Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Would Harley . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Who would want a Electra Glide with no tunes? Seen a couple in my days but for me a scoot with no tunes is useless. By the time you add just a few of the luxuries you have the price a real Electra Glide.
In my case if I were to add just the 6.5 to replace my 4.3 I would have almost the price of the limited. Stupid to do such a thing so I'm pretty sure the standard was a poor seller so discontinued.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why keep the EG Standard and Classic when they can funnel those sales into the SG and Ultra. That's two less models they have to stock the showrooms with. They also have to make room for new models.

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 08-28-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me like same-bike-new-name. The EG standard is the SG now with a few tweaks to make it not so similar. The EG ultra classic nips now just the limited.

Of course, I'm the guy who looked at the newly published 2015 models and couldn't really find much difference from the 2014. That's probably why I ride an '03. I'm grateful that there are people who notice though, that ensures that there will still be a company to produce bikes when I'm ready to buy a new one. Plus, the regular traders make it certain that I can still get a decent 2013 used bike in 2023.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:28 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hell Fire Hog
Nope sorry your all wrong on this one.

HD wants to use the "Electra Glide" name on their production model of Project Livewire.
I doubt that premise..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigTKC
Interesting take...I like it.

Contrary to popular belief, they are a successful company and have a lot of smart folks in their marketing, research and product development divisions...they are driving the market and tailoring their products to market demand while maximizing revenue...it's what any for-profit company does. If they make decisions that customers don't like, they'll find out in a hurry and adjust.

As long as they're flying off the showroom floors and we're buying, who cares?

Now my EGC is worth a boatload of money since it will become rare, right?
HD exists today only because of the Reagan tariff..they were mismanaged for decades..you give them far too much credit. It was Porsche that gave them the vrod by owning 15% of the company. Now look at the origin of their parts...many foreign manufacture. Nice way to thank the nation that saved them.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Screw that; why would the MoCo discontinue righteous sleds like the NightTrain for the turkeys they replaced it with?

Smokin' crack in Milwaukee!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

but for me a scoot with no tunes is useless.

Who needs tunes when you have PIPES!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by RKZen
The MoCo does not even offer the EG Ultra Classic in many countries, but rather only the EG UL. Australia and New Zealand as an example.
Harley plays the markets according to local demand. Here in the UK we still get the XL883R and had the XR1200 long before it got to the US market, but don't get the new 500/750 twins yet. There are other differences, for example our Ultra Classic is twin-cooled, whereas yours isn't. We don't get the full model range available to the home market, which for 2015 is 35 models, whereas we 'only' get 31 models (things are improving over here!).

Old 08-30-2014, 01:21 AM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
but for me a scoot with no tunes is useless.

Who needs tunes when you have PIPES!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoknew72
Seems to me like same-bike-new-name. The EG standard is the SG now with a few tweaks to make it not so similar. The EG ultra classic nips now just the limited.

Of course, I'm the guy who looked at the newly published 2015 models and couldn't really find much difference from the 2014. That's probably why I ride an '03. I'm grateful that there are people who notice though, that ensures that there will still be a company to produce bikes when I'm ready to buy a new one. Plus, the regular traders make it certain that I can still get a decent 2013 used bike in 2023.

But they weren't the same at all. The Standard was a bare bones entry level Touring bike that you could add to as you went along. No black motor - no chrome.
The Street Glide is a stripped down version of an EGC - black motor, chrome, and tunes.
The EGS and EGC weren't converted to anything. They were simply discontinued.
What a shame. I will never own an Ultra or Limited - too much crapola that I'll never use.
I see a parallel with the resurgence of the pony cars. They all come pretty much loaded to the gills and priced accordingly. Back when most of those models were introduced you could buy a basic muscle car with a radio and nearly every kid on the block had one.
Not now, though. You need a pretty comfy income to afford a pony car that only comes fully loaded. Same goes for a Harley Touring.

Quick Reply: Why Would Harley . . .