Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH on coworkers sportster (but he wanted a touring)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OUCH on coworkers sportster (but he wanted a touring)

Ok well first off, we all know that people don't research much now days, more are worried about "payments" instead of final loan value.... but HOLY DAM!

Now don't judge on the coworker part.... we all work with the ones that, well.... you flip the switch and the bulb is still in the box....

saw a reasonably new sportster 1200 in the lot this morning after work, never saw who was riding it. stock 1200, added a windshield, that was it.... as another coworker (not sportster owner) was asking about my Ultra Classic, he was asking what kind of pricing he was looking at "real world" kind of stuff.

well now here comes the Sportster dude.... kinda jumped in our conversation and said that he wanted a touring bike but he couldn't swing the payments compared to what they gave him on his sportster.... well being the blunt one i am... what was your final cost (after bike + TTL + what ever else) AFTER they picked me up off the ground and he had to REPEAT his purchase price, i about passed out again..... "about $17,4xx" WWWW TTTTT FFFFFFFF man! now here's what he got added

2014 Sportster 1200 custom (black) + TTL
Harley windshield (installed by dealer)
2 year no cost service plan
2 year extended warranty (after factory of course)
$17,400

OM..F....G!

I had to break his little heart when he asked about the total cost of my ultra classic..... yea it's a 2012 compared to a 2014, no extended warranty or service plan and bought it in march of 13..... so it was essentially a year old already, and hit them on the sticker till i got 19k even, before trade in. he just stopped and asked if i had the service plan and warranty..... of course i said no not right now but you can purchase them at any time. once again floored, cause he was told they had to be purchased at the time of the sale...... he said he was quoted at just about 32K for a 2014 ultra classic.... OUCH again.... so he went with a sportster instead!

this is the "local" dealer for you.... and lack of research by purchaser.... WOW! I didn't even want to ask what interest rate or what his payments were.....

Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Six7One
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They saw him coming...

Poor guy.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch is right, so he has a $5,000 windshield.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you ask first about the monthly payment...they know they have sucker. I feel bad for him, but it is " buyer beware" in all aspects.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

They must have loosened him up with a gallon of the orange Kool-Aid before making the deal....

Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

wahet da note be?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sadly it was his mistake and hopefully getting it once is enough to correct him for the next time.

Doesn't matter what you buy you have to look into average costs, and etc. When I upgraded to the new bike my payment is double what my old one was. Though if it wasn't him it would have been someone else.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent many years without my bike because I would not have a payment.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a 2012 Sportster for my wife a couple of weeks ago and paid 6K. No extended warranty or service plan...

Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by spizzyman
I spent many years without my bike because I would not have a payment.
I just paid off my bike. I bought it when it was 8 years old, 2k miles. For $37 a month in interest I have had 30k miles of smiles, well worth it to me. Was a 4 year note that I paid extra on and paid off in 3 and a half years. I paid $13,700 for a FLHTCUI that stills looks and runs great, with a Stage 1.

If I waited until I could "afford" the bike never would have got it. Always would have found something else that needed fixing. Now the bike I couldn't afford is paid off, and any extra money can go into upgrades.

Quick Reply: OUCH on coworkers sportster (but he wanted a touring)