Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Channel, is there a "Best" channel for strong reception?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Really. Didn't realize that bump I see spiraling up isn't a wire under that covering. Yup, I probably have a different antenna. It isn't the factory whip but it came with the used bike. So I guess when I've trimmed it down to 6 inches and the SWR meter still reads the same, it's pretty much a bet I should have left it alone. Which it what I've done. But just how many others are out there snipping away?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. Tiki
oh i have gone through this with my street glide. I am a road captain in my hog group and we use radios a lot. I won't even get into the challenges of putting a radio on a street glide but it was done.

To answer your question. In general.... There is no channel that is better than another. It is entirely different for everyone. After much discussion and research we have found that even the cb modules themselves vary greatly in quality. Sure, they all have the same model # stamped on them, but are some are just stronger than others.

Antennas! Yes, the harley antenna can be tuned, it is done buy removing the cap on the end of the antenna and cutting it down very gradually (by someone that knows what they are doing) until the optimum results are achieved.

Thinking of buying a swr meter? Ok. But do your research before you start nipping your antenna down, once it's cut, it can't be un-done. For proper swr readings you need to be away from everything as every building, power line and even where you are standing has a result on the swr meter. If you are planning on tuning your radio in the garage... You are just going to botch it up.

What worked for me was antenna experimentaion. I originally had the mid-length harley fiber glass antennas that... Well they sucked. I even had them professionally tuned and they still sucked. Now again, there are many variables in play. I ride with someone who has the very exact antenna and works wonderfully well for them. Just for me, it did not.

I then went to j&m antennas, better but still had room for improvement.

I think there may have been a few more antennas that i tried, but what worked for me... Again me.... Was the older style whip antenna that harley made... The one that everyone bitches about hitting them in the eye or getting stuck in the crevices of the garage door as it opens or closes... Yup, thats the one that has worked the best for me.
good post!

Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Really. Didn't realize that bump I see spiraling up isn't a wire under that covering. Yup, I probably have a different antenna. It isn't the factory whip but it came with the used bike. So I guess when I've trimmed it down to 6 inches and the SWR meter still reads the same, it's pretty much a bet I should have left it alone. Which it what I've done. But just how many others are out there snipping away?
Listen, my response was a specific reply to a specific question & wasn't posted as general directions for everyone to follow blindly. I specifically indicated 2014 model fiberglass mast antenna. If you're stupid enough to try everything posted on HDF, then you're gonna spend a lot of money fixing $hit you broke cuz you did something stupid. I'm trying to offer good advice from personal experience. Just what the heck are you offering? Bull$hit? It's not needed.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Settle down bucko. I'm pointing out to others that you simply can't grab an antenna and start sniping. In your case maybe so but others read and don't catch the "14" only. Do you want to help? Then help. People read this and say look, I can improve things if I snip a little at a time. Not realizing not every antenna is built the same. Now go pout somewhere else.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

someone posted: "Many riders won't use channel 19 because that is ( or at least was ) used by truck drivers, and anywhere near an Interstate or busy truck route would flood the radio with BS they don't want to hear. and the asswipes that illegally run linears ( amplifiers that boost the power ) often hang around channel 19 to show off their power, and often bleed into the surrounding channels. So going down to channel 3 or 5 would put the riders far enough ( hopefully ) from those people that they would not be distracted and the radio would actually be usable."

But if the middle channels are the most 'in tune', and 19 is full of BS....then 18 or 20 would be next logical. I have ridden from Florida to Tennessee last year, and I can tell you that channel 19 was pretty much dead, and I rode the interstates. Most talk I heard was when I was on a county road in Geogia following a WIDE load...they had a lead truck, a truck carrying a mobile home and a chase truck. I was just lolly gagging behind them listening to their lives.
NASCAR teams, fishing in the area...brother-in-laws and stuff. Finally, I made a move to pass and I hear on the CB...
"Watch out....crotch rocket coming by." So I reply, "I ain't no crotch rocket." and passed them doing about 2 MPH faster than they were so they could get a look. Got a couple "Woo-hoos" from them.
Channel 19 ain't so scary. One tip though...if you are with a few people with CBs, and you want to change channels because of BS...let the people know before hand a code I use. If I say 'drop down two channels.' I actually mean go UP two channels. That will sometimes keep STALKERS from a channel you want to be on.
See you on the flip flop.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Settle down bucko. I'm pointing out to others that you simply can't grab an antenna and start sniping. In your case maybe so but others read and don't catch the "14" only. Do you want to help? Then help. People read this and say look, I can improve things if I snip a little at a time. Not realizing not every antenna is built the same. Now go pout somewhere else.
I'm not your Bucko, cowboy.

If that was your intent, maybe you should have just said that instead of suggesting my advice was going to cause everyone problems. Want to be a wise guy, expect responses like mine. Now go sit on your saddlehorn!

Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Some good info here.
Originally Posted by HDSAE60
If you could get the SWR as low as possible on the channel you want to use. Then leave the meter in the circuit it would work better, when you remove the meter the true SWR Changes. If anything changes it will effect the SWR. Even the bow the wind puts on the rod will effect it, that is why you see trucks with the antennas bent in to the wind.
Thought that was common knowledge, but everyone seems to be ignoring it.

Originally Posted by vaham
There is nothing typical about RF propagation. Just because SafetyMan is convinced his radio works best there has no bearing on your radio.

If the SWR is the same on every channel, and your radio has the same output all around the band, the only difference would be in band noise and number of radiators (signal emitters) that already exist on your chosen channel.. basically.

If your bike emits a birdie on one channel, but not on another, steer away from the birdie....

other than that, its all a crap shoot.. best performance is achieved when your antenna is resonant at your chosen frequency of operation.
Another key point.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not all antennaes are the same -- a lot have the wire inside the mast and you just snip it off about 1/8 to 1/4 inch at a time -- remember you can't put it back on -- some have a tuning screw

I have made very good sending antennas using a 100 watt light bulb and coat hanger on 1500 meter band -- your just fooling the transmitter into thinking the right length antennae is there --

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OwnerOfHarriet
not all antennaes are the same -- a lot have the wire inside the mast and you just snip it off about 1/8 to 1/4 inch at a time -- remember you can't put it back on -- some have a tuning screw

I have made very good sending antennas using a 100 watt light bulb and coat hanger on 1500 meter band -- your just fooling the transmitter into thinking the right length antennae is there --
1500 meters? On a coat hanger? I'd love to learn your secrets. In my ham shack I have an antenna tuner but I still have to be close to resonant length. I can't get my approximately 100' G5RV to work on 160m but I can with 80/75.

Antennas are a cool science, fun to play with.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i replaced my original unit I checked the swr's and found that the best output was channels 1-8. after that, the SWR increased which would reduce output.

Quick Reply: CB Channel, is there a "Best" channel for strong reception?