Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Would Harley . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I guess I'm the odd one?? I got a cheap used '09 standard for the "new" frame knowing full well no matter what bike I got I'd change about everything. It is now the bike I want, not the bike Harley wants to sell me. But Harley does great marketing selling "look a likes"...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 08-31-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

A lot of the current E-Glide infotainment system gadgets used to only be available from non-Harley aftermarket sources.HD made zero money on those items so they started selling HD branded versions (like the intro of the Boom sound equipment) then over time for the Touring lineup they essentially made all the gadgetry mandatory similiar to what's happening in the automotive industry and with mobile phones.

Back when the Standard's were still around,I considered buying one...I figured if I really wanted tunes on it,I'd do it my way: An MP3 player,high capacity speakers,killer amp with a simple on/off toggle switch and a volume dial would suffice and blow any of the Harley stuff clean out of the water...

Old 08-30-2014, 05:37 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Its Harley. They've spent decades offering variations of basic themes and calling it new. Paint the motor black, add saddlebags, bob the fender, add a stereo, remove a tourpack. Etc. With a little time n money, you can convert almost any Harley into 2 or 3 other models. How often do we see people switching road kings intov street glides, or street glides into road glides?

I'm waiting for them to overhaul the softtail line up, right now the only one I dig is the breakout

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 AM
RickDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tastes and my budget have really changed over the past 45 years. I am now on my 10th motorcycle and my 3rd Harley. I believe my current 2014 Ultra Limited represents a more economical choice for anyone that may think they would add custom options to a standard model.

I bought a standard model 10 years ago because I wanted to invest lots of time and $$$ into making it unique. Even in todays dollars I spent far more on that standard model than I spent on my 2014 Limited. I was really proud of that 05 Standard model and enjoyed the total experience of motorcycle ownership more on it than anything I owned before, or since.........the first 4 photos are the same motorcycle compared to my current ride.

Attached Thumbnails Why Would Harley . . .-img_1612.1.jpg   Why Would Harley . . .-eglide2.1.jpg   Why Would Harley . . .-img_1726.1.jpg   Why Would Harley . . .-left-front-side.jpg   Why Would Harley . . .-p1100760-copy.jpg  

Last edited by RickDM; 08-31-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the radio out of my 2012 EGC because we wanted to hear the wind not a radio. Put in a glove box from a RG. Sold the radio and speakers because it will never be put back in. Not everyone wants a radio or CB. I'm keeping mine til its a real classic then it will sell well or......I may never sell it. As others have stated its done to steer you to a higher priced entry level tourer/bagger or they just weren't selling that many because for some extra G's you can get the fancy one.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark5
Took the radio out of my 2012 EGC because we wanted to hear the wind not a radio. Put in a glove box from a RG. Sold the radio and speakers because it will never be put back in. Not everyone wants a radio or CB. I'm keeping mine til its a real classic then it will sell well or......I may never sell it. As others have stated its done to steer you to a higher priced entry level tourer/bagger or they just weren't selling that many because for some extra G's you can get the fancy one.
You put a glove box in from a Road Glide?

Love to see a pic of that.

When it's a classic, nobody will want it because you shitcanned the radio. Keep it, and love it as your own!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You put a glove box in from a Road Glide?

Love to see a pic of that.

When it's a classic, nobody will want it because you shitcanned the radio. Keep it, and love it as your own!

Glove box fit perfectly, looks fine. I may take a pic and I may not-don't need to validate. Not everyone wants the radio and got good comments from others that did the same. "Shitcanned" radio w/speakers netted $489 on Ebay plus shipping so it wasn't a bad idea to sell an unused item for some extra money. People we ride with use their radios about half the time and they complain that they get tired of it so....LOL! Its about what I like just like color or cams or exhaust or.......well you see.

I think IF I sell it nobody will buy it just fine with the same appreciation for no radio as myself.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark5
Glove box fit perfectly, looks fine. .
I say you're full of it.
Road Glide glove boxes will not fit where a stereo was.
Not without duct tape or bailing wire....

Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I say you're full of it.
Road Glide glove boxes will not fit where a stereo was.
Not without duct tape or bailing wire....

Fits perfectly. The dealer said it would and he was correct. It mounted with the same four bolts that held the radio in place. No wire or mismatch mounting. I will be full of a rack of ribs when I go up to the Labor Day Celebration in a bit. No need to be whatever you are feeling the need to be. Always time for good manners son.

Here is a pic just because I can and you can have some peace of mind today. Hope I did it right. If not give me your email and I will gladly send it your way.

Why Would Harley . . .-photo1.jpg

Sideways but you can just tilt your head. Seeing as how it is already crooked should be and easy doer for you.....LOL!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dickey nailed it - the pipes ARE the tunes. I got the 14 UC but rarely is it not muted on the road, never had a real desire for a radio on a bike but I do like using it while working on it in the garage. You can still get an EG standard - today its known as the FLHTP EG police. No tour pak, 3 light rear arrangement, GLOVE BOX in place of infotainment wizbangery, plain Jane fender badge, no tank badge..............geez, I shoulda bought that, I'm starting to describe the mods on my UC.

Quick Reply: Why Would Harley . . .