Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Tour vs. Super Tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Mustang Tour vs. Super Tour

OK, so in my never ending quest to find the perfect seat I've decided to finally bit the cost bullet and get a Mustang seat. So after spending some time researching their web site I have some questions between their touring and super touring model.

From what I can see in the description there are two basic differences. The first is that the Touring model is 2" narrower at 17" wide compared to the Super Touring that is 19" wide. The second difference is that the Touring model will work with HD's standard backrest while the Super Tour only accepts their own backrest.

There is actually a third difference and that is price. The Touring is cheaper then the Super Touring.

Anyone have experience with one or both of these? If so, what's your thoughts on it/them? I'm leaning towards the 17" Touring so I can use my HD backrest, but I would be easily swayed.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't found my perfect seat yet either, but I read somewhere the wider the better. I have a mustang wide solo and their backrests are pretty comfy.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I have both ............. the Super Touring for 2 up with rider backrest. It is more comfortable by a little. I have the Vintage Super Solo that is essentially the Touring seat 1-up and it's on the bike all the time. It's very comfortable and the difference's are minimal.

BTW those advertised width's are bit on the short side .... my Super is damn near 21" and my VS is almost 19".

Last edited by Beaux; 08-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

The super touring sets the rider a little farther back

Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not so sure wider is better. I know from my past days of bicycle long distance racing, the seat was made to be just a bit wider than the pelvic bones you actually sit on. Wider seats cause more heat build up, less ability to shift weight and more pressure points.

Truefully from all the articles I have read...I read
1) The width of your bum doesn't mean you should have a wider seat, because the areas that affect comfort when sitting is the pelvic bones which most of your weight will rest on, the bigger the bottom doesn't mean the more padding you are sitting on, think about it when in the sitting position and the curve that pulls your buttocs to the scoop shape there isn't much more meat between the pelvic bone.

2) The Tailbone, not having a clearance for the tailbone and all those nerves will cause an excruciating pain that comes on fast and goes away slow. Having a valley where the tail bone would have weight on it will help relieve this pain.

3) Pressure on the nerves that is between your legs, that runs under your groin area from behind the ******* to the anus. Pressure here will cause numbness, and paint to be felt in all different places in the lower region. Cutting of blood flow in this area can have long term problems.

Now the question comes up, how wide is your pelvic bones? Average man is about 100mm to 140mm (reference: http://rivetcycleworks.com/which-sad...-right-for-me/)
That is about 3.93 inches to 5.51181 inches.

Thus a 17" wide seat will also allow your legs to not spread wider than normal while riding, or stopping thus the need to straddle a wider seat which can actually increase hip pain and cause our sitting position to be twisted and/or offset thus cause a twist in the spine unequal pressure on the pelvic bones. Ever had the problem where one side of your bottom starts to hurt before the other, or lower spine soreness? That is caused by a slight unequal sitting pressure.

More padding isn't better, the pillow top seats may feel comfortable at first but after a while of sitting the added padding actually can cut off blood flow to your lower legs as the padding pushes up on the underside of your thighs, thus cause leg cramps, tingling in the legs and sore knees.

Sitting too low can cause your thighs to in an incline from the knee to your hips and thus cause your bottom to be too low and curves your pelvic inward, and more weight on your tail bone and then more knee pain and eventually damage.

Since we are all different trying to find the right combination can be difficult.

When Looking for a seat things I was told to take into consideration. First have someone take a picture of you sitting on your bike from the sides wearing as little as possible or naked, (think bicycle shorts, boxer briefs) and to look for areas that are not in alignment. Then go from there.

Is the seat firm but padded (police seats are said to be very comfortable, but have very little padding, and are not very wide there is a reason)

Are your legs too long in the thigh (need to move back or forward)

Are your calves too long that causes the slop from your knee to your hip to be downward rather than parallel or slightly upward?

Is there clearance for your tailbone?

Is the seat too wide that you are hyperextending your hips to straddle the seat?

Is there room for the perineum (the area between the ******* and anus) to not have too much pressure?

Just some guess, I am not a MD, but I read a lot when I was bicycle racing.

Here is a picture for reference for sitting correctly, since everyone likes pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Tour vs. Super Tour-how-to-sit.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

I think the two seats you are considering are the Wide Touring & the Super Touring. The main consideration would be how tall you are. The Wide Touring sits pretty much like the stock seat as far as how far you are from the controls. The super touring sits you back 1 3/4". I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam and having tried both I went with the Super Touring. Hope this helps.

Last edited by $tonecold; 09-01-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the heated touring (not the two inch wider one) which says it will work with the HD adjustable back rest; it does work but a very poor fit. The seat is very comfy so I took the HD backrest off and ordered Mustangs.

The HD backrest I had is the one which has the adjustable lever you mount under the frame. When I attempted to use the backrest with the Mustang seat it did work but it looked like it was ripping the seat apart at the hole where the backrest comes thru the seat.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
I am not so sure wider is better.
You're right. It's not width. The best thing as far as riding goes is the McClellan saddle (damn Yankee). It has a huge hole cut in the taint area, but the rest is firm. Someone needs to replicate this on a bike.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I think the two seats you are considering are the Wide Touring & the Super Touring. The main consideration would be how tall you are. The Wide Touring sits pretty much like the stock seat as far as how far you are from the controls. The wide touring sits you back 1 3/4". I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam and having tried both I went with the Super Touring. Hope this helps.
Could you clarify, which one moves you back and which one keeps you near the same location?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
Could you clarify, which one moves you back and which one keeps you near the same location?
The Super Tour moved you back while the Wide Tour leaves you in the same location. The wide tour does allow you though to use a standard HD backrest and mount, while the super tour only lets you use their backrest as it mounts in the seat itself.

Quick Reply: Mustang Tour vs. Super Tour