Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 ultra classic $

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1998 ultra classic $

I ran across this guy that has a (new) 1998 ultra classic. He has put less than
300 miles on per year since he just putts around town on it so it's just under
5k on it now. I looked it over and didn't see anything wrong with it and I'm
thinking about picking it up since hes up there in age and his wife bought him
a sports car.
I was curious on opions on what some here would think might be fair for it?

http://s294.photobucket.com/user/win...tml?sort=3&o=0

Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

kbb.com has pricing.

low mileage, it still may need lots of rubber bushings replaced to be a daily driver.

the M&M fuel injection can be a mess

the single caliper brakes are marginal for a bike of that size.

tires?

I'd say 6500

mike

Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Being that it's not an 95th Anniversary model, not that if would matter much, I personally would not offer more than 4 to 4500.... But to tell the truth I think you are looking for trouble. I bought a low millage bike once and put a ton of money into it because of lack of use and improper storage.

Be Safe JIM

Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Photos don't tell us much, except it's an Evo. We have an Evo forum where you may get other opinions. Cute kitten......

Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
kbb.com has pricing.

low mileage, it still may need lots of rubber bushings replaced to be a daily driver.

the M&M fuel injection can be a mess

the single caliper brakes are marginal for a bike of that size.

tires?

I'd say 6500

mike

Agree. I wouldn't pay over $6k for this bike. Just because it's got lower than average mileage doesn't increase the value much. For a couple grand more you can get a more desirable twin cam model. If you want a really nice bike for a cheap price then look for a 2002 model. The 2002 model has the newer Delphi injection and many other upgrades over the 98. You should be able to find a very nice 2002 model in the $8-10k range.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it on the cheap...Evo was durable but weak....if you have the coin and get it at 5k or under, I would slap a FI S&S 124 in it...got yourself a bomb for 1/2 price. Good looking ride...

Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info, he still rides it but very little since its just around town
and think he said maybe 30-40 per month. Starts right up and see no leaks.
Tires looked new with no cracking in the rubber, I believe they have been
replaced but will look into it.

Will check out the evo forums.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

From the looks of the Mercedes and what I think to be a C1 corvette in the garage the guy probably doesn't even need the money. Just low ball it and see what he says.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
From the looks of the Mercedes and what I think to be a C1 corvette in the garage the guy probably doesn't even need the money. Just low ball it and see what he says.

I know guys like this. You see how clean that place was? He takes care of his toys. I'm bettin' the bike is cherry. A classic garage queen, but well maintained. I'd offer him 4K and go from there. Hell I don't even need the bike but I would pay that for it and come and get it.

LiiT

Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

The storage conditions look optimal.
The bike looks super clean.
The miles are super low.
I f you like it and it is the right price then buy it.
The bike should prove reliable as long as you buy the real harley service manual.
Reason: Bike has the Italian M & M fuel injection system which Harley stopped using about 12 years ago so very few techs. know much about it.
Link for M & M they are huge:http://www.magnetimarelli.com/
I have a bike with M & M and i have done everything myself with simple hand tools.
The plus side is that the M & M fuel injection is very simple to work on as long as you read the one chapter (chapter 9 ?) in the service book.
Many problems reported by folks with M & M fuel injection can be traced to the failure to diagnose the loose crank sensor connector located under seat, right side(throttle side), behind plastic side cover...or dirty little breather holes in throttle body..or old leaking external fuel lines at the swivel just under the tank...or gas tank liner pealing at center of tank and clogging fuel inlet (about size of a quarter)...or the person that decides to pressure wash their bike as a weekly routine and gets corrosion at the ECM connector...or a combination of the above..The dealer most times will be of little to no help since the tech will not check the above mentioned items...The crank sensor connector is a HUGE one that techs rarely check and instead change some other part.
The fuel lines are available from Goodridge for about $150 total for the pair HDFL005...The cam sensor under your right foot timer cover area will melt beige goo eventually (visible at wire exit on bottom) if it is still original and make starting difficult (lots of crank and no start) and is about $190 dollar part....The rocker cover and primary cover gasket should have been changed by now due to age or will require change soon...Tires must be changed if over 7 years old for safety...Seems like $1000 would make that bike brand new..Getting the bike for under $7000 and putting $1000 into it would make for an excellent value touring bike in my opinion...If you are someone that keeps their stuff then you could probably ride it for 30K miles or 5 years and it would cost you no more than tires, fluids & filters if you decided to sell. Just about any clean title big twin Harley that rides straight and has some visible appeal has a rock bottom of $5,000...best of luck and lets us know.
That was the last year of the EVO motor for a touring bike and there are many folks that prefer the simplicity and durability of the EVO motor...

Last edited by im; 08-29-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 ultra classic $