Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More thoughts on the Andrews 57

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get it tuned. If you want more low end torque add some 10.5 to 1 pistons.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I just threw a comment on Lowcountry Joe's thread. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/13153639-post101.html

My bike was sluggish in the lower ranges (below 2200 rpm) I increased the timing by 2* and set my afr to 13.9 and it fixed the problem.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Here's my tune in case anyone would like to look at it and comment.
Just change the .docx to .dt0
If interested here is a SEPST map that I had done for a couple of other bikes. Try it if you like or just look at it. Sure am glad you posted that .dt0 as .docx as I didn't even think of that as the zip is still to large.

Attached Files
Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM
INSteelersFan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new Andrews 4* cam gear if you are intersted let me know.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:28 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
If interested here is a SEPST map that I had done for a couple of other bikes. Try it if you like or just look at it. Sure am glad you posted that .dt0 as .docx as I didn't even think of that as the zip is still to large.

I think that is the file you sent me before. I tried it but still had some pinging.
I went with the 0044sdf004 and copied my old timing charts from my stage one tune into it. That got rid of most of the pings. I still had to drop a few cells to get rid of a few occasional pings.
I'm at a loss trying to figure out why my bike is so prone to pinging. I've had to drop some cells 15 degrees. If you open my file and compare the working set to the original you can see how much I had to take out. I know our gas isn't the best but I only use 91 which is about as good as it gets around here.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

I think that is the file you sent me before. I tried it but still had some pinging.
I went with the 0044sdf004 and copied my old timing charts from my stage one tune into it. That got rid of most of the pings. I still had to drop a few cells to get rid of a few occasional pings.
I'm at a loss trying to figure out why my bike is so prone to pinging. I've had to drop some cells 15 degrees. If you open my file and compare the working set to the original you can see how much I had to take out. I know our gas isn't the best but I only use 91 which is about as good as it gets around here.
I think you are right. I sent the 1st one to your email address. Here is a new one. Lots of changes here. It is from a map I did for a guy back in June. Did some investigating and comparing to the base 044SDF004 map. This one should pull much better in the low end and the timing map is reduced in the 70 to 100 Kpa. You do know if you accelerate at 3000 in higher gears any the timing map jumps to the 100 Kpa area. I have run lots of logs and looked at it in PV and the only time it will stay in the 70 to 80 kpa area is under light acceleration going up a hill or something. If you are still having pinging and low performance in low end I am not sure as what to do next. You may try a colder set of plugs as that can help a little. Could be carbon build up but I doubt it. I have seen the contact end of spark plugs with bad connection carbon up from arcing and causing issues. Just guessing. I put a date on this file so won't accidentally send it again. Sure hope it works for you.

Attached Files
Old 08-30-2014, 01:39 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. You do know if you accelerate at 3000 in higher gears any the timing map jumps to the 100 Kpa area. I have run lots of logs and looked at it in PV and the only time it will stay in the 70 to 80 kpa area is under light acceleration going up a hill or something.

I looked at your file and my map is still 15 degrees down from that, where it needs to be to prevent pings. The thing about the map jumping to 100 kpa, I don't think it does, my recordings never show anything over 85 kpa, probably because I'm over 5000 ft in elevation. The areas where it was pinging show rpm and kpa and timing in the expected cells. For instance, a ping on the rear 3000, 80, will show the timing dropped 2 degrees to 19 degrees and the cell at that location will show 21 degrees, so it seems to match the map. I guess my question is, should I try to eliminate all KR events or just eliminate the obvious audible ones that continue?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

hi,

have you checked spark plug gap?
thanks
mirrmu

Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

. You do know if you accelerate at 3000 in higher gears any the timing map jumps to the 100 Kpa area. I have run lots of logs and looked at it in PV and the only time it will stay in the 70 to 80 kpa area is under light acceleration going up a hill or something.

I looked at your file and my map is still 15 degrees down from that, where it needs to be to prevent pings. The thing about the map jumping to 100 kpa, I don't think it does, my recordings never show anything over 85 kpa, probably because I'm over 5000 ft in elevation. The areas where it was pinging show rpm and kpa and timing in the expected cells. For instance, a ping on the rear 3000, 80, will show the timing dropped 2 degrees to 19 degrees and the cell at that location will show 21 degrees, so it seems to match the map. I guess my question is, should I try to eliminate all KR events or just eliminate the obvious audible ones that continue?
We had the same problem with son in laws 12 limited this summer in Yellowstone. It wasn't running up to par as to the way it runs in Louisiana. I did a data log on it and it will only go to 80Kpa. We checked every thing including cleaning the filter and nothing seemed to help it. Didn't try to change the tune. He has TW555, 30 tooth pulley, PV, Power duals, Kompressor heads at 10.5. He could still out run my 14 Limited with PV and slipons so he was happy. the 14 didn't run much different at 7000 feet than it does at 90 feet. I sent an email to DynaJet and they told me it wasn't uncommon to only show 80% Kpa at altitude. When we got back home the 12 was back to normal. To me it is curious that yours and his are doing the same thing so I guess it is the altitude. He didn't have any pinging or data log pinging. I did up another map that moved VE and Timing to the left putting timing from 100 to the 80 column. Did same with VE. Looks little un orthodox, but who knows. That 2 degrees timing ping on the data log I bet was on the front cylinder. For some reason the front seems to be the one that pings first. Make sure the plug wires are plugged and snapped onto the plugs and to the coil. Any loose connection on the Ion sensing circuit will cause it to fake detect a ping. If not over 3 degrees and not an isolated condition or audible I generally don't try to fix it. You are absolutely correct it does take away what ever it detects. 2 ping degrees on a 21 degree cell will display 19.
Even with the altitude problem I would still take your altitude and low humdity to the mess we have here in summer. Been between 95 and 98 with very high humidity for the last few days. Not fit for anything outside.
A weak fuel pump or regulator could cause the same thing. Another thing I have done on things when nothing else works is to unplug the O2 sensors. Have found couple of problems doing this. Absolutely won't hurt anything. Will set code but doesn't turn on light. Got my curiosity peaked as to what this is. It is one thing trying to Internet diagnose a problem versus It being your own bike. I know it is heavy on your mind.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
We had the same problem with son in laws 12 limited this summer in Yellowstone. It wasn't running up to par as to the way it runs in Louisiana. I did a data log on it and it will only go to 80Kpa. We checked every thing including cleaning the filter and nothing seemed to help it. Didn't try to change the tune. He has TW555, 30 tooth pulley, PV, Power duals, Kompressor heads at 10.5. He could still out run my 14 Limited with PV and slipons so he was happy. the 14 didn't run much different at 7000 feet than it does at 90 feet. I sent an email to DynaJet and they told me it wasn't uncommon to only show 80% Kpa at altitude. When we got back home the 12 was back to normal. To me it is curious that yours and his are doing the same thing so I guess it is the altitude. He didn't have any pinging or data log pinging. I did up another map that moved VE and Timing to the left putting timing from 100 to the 80 column. Did same with VE. Looks little un orthodox, but who knows. That 2 degrees timing ping on the data log I bet was on the front cylinder. For some reason the front seems to be the one that pings first. Make sure the plug wires are plugged and snapped onto the plugs and to the coil. Any loose connection on the Ion sensing circuit will cause it to fake detect a ping. If not over 3 degrees and not an isolated condition or audible I generally don't try to fix it. You are absolutely correct it does take away what ever it detects. 2 ping degrees on a 21 degree cell will display 19.
Even with the altitude problem I would still take your altitude and low humdity to the mess we have here in summer. Been between 95 and 98 with very high humidity for the last few days. Not fit for anything outside.
A weak fuel pump or regulator could cause the same thing. Another thing I have done on things when nothing else works is to unplug the O2 sensors. Have found couple of problems doing this. Absolutely won't hurt anything. Will set code but doesn't turn on light. Got my curiosity peaked as to what this is. It is one thing trying to Internet diagnose a problem versus It being your own bike. I know it is heavy on your mind.
Mac
Sounds a lot like my issue in Yosemite. Very curious. It felt like it was one lunging for a couple hours with a weak wheezy idle.

Mark

Quick Reply: More thoughts on the Andrews 57