Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Butt Ride and Tail of the Dragon

Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Iron Butt Ride and Tail of the Dragon

Completed my 2nd Iron Butt ride last Thursday. 1st one on the Street Glide and it was definitely easier than on my Dyna.
We were going to do the 1500 miles in 36 also but we got behind early because we went down 129 and hit the Dragon. We opted out since the only way would of been with no sleep and we didn't think that would be safe.
We did have a guy take a spill on the dragon. No major damage to bike and some mild road rash to him.
All in all it was a good run.
Few pics

A few from the dragon

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (09-25-2019)
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like a heck of a day. Congrats on the Iron butt ride. Never have tried one.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a fun ride. I did 850-900 in a day on my Limited. 1000 would have been doable except most of that day was in the rain and I just got plain tired of getting wet.

Do the IRON BUTT folks still require you to start and finish at the same location or do the accept a straight run?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,236 Likes on 808 Posts

Yea, playing on the likes of the dragon is not the way to rack up miles. But hey, saddle sore gets you the licence plate frame just like the bun burner does. ;-)

Old 08-26-2014, 02:08 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Do the IRON BUTT folks still require you to start and finish at the same location or do the accept a straight run?
you can do it either way, details on their website

Old 08-26-2014, 02:50 PM
RCVANDAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride and love the photos, sparks off the bike in the corner is an awesome shot! I have an IronButt mapped out in the state of Washington of about 1100 miles along Hwy 12 in the south and across Hwy 20 in the north going ccw around the state. Google says over 20 hours plus and those roads are not exactly the type where your can just set your cruise. Not sure its a good route to try for that type of ride.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RCVANDAL
Nice ride and love the photos, sparks off the bike in the corner is an awesome shot! I have an IronButt mapped out in the state of Washington of about 1100 miles along Hwy 12 in the south and across Hwy 20 in the north going ccw around the state. Google says over 20 hours plus and those roads are not exactly the type where your can just set your cruise. Not sure its a good route to try for that type of ride.
Non interstate can make it tough. First one we did was mapped out with a lot of it on back roads but had to adjust the day of to avoid weather. Still did a long stretch on some back roads and it really eats up the time. It's not so much the roads but the time it takes going thru all the small towns.
To give you a idea it took 4 1/2 hours from the time we got off the interstate till we got back on after running 129. Only went 144 miles in that time. We did have lunch at deals gap and had a few extra stops during that time but you see how it killed time.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:45 PM
NowgFstCat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is doing the iron butt in oct. he wants me to go with h now that I have the RK. Debating not sure if my back can do t but the RK has to be easier than a sporty

Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaier
you can do it either way, details on their website
Thank. Haven't looked at their site in a while. Last I looked it had to be a loop starting and stopping at the same point. Straight interstate run should be pretty easy to pull off in good weather.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Thank. Haven't looked at their site in a while. Last I looked it had to be a loop starting and stopping at the same point. Straight interstate run should be pretty easy to pull off in good weather.

I don't remember them ever requiring it to be a loop. The SS1000 is the easiest of their rides and is really one of the only ones ever done in a loop (not including the coast to coast to coast which would usually either start and stop in jax or san diego).

I've gone more than 1000 miles in one day but I've never documented it. Been planning on doing the Heaven to Hell SS1000 since I live right near the starting point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iron Butt Ride and Tail of the Dragon