Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hand Shields

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been using these for a few years now and thought I would only use in cold season. Never took them off.

They became a permanent part of my bike after a couple rides where large hard objects hit them and saved my hands.

One was a marble size rock that hit the upper part with a loud sound and clipped the mirror, after looking at the impact spot it would likely have hit right between my knuckles, ouch.

The other time was a large hunk of treebark came loose from a loaded logging truck, it was about the size of my hand. The bark was fresh and heavy and actually bent the handguard on impact, bounced downward to deflect off my lower knee and ended up staying with the bike, that is how I know it was heavy.

Bug impacts are different as they seem to splatter but I noticed bee and big bug impacts are almost non existent as the airflow is changed a good bit.

No more thoughts of a mad bee or wasp up the sleeve and gauntlet gloves are rarely used.

My hands are so much warmer and drier too.

The style might not appeal to many but the functional aspect sure does.

I for one like them and the company has great customer support, several years after purchase the interior sticker started to shrink up and bubble, even though I explained in the email I sent I did not buy them, my brother did a new set of stickers were sent right out. I was asking how much and they just sent them. To me that is pretty great.

That is all I have to say about that !!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I saw an ad in a magazine for hand guards with lights in them. That would be useful at night so cars can see you better. Or maybe use for turn signals and ditch the stock ones...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Of all the categories we bikers can be broken down into, one general theme maybe those whose bikes favor the view while parked (ie appearance matters most) and those who favor the view from the handle bars (ride comfort).

It is always surprising to me when those whose bikes where appearance matters most jump in a thread about something that is practical when riding and perhaps not the most attractive when parked.

While I am happy that some of you don't want them, I am surprised that on a thread about handguards, you feel the need to tell us you don't want them. That is like being a Vegan and going into a burger joint and being surprised that they offer burgers. I am happy you are a vegan, but I don't need to know or in other words I don't really care if your hands get cold or wet, I mind if mine do so those who use hand guards have opinions that matter to me.

It is raining here. Hand guards matter as my commute is 30 miles each way at hwy speeds. Besides, in the wetside of Washington, riding in the rain triples our riding season. Go ahead a post you don't like them, don't want them, think they are ugly as I can ignore your post, but it does seem off topic if you don't have anything to add beyond your dislike of something.

I would have looked at these had I not already been using and enjoying my National Cycle. I appreciated those who posted photos as despite liking comfort, I like my bike to look good. But it is a rider and not a show bike. When I parked next to my buddies bike, his is the one everyone looks at. But riding in the rain is a rare treat for him and a constant issue for me.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Not for me either, but hey it's your ride ,go for it. JR

Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Why not just keep the bars/hands behind the fairing where they belong??? Apes long silly on fairinged bike...

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a set i got off ebay for $60. i had to flatten them out so that they would help at all. couldnt get over how they looked so i took them off and they didnt seem to help that much. thye did on the finger tips but not really on the knuckles. ill probably try them again this winter. but i hate taking my mirrors off cause its so hard to get them back to the spots i want them. if i do put them on ill post some pics on here

Last edited by escalade6103; 10-21-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: change
Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Why not just keep the bars/hands behind the fairing where they belong??? Apes long silly on fairinged bike...

I would if I had a permanent fairing !! But alas I ride a Road King and even when I I stick the batwing on my hands are exposed somewhat. I just leave them on !!

oldhippie do you participate in any toy runs like the Grass Valley one ??

Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
oldhippie do you participate in any toy runs like the Grass Valley one ??
Don't do toy/cop/flag runs but do have family in Nevada City.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've bee using the National Cycle wind deflectors for years.

I fist put them on my 2000 Ultra after I installed a wide set of handlebars.

The guy who bought that bike liked them so I left them on that bike and ordered another set for my new bike.

I've had a lot of folks ask about them, even H-D sales people.

I put H-D decals on them and I think I may have them "back painted" over the winter.

I think they provide more protection from wind, rain, rocks, etc. than they do cold. For the cold, I have heated grips and heated gloves, which is THE way to go!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Umm........why?
Cause he doesn't have a Geezer Glide fairing (bat wing) and he rides no matter what the conditions?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-22-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: New Hand Shields