Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Octane A.K.A., Unleaded Regular

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 AM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 Ultra runs just fine year round in Phoenix on 87. Bike definitely runs better in cooler weather, but does not ping on any grade of fuel, even in summer. Every time I try a tank of 89 or 91, even in summer, no difference. My mpg goes UP with lower octane fuel especially fall through spring.

Also I did not know as the octane goes up more detergents are added. News to me.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Higher Octane fuel burns slower than the regular. Harley tunes your bikes to run on this slower burning fuel to reduce the occurance of knock.

If you switch to a lower octane fuel, you might be causing problems other than knock. Not all pre ignition can be precieved by the rider.

Most modern engines use a knock sensor to dial back timing when knock is identified. Most drivers will never hear this knock as the sensor is much more sensitive to it's occurrence.

It's your bike. Feed it what you wish.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I ran the pure unleaded (non ethanol) gas in Sturgis and the 07 Street Glide ran like a champ.

Last edited by E8USMCRET; 08-28-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
This topic comes up quite often. I will throw my two cents in. Yes, higher octane is often un-needed, but there is so much more to premium fuel, than just OCTANE! I run premium fuel for all the benefits that many fail to acknowledge. Not the least bit of which is the added detergents that help keep fuel injectors clean. But since most of these threads turn into a battle over the benefits, or unnecessary reasons for use, of octane, I will leave it as this. There are many reasons that people use premium fuel, that have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the octane rating or ping. Please, run whatever fuel you are comfortable with. I would never put anything in my motorcycle other than premium. But that's just me.

Oh, goodie! A fuel thread! Seriously, Bikerlaw has it nailed...the other things to be aware of is one fillup of fuel means nothing...need to do it for a while...the first fillup contains a lot of the fuel that was in there.

I am in the habit of filling with 91 octane higher zoot fuel whenever I have the choice...Chevron with Techron is my first choice then Shell, Mobil, Unocal, and everything else after that...I'll run some Sea Foam thru, and some Startron, just for ducks...but if your bike runs good on the cheap stuff, yeah, do it, I'm not so certain that I, and everybody else running expensive stuff thru our bikes, aren't throwing our money away...

For me, I get peace of mind out of it, just like changing my synthetic oil every three thousand miles. The scientists will tell you that's a waste of money, time, and effort...but then again, I'm not a scientist...

Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm filling up my Bimmer with 87 today at lunch. NOT!! I like bikerlaw's post. I know that BMW references the detergents more than they reference the octane.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
This topic comes up quite often. I will throw my two cents in. Yes, higher octane is often un-needed, but there is so much more to premium fuel, than just OCTANE! I run premium fuel for all the benefits that many fail to acknowledge. Not the least bit of which is the added detergents that help keep fuel injectors clean. But since most of these threads turn into a battle over the benefits, or unnecessary reasons for use, of octane, I will leave it as this. There are many reasons that people use premium fuel, that have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the octane rating or ping. Please, run whatever fuel you are comfortable with. I would never put anything in my motorcycle other than premium. But that's just me.

I used to work at a golf course; the mechanic there did an experiment toshow the Superintendent that running super-unleaded was better than regular.They took two brand new lawnmowers and tagged them so on would only run superand the other regular. I don't know the actual times so not going to guess herebut for the purpose of demonstration, the one running regular was toast afterthe expected amount of cycles but the one running super was still going strong.

This could be due to tolerances and inconsistencies in QA but they startedrunning super in all the equipment after that and probably still do to thisday.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Not sure where you're getting your information, but factory compression is 9.6 or 9.7:1, not 8.5, BIG difference. Was it a typo on your part?

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
It's been quite warm around here and was unsure of outcome when I started running 86. (city and highway) Turns out, to my surprise, is there was no 'noticeable' difference in the performance. My bike has 51000 miles and is stock except for the PCV and Autotuner and exhaust. I do run a rich map for cooling so I suspect this is why the bike still ran so well with the lower grade gas. If the map was lean then I'm pretty sure the bike would have shown its displeasure.
I figure the recommended 91 min is due to the lean maps these bikes come with from the factory. 8.5 to 1 is not a very high compression and seldom needs the high octane. What I find myself forced to do is run the higher octane in the fall as it's the only way to run with no methanol.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put my first tank of regular in to test as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I have run 89 Octane in my 14 SG like every other tank of Gas, and premium the other
part of the time. Here in Reno Nevada our altitude is mostly 4400 feet above sea level
and can go up form there. Most people are not aware that the higher the altitude the less
Octane an engine requires. As far as to the additives in the gas, Fuel Injected engines,
requires more then our old carbureted engines of the 70's & 80's, that is all I have to say.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I stick to 91 (highest available in my region). I never realized this was supposed to be performance related issue but do understand it to be a long term damage issue. Ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts water) so storage with it in your tank isn't good. Ethanol run in air cooled engines, not designed to accommodate the extra heat it generates, is apparently also not a good thing. It doesn't surprise me in the least that those seeking to pose as smarter than the MoCo engineers can burn a tank of 87 Ethanol and cry "Voila" nothing bad happened. IMHO their epiphany misses the point.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane A.K.A., Unleaded Regular