Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Power Commander hello Zippers

Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Goodbye Power Commander hello Zippers

After sending my PCIII back to DynoJet and having them tell me there was nothing wrong with it..even though a spare PCIII and ECM without the PCIII were not throwing codes, I have decided to ditch DynoJet and go with a closed lop EFI from Zippers. I put the tested unit back in the bike and it was still tossing the same code it was when I sent it to them for repair. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. The response from DynoJet was underwhelming.

I have been around vehicle electronics for years, I am a pretty good diagnostic guy.

When the stock bike doesn't code, and an identical PCIII is installed and doesn't give codes for the rear injector being a problem, that leads me to think the problem is the module.

My local HD guru agrees and verified my diagnostic.

DynoJet is saying I have an electrical problem on the bike.

The bike has 18K on it, stays in a climate controlled garage, and none of the connectors I looked at appeared to be damaged or oxidized. Weather proof connectors are a great thing.

I also replaced the rear injector connector due to concerns about wire chafing that was a problem in my year. Even after replacing the connector and soldering/heat shrinking the connections, the PCIII was tossing a code.

I have a almost new Harley battery, the regulator is giving proper voltage across the board, the stator is fully functional.

So even though the stock ECM does not code, and the loaner PCIII which is older than the one I sent back for testing works fine, DynoJet says it is not their problem, but for 200 bucks they will sell me a PC V.

So for 2 bills I can get a product I have no faith in, or I can spend an additional 450 and get closed loop self tuning EFI... (my bike has O2 bungs ready for 18mm wide band sensors)

Sorry DynoJet, but after the last BS email, I'll try the Thundermax.... I ordered it tonight, hopefully it will be here by the weekend. I have watched the installation video... pretty cut and dry IMHO. Not much different than replacing any cars ECM and reflashing it.

I am looking at 2014's and if I decide to add one to the stable, I can tell you it will not be getting a DynoJet tuner.... rant over

Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
After sending my PCIII back to DynoJet and having them tell me there was nothing wrong with it..even though a spare PCIII and ECM without the PCIII were not throwing codes, I have decided to ditch DynoJet and go with a closed lop EFI from Zippers. I put the tested unit back in the bike and it was still tossing the same code it was when I sent it to them for repair. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. The response from DynoJet was underwhelming.

I have been around vehicle electronics for years, I am a pretty good diagnostic guy.

When the stock bike doesn't code, and an identical PCIII is installed and doesn't give codes for the rear injector being a problem, that leads me to think the problem is the module.

My local HD guru agrees and verified my diagnostic.

DynoJet is saying I have an electrical problem on the bike.

The bike has 18K on it, stays in a climate controlled garage, and none of the connectors I looked at appeared to be damaged or oxidized. Weather proof connectors are a great thing.

I also replaced the rear injector connector due to concerns about wire chafing that was a problem in my year. Even after replacing the connector and soldering/heat shrinking the connections, the PCIII was tossing a code.

I have a almost new Harley battery, the regulator is giving proper voltage across the board, the stator is fully functional.

So even though the stock ECM does not code, and the loaner PCIII which is older than the one I sent back for testing works fine, DynoJet says it is not their problem, but for 200 bucks they will sell me a PC V.

So for 2 bills I can get a product I have no faith in, or I can spend an additional 450 and get closed loop self tuning EFI... (my bike has O2 bungs ready for 18mm wide band sensors)

Sorry DynoJet, but after the last BS email, I'll try the Thundermax.... I ordered it tonight, hopefully it will be here by the weekend. I have watched the installation video... pretty cut and dry IMHO. Not much different than replacing any cars ECM and reflashing it.

I am looking at 2014's and if I decide to add one to the stable, I can tell you it will not be getting a DynoJet tuner.... rant over
You will love that T Max..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Had to do same thing on 120r. Could not get it to run correctly with PV.

Dyno tuned still ran poorly. Installed tmax.

Different bike, runs strong, less heat, more power.

110 that was in bike prior to 120r, the PV worked great. Same dyno guy as well. Cant figure it out unless PV does not like big injectors or something... who knows

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great. I just decided to ditch the PC5 and go to the PV route. Was debating on going the Thundermax route and was split. Ended up just snagging a PV but would be interested in hearing your results with the Thunder.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Tmax was the ticket on 120r. Despite a multi year relationship with PV. Would not go back.

Tmax rocks the 120r.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM
letsgomurphys
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, I think you'll love the thundermax. I tried a Cobra programmer on my '14 Street Glide. Ran terrible and inconsistent. I installed the thundermax, played with it for a few minutes, and everything is much better. The only issue I have seen is the eitms feature doesn't work with the thundermax.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

So far so good, the bike runs a LOT smoother, the power rolls on better, the only issue I have is hot starting, and that is probably because it is still self tuning.

the bike has never run this well.

It was not cheap, but it was worth it. No more octopus wiring under the side cover either.

I'll let you know how the hot start issue works out.
I really suspect it is a learning issue. If not maybe I need to take some timing advance out of it at cranking

I also want to add a few RPM's to the idle, with the 509 gear drives I want to see 1K idle speed it is currently about 850

But I am thrilled with it so far!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 threads bashing a company that wanted to do right by you?

Feel better?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bashing a company over a 9 year old previously used PC3 as well.

I am all about customer service, but you don't return a bike after 9 years and they give you a new engine right?

You can't fix stupid......

Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpowell490
Bashing a company over a 9 year old previously used PC3 as well.

I am all about customer service, but you don't return a bike after 9 years and they give you a new engine right?

You can't fix stupid......
a 9 year old unit with 14000 miles on it.

Now maybe you know something I don't know about electronics

What do I know. Nothing. Those 4 years of vocational school for electronics, a First Class FCC License ( Broadcast Engineer) ticket in my wallet, Former Chief Engineer for 2 major market FM stations, ASE and ICAR certs for vehicle electronics, I helped develop the first successful wind turbine facility in the country.... I designed circuit boards.

Are the ECM's fo 9 year old cars crapping out? Not in big numbers, sporadically at best. Are the ECM's of Harleys crapping out after 9 years? Not that I have heard of most of us are running our OEM parts unless we have gone aftermarket.

I can tell you Kawasaki ECM's never fail, I have never seen ONE and that includes the one in my 1985 GPz550 that still starts and runs

Ever see a TV repair shop? Guess why? Because solid state electronics rarely fail unless subjected to static or voltage surges, capacitors rarely go bad anymore, etc etc etc. Work on RF equipment for a while and you'll appreciate the advances in electronics, especially when the transmitter is in a shack in a swamp or on top of a mountain.

I'm sorry that I didn't get the memo that Dyno Jet doesn't think their product has a long lifespan. This bike averages 1500 miles a year, although this past year it has gone over 3000.

Now even if for some reason I got one of the rare ones that did have a failure out of warranty, I would expect that after paying a fee to have it repaired, I would get it back FIXED, not tossing the same codes. Please remember the bike is not tossing codes with the stock ECM or Stock ECM with another PCIII installed.

Dyno Jet Research's answer to my email asking why is my bike tossing codes with only that PCIII installed is to blame my electrical system. I do not think that is the case, nor does the local HD mechanic that has worked on this bike with me for the last 9 years.

We will agree to disagree on this, but I stand by my opinion that Dyno Jet failed to fix it, and BTW the THundermax is the efn ballz, and it is not tossing one code.

Oh and BTW I just had a customer car (Nissan Atlima) with a bad CVT transmission in the shop, Nissan is putting a brand new transmission in at NO COST and the car is 10 years old w/ 119K on the clocks.

Toyota is replacing frames on Pick up trucks that are 15 years old at no charge to the consumer

Glock will replace every part in the gun and replace the frame if needed for the lifetime of the weapon for a small fee... like 70 bucks.

But I digress.....

Did I mention the lifetime warranty on Snap-On hand tools?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye Power Commander hello Zippers