Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Wood TW222 cams for Andrews 57

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping Wood TW222 cams for Andrews 57

I put the 222's in my 2014 SGS about a month ago. Running decat header, Jackpot 4" mufflers, SE A/C. Bike runs very strong with the map Jamie from Fuel Moto sent me and I smart tuned. However..... Its undeniable that these cams fall off sharply at 4K. I never shift at 4K, I should have realized this before making the purchase. I was thinking the 222's would run out at least as well as the TW6 cams I have in my Softail Deuce. It is simply not the case. Now don't get me wrong, the bike is a torque monster down low and has all the tire smoking, front wheel lifting power you need from idle up till....well 4K then it pretty much falls flat on its face is my opinion. Sure I thought about installing a -4* gear, but nah...

I am replacing the 222's with the Andrews 57. My research shows me that these are the Andrews 37 cams with higher lift. The power band will shift upwards in the RPM range and I am sure they will pull good up to 5500 RPMS. I also anticipate a much better sounding idle from the 57 cams and I love to hear a little lope at idle.

So, new cams will be here Thursday and I will take the 3 or 4 hours and swap them out. If the 57's prove to perform as I expect, the 222's will be up for sale. Now who has a tuned SEPST map that also has the 57's installed in a 103 that is willing to share? LOL

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking at those same cams for my '12 SG. Do you plan to dyno after the 57 install? I'm really curious as to your review of them when you get them installed, I'm leaning towards the 57H as well.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser

I have a dnyo tuned map from a 2014 SGS that has the SE204 cams installed that I got from a forum member here. I will use that as a start up map and may have to pull the timing back just a little. If the 57's run and perform in the RPM range I'm looking for then I will spend the money for a dyno tune to tweak it for performance and mileage.

(FYI) I found the 57's for $224 at Parts Direct and called Dennis Kirk and they beat the price. For a little over $200 and a few gaskets/o rings, I don't mind giving the cams a try. With the increased compression in the 2014 bikes the 57's should perform nicely.

Last edited by razorsedge; 08-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the 57's and there a great cam for the 10.1 comp. that the Limited offers. The more you twist the throttle the harder she pulls. I'm running the Jackpot 2-1-2 ceramic coated pipe with RC 4" mufflers with a little more work on the baffles and tuned with a PowerVision. Bikes runs awesome period. Here's the dyno sheet if that means anything to you guys.

Attached Thumbnails Swapping Wood TW222 cams for Andrews 57-2014-limited.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Have you ever ridden a bike with modified heads as well as cams? Heads make a huge difference for the rider who love to shift in the 5,000 to 6,000 RPM range.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser

That dyno graph looks nice. The hp and tq lines intersect at 5300 RPM's, still at 100 each the bike falls right back to the RPM area of increasing torque when you shift to the next gear as the hp continues to climb. That's what I'm looking for! Thanks!

I feel like I have to watch the tach too close with the TW222 cams, if you rev past 4K and then you shift you are right back where torque starts dropping off with very little revs left to go before you need to shift again. You never get a chance to wind the bike out with the 222's, you have to shift-shift-shift-shift to stay in the peak hp/tq band. I think the 222's are for heavy touring bikes, riding 2 up and loaded down. Now if you want to pop wheelies and burn out from a dead stop and smoke the tires till 2nd gear then the 222's are the way to go. I think with 2 identical bikes with the difference is these cams the bike with the 222' will jump out ahead but the bike with the 57's will run it down and you won't have to worry about shifting so quickly. JMHO. I think the only trade off with the 57's is the fact that when you need to pass in a hurry you may have to down shift once.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Have you ever ridden a bike with modified heads as well as cams? Heads make a huge difference for the rider who love to shift in the 5,000 to 6,000 RPM range.
Actually yes, My Softail Deuce is 95ci, SE Heads, gear driven Wood cams, V/H Propipe. I bought the SE heads brand new, shipped them to Steve at GMR and he ported them, matched the intake to head ports, actually installed a little lighter spring to match the lift of the cams in order to reduce any wasted energy. The way my Deuce runs is why I know what I want, my Deuce is a freakin hotrod.

I realize if I would have went with the Wood 777 and had my heads worked on the SGS I would probably be where I wanted to be but I don't have the tools or knowledge to work the heads myself and don't want the down time during the riding season. I can swap the cams in less than 3 hours.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 AM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by razorsedge
Actually yes, My Softail Deuce is 95ci, SE Heads, gear driven Wood cams, V/H Propipe. I bought the SE heads brand new, shipped them to Steve at GMR and he ported them, matched the intake to head ports, actually installed a little lighter spring to match the lift of the cams in order to reduce any wasted energy. The way my Deuce runs is why I know what I want, my Deuce is a freakin hotrod.

I realize if I would have went with the Wood 777 and had my heads worked on the SGS I would probably be where I wanted to be but I don't have the tools or knowledge to work the heads myself and don't want the down time during the riding season. I can swap the cams in less than 3 hours.
Your going to love that cam..

Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by razorsedge
I put the 222's in my 2014 SGS about a month ago. Running decat header, Jackpot 4" mufflers, SE A/C. Bike runs very strong with the map Jamie from Fuel Moto sent me and I smart tuned. However..... Its undeniable that these cams fall off sharply at 4K. I never shift at 4K, I should have realized this before making the purchase. I was thinking the 222's would run out at least as well as the TW6 cams I have in my Softail Deuce. It is simply not the case. Now don't get me wrong, the bike is a torque monster down low and has all the tire smoking, front wheel lifting power you need from idle up till....well 4K then it pretty much falls flat on its face is my opinion. Sure I thought about installing a -4* gear, but nah...

I am replacing the 222's with the Andrews 57. My research shows me that these are the Andrews 37 cams with higher lift. The power band will shift upwards in the RPM range and I am sure they will pull good up to 5500 RPMS. I also anticipate a much better sounding idle from the 57 cams and I love to hear a little lope at idle.

So, new cams will be here Thursday and I will take the 3 or 4 hours and swap them out. If the 57's prove to perform as I expect, the 222's will be up for sale. Now who has a tuned SEPST map that also has the 57's installed in a 103 that is willing to share? LOL
Inbox me with your info. I am ready to buy the 222s off you right now. First dibs...lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the 57H cams in my SG and couldn't be happier. Even two up I have plenty of power to pass in 6th gear. Cruising at 2000 RPM is nice and smooth as well. A buddy of mine has Woods 555 in his SG and we are pretty much dead even in 5th gear roll-ons and stoplight drags.

Quick Reply: Swapping Wood TW222 cams for Andrews 57