Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Channel, is there a "Best" channel for strong reception?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Just went through this with a buddy. We both have '14 Limited's. Stock CB antenna for this yr/model is almost totally useless. It is resonant at 25.5 Mhz, but even then, the best SWR is 3:1. We were able to move the resonant frequency up to the 27 Mhz area through careful trimming of the stock antenna (it's a fiberglass mast), but never got the SWR below about 3.1:1 in the CB band. We both ended up buying the stubby CB antenna mast from HD and found the SWR was under 1.5:1 using that antenna. The CB power output with the trimmed for best match stock antenna was measured at roughly 2.4 watts. With the stubby antenna, the power output was just under 4 watts. Bike to bike range increased from about 300 yards to nearly 1.5 miles.

I talked with a Project Rushmore electrical design engineer at the HD display at Black Hills Harley during Sturgis Bike Week. He admitted that the antenna system was simply thrown together using existing parts bin stuff. CB performance was never even looked at. They also moved the Motorola inline connector from inside the tourpak (where it was protected from moisture) to outside the tourpak, behind the seat where it is exposed to water intrusion/corrosion with no thought given to any type of waterproofing (same for the amphenol inline connector used for the AM/FM/WB antenna). Really pi$$ poor engineering practice & if I had been that engineer, I would be absolutely ashamed of that kind of engineering design.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

choose a band in the middle -- 21 and tune your CB to the antennae using a SWR meter -- for a bike, that should be your best reception/transmission

Bikes have a limited range because they have a small ground plane

Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

SWR tuning tip:

Check channel 1 & channel 40. If lowest SWR reading is on channel 40, you're done. If lowest SWR is on channel 1, you can improve it by trimming (shortening) the antenna. Go slow (trim as little off the antenna as possible) & keep checking both channels 1 & 40. When the SWR is the same on both channels, you should be tuned mid-band (best match should be channels 20-24).

Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

And don't try to check your SWR while in the garage, get outside, away from buildings.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
And don't try to check your SWR while in the garage, get outside, away from buildings.
Good point!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Just went through this with a buddy. We both have '14 Limited's. Stock CB antenna for this yr/model is almost totally useless. It is resonant at 25.5 Mhz, but even then, the best SWR is 3:1. We were able to move the resonant frequency up to the 27 Mhz area through careful trimming of the stock antenna (it's a fiberglass mast), but never got the SWR below about 3.1:1 in the CB band. We both ended up buying the stubby CB antenna mast from HD and found the SWR was under 1.5:1 using that antenna. The CB power output with the trimmed for best match stock antenna was measured at roughly 2.4 watts. With the stubby antenna, the power output was just under 4 watts. Bike to bike range increased from about 300 yards to nearly 1.5 miles.

I talked with a Project Rushmore electrical design engineer at the HD display at Black Hills Harley during Sturgis Bike Week. He admitted that the antenna system was simply thrown together using existing parts bin stuff. CB performance was never even looked at. They also moved the Motorola inline connector from inside the tourpak (where it was protected from moisture) to outside the tourpak, behind the seat where it is exposed to water intrusion/corrosion with no thought given to any type of waterproofing (same for the amphenol inline connector used for the AM/FM/WB antenna). Really pi$$ poor engineering practice & if I had been that engineer, I would be absolutely ashamed of that kind of engineering design.

Just to be clear, you got better range with the Stubby antenna than the longer stock antenna?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Talldog
Just to be clear, you got better range with the Stubby antenna than the longer stock antenna?
Yes! I know it goes against all normal reasoning, but the stock antenna's performance is so bad, the stubby really does outperform it.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Yes! I know it goes against all normal reasoning, but the stock antenna's performance is so bad, the stubby really does outperform it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to remember is that as your frequency goes up the antenna gets smaller. That's why the UHF antenna can be about 6". If you want to use channel 1 you will probably need to lengthen the antenna. Trim then go up to channel 40.

I second the use of the bubble pack radios in the FRS for ranges in the open up to 1.5 miles. The problem is the headset and connectors.

Stick with the built in CB and just find a better antenna. I can't believe the company would let it out of the factory with and SWR of 3:1. That's reflecting all the RF energy right back into the radio as heat which will burn up the finals in a radio real quick.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I put the j&m cb modification harness for 14's and did help with range, but not cheap @msrp of $120. Looked at swr meters and could not find a plug and play unit and wasn't sure what i was doing anyway. I usually sweep on HOG rides and have a bike with cb at front of ride and a middleman on big rides to relay communication to front. Mike

Quick Reply: CB Channel, is there a "Best" channel for strong reception?