Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control Won't Stop with Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Fat Chance
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control Won't Stop with Brakes

Anyone else have problems with a cruise control that often doesn't disengage with applying the brake. I can apply the front brake enough to cause the front to dive, somethimes several times in a row before the cruise turns off. This caused me once to have a close call with someones rear bumper. So I've taken it to two dealers both saying they can't reproduce the symtom. Then I called Harley, and even though I asked him if he realized MY life is at risk he also said they won't even change a switch if they can't verify the symtom.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

You can also roll the throttle forward to disengage the cruise as well. Have you tried that?

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

it has become common for owners to break the front brake switch when attempting to adjust the rt hand controls.

ensure that the switch is working correctly- move the lever and watch the brake light.

both for front brake and rear

as it could even be a relay problem

if that is working normally, then the problem is deeper- and you should not use the CC until you have it figured out.
it could be the TSM/TSSM which gets an input from the brake light.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fat Chance
Then I called Harley, and even though I asked him if he realized MY life is at risk.
"IF" you really believe your life is at risk I would recomend paying to have the switched repaced yourself.

Believe me.... I've been frustrated several times with vehicle/motorcycle mfg's not stepping up when I thought they should but I'm not going to "risk my life" to prove something.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Chance
he also said they won't even change a switch if they can't verify the symtom.
They will change anything you want, if you are willing to pay to have them do it. With something like this, that can be dangerous, I would suck it up and pay for replacement switch, perhaps even a module if the switch doesn't do it. Make your ride safe, then complain. Complaining doesn't do much good if you are dead.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your break light to see if it is coming on when you apply the brake, my guess is it is not.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Fat Chance my buddies '14 ultra limited is doing the same thing... so far no resolution.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

While I understand the OP's frustration, I would offer the following observation...

Of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, at least 5 different ways to disengage the cruise control while underway, using the front brake to do so (other than in a quick-stop situation) is not ideal.

I have cruise on two different bikes, and the roll-forward option on the Harley is the nicest option for cruise disengagement I know of.

All the best,

Shane

(Edited to add, I think there are actually 6 ways to shut off the cruise while underway: Front brake, Rear brake, Clutch in, Throttle forward roll, Cruise power button, Accelerate 10mph or more with cruise engaged.)

Last edited by Shanebo; 09-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Travis Davis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not just you just got my 14 SG back from dealer on Friday for the same problem it is the switch housing. they replaced it at no cost and all works just fine now must be a known problem I called them and started to tell them what was happening and they told me the part to fix was on backorder and they would call when it came in and I never even finished my sentence all I told them was my cruise stopped working

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

some of you guys have it backwards. if the front brake lever switch is broken, then the light will stay on and that will also prevent the CC from being turned on at all. easily determined by looking at the brake light while the bike is on. if it's on, then you have a broken switch.

Now if the switch is faulty and your brake light is not coming on when you squeeze, that's a different story. Your switch could also simply be out of alignment or the levers you're using are not contacting the switch where it should and requiring you to pull harder to engage the brake and disengage the CC.

Quick Reply: Cruise control Won't Stop with Brakes