Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission Canister Removal / CA Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emission Canister Removal / CA Bikes

Anybody remove the Emission Charcoal Canister from their 2014 CA bike? If so does anybody have instructions on what to do with the lines and hoses after you remove it?

Also.... Any Cons to doing this?

I have a 14 SGS

Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Anybody remove the Emission Charcoal Canister from their 2014 CA bike? If so does anybody have instructions on what to do with the lines and hoses after you remove it?

Also.... Any Cons to doing this?

I have a 14 SGS

I looked into taking mine off, but I couldn't find any advantages to removing it.

The only con to the canister that I know of, is the additional cost when you purchase a CA bike..

Since I already paid for it in the cost of the bike, and can't find a reason to remove it, I decided to leave it be...

Do you know of some benefit of removing it?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My garage smells like gasoline after I shut off my bike and the mechanic at my local Harley dealer says its because of the charcoal canister. He says the bike purges vapors into the canister which if that happens before you shut the bike off does not get burned off.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems to me there's excess pressure in the tank when it's hot due to expansion of the gas, and that pressure needs to go somewhere. (I suppose it dissipates when the tank cools again…but in the meantime the gas tank is pressurized). There's a vent to allow the pressure to equalize with the ambient air pressure. Whether there's a charcoal canister in the vent-line, or the line vents directly into the air, the air coming out of the gas tank is going to smell like gas. I'd bet the charcoal in the filter actually mitigates the gas-smell somewhat...

The only way to eliminate that 'gassy' smelling air would be to close the pressure-relief vent. This would cause the tank to stay pressurized a lot longer than it would if the pressure were vented. It might cause an issue if the gas-cap is removed when the tank inner-pressure is high. (I had a Buell 1125R spray me and another guy at the dealer with gas one time, when I removed the cap when the engine was hot. There was an issue with the vent, the line was crimped, or something…)

I could have this all wrong. But if this is the case, removing the canister is not going to buy you much except a very insignificant weight reduction.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-29-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=jasnusc;13156750]My garage smells like gasoline after I shut off my bike and the mechanic at my local Harley dealer says its because of the charcoal canister. He says the bike purges vapors into the canister which if that happens before you shut the bike off does not get burned off.

Even if you don't have a charcoal canister, the bikes still stink up the garage with gas fumes. Very common complaint on most any forum. I think it is unburnt gas in the intake manifold, so try and not "clean out your pipes" when you pull into the garage. For the new guys, that means don't rev the bike up just before you shut if off because that will invariably make it even worse.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I would zip tie the hoses to the frame. That is it.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
My garage smells like gasoline after I shut off my bike and the mechanic at my local Harley dealer says its because of the charcoal canister. He says the bike purges vapors into the canister which if that happens before you shut the bike off does not get burned off.

That should be covered under a federally mandated 5 year 50,000 mile emission warranty. If you're smelling gas it is putting hydrocarbons in to the air instead of storing them to be burned in the engine when you start up. You could have a stuck open purge valve or some other problem. I've never had a problem like that and I've never heard anyone else complain about it. Your owners manual has the emission warranty info.

Last edited by dribble; 08-29-2014 at 06:56 PM.