Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More thoughts on the Andrews 57

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More thoughts on the Andrews 57

I had my 57 for a few months now. My bike has always had a problem with pinging so I've had to drop timing in the areas where it pings a few cells and a couple of degrees at a time. During this time I've ridden with my son who has basically the same bike, same exhaust so I've had something to compare to. Our bikes have always been pretty close prior to the cams on mine. It seems that the 57 gives up quite a bit below 3500 rpms. The stock cam pulls a lot harder from 2000 to 3500. From 3500 to 6000 there is no contest the 57 pulls like a freight train, so going through the gears it's always in it's power band and will pull away from my son's bike as long as I keep it rolled on. I just wish I didn't have to give up so much on the lower end. Looking at Andrews site it description of 57 says Max torque: 2200 - 5600 RPM but that really doesn't seem to be the case. It makes me wonder if the + or - 4 degree crank gear would help put the power down lower.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

After you get it tuned it should run much better. Then worry about possibly a +4 or a bump in compression.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Strange, I've had no issues with pinging and start pulling around 2500. Most of the time while riding I shift at 3000. What tuner do you have?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

It's your tune if you are not getting the low end. Plain and simple. I am perfectly happy with the performance that kicks in at 2200-2300 and just keeps getting stronger.

Hope you are able to dial it in so you can realize that grinds full potential in a stock 103.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM
PauleyB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it is likely your tune. I've had the 57H in my 103 since the early spring and it's dialed in nicely after auto-tuning with the Power Vision. Jamie at Fuel Moto was very helpful with the finishing touches. I have power from around 2200 through 5500 and that is as high as I have run it.

I have the Fuel Moto stage one AC and Rinehart 2-1.

What tuner are you using? Maybe some here can help you out or at least provide a primer to get you running right.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Put the timing back in and add 2% fuel in that area till the pinging quits.

Mark

Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Get a proper tune! Don't do +4. Bump the compression if ya want more bottom after the tune.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:56 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
I had my 57 for a few months now. My bike has always had a problem with pinging so I've had to drop timing in the areas where it pings a few cells and a couple of degrees at a time. During this time I've ridden with my son who has basically the same bike, same exhaust so I've had something to compare to. Our bikes have always been pretty close prior to the cams on mine. It seems that the 57 gives up quite a bit below 3500 rpms. The stock cam pulls a lot harder from 2000 to 3500. From 3500 to 6000 there is no contest the 57 pulls like a freight train, so going through the gears it's always in it's power band and will pull away from my son's bike as long as I keep it rolled on. I just wish I didn't have to give up so much on the lower end. Looking at Andrews site it description of 57 says Max torque: 2200 - 5600 RPM but that really doesn't seem to be the case. It makes me wonder if the + or - 4 degree crank gear would help put the power down lower.
PM sent. It wouldn't hurt anything to do the +4, but don't think it will help much. Your map is off is what it sounds like.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I have the SE pro tuner. I've been down this road with the pinging before. As I said I've had to remove timing from the 3000 rpm areas 70 tp 90 KPA, which is where it pinged. As for adding fuel, I tried that, it didn't help, the only thing that would stop it was to retard the timing in those areas, I've tried several different maps but the result was always the same. Back when I just had the stage 1 during the times that I dropped timing there was zero negative effects on performance, my bike would stay even with my sons bike when we rolled it on at any rpm or gear, so I don't believe advancing it is going to help now.
The 57 is a good hot rod cam, I like the power it makes when going ***** to the wall, but compared to a stage 1 with AC & exhaust it does give up a lot on the stock cam below 3500 rpm. As for having it tuned, I would like to do that if I found someone competent. My son's bike was supposedly tuned at the dealer, they put in a canned map tweaked the AFR's added 5% to the VE's and called it good, everything else was the same as the canned stage 1 map. We just looked at his map again and I noticed that they had temp management, ACR and KR disabled. We turned all 3 back on and he said wow it starts a lot easier now, no surprise with ACR turned off. So much for that dealer.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Default my tune

Here's my tune in case anyone would like to look at it and comment.
Just change the .docx to .dt0

Attached Files

Quick Reply: More thoughts on the Andrews 57