Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still need more ideas on my cruise control short

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Still need more ideas on my cruise control short

So I have posted a few threads about my cruise control short and so far no luck finding it. Most had suggested that the problem was probably in the switch housing or a pinched wire somewhere down the wiring that runs down outside the bars. I have never opened up that housing and never switched out the bars. Convinced that wasn't my problem I swapped out the whole right side control from a friends bike knowing that his cruise feature had no issues(unplugged his connector from his bike and plugged it into mine and still the same problem). Another member suggested checking inside the fairing near the the fairing bracket as some time the insulation on the wire rubs through on the metal bracket as the wires from that connector are exposed. So I removed the inner fairing this past Monday to have it painted and I have taken a good luck at all the wiring inside there and everything looks real good. No worn spots on the wire insulation and no obvious pinched wire. I have looked over and over again the last few days and each time I see nothing out of the ordinary. The cruise will actually set when I push the button to the set side but it blows the ignition fuse every time I move the switch to the resume/accelerate side. Where else should I be looking to find the problem? I am no electrical expert and sure could use some more of your opinions.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM
ToppDogg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are blowing the breaker because of a short, tedious as it sounds, you'll need to trace the wire until you locate the short, most likely a bare wire grounding to frame.