chain would pass right through.

Quick Reply: solid motor sprocket VS. SE compensator