Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 fltcu what fairing will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done Tom. Here is a more complete one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Tour-...88703843&rt=nc

Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
guitarturd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to thank everyone for there research and interest. I will try to post some pics. If you have any other ideas of what i should try to do to the bike please send them my way. I happen to be a motorcycle tech in training and do work at a shop which as you said will save me some money. The links posted are definitely more then helpfull. If any one has a questions I might be able to help with the training that have received so far. Please feel free to message me. Thanks

Old 08-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a helluva good deal even for the parts alone and a good foundation to build on.

That era of H-D engine is consider to be a good one.

Yes, show us some pictures of what you got.

I like the signature I read on someone's post recently, "Harley-Davidson ... turning ordinary riders into master mechanics for 100 years". It sounds like you have a project that will benefit your study.

I bought a similar aged FLH recently ... check all the brake lines for corrosion. Mine were nothing but rust held together by tape. And check the formed frame brackets where the swing arm mounts onto for corrosion as water gets into them and cannot get out. Ditto, swing arm for cracks.

And then start saving for upgrades ...

Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
And check the formed frame brackets where the swing arm mounts onto for corrosion as water gets into them and cannot get out.

And will freeze and bust

Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pictures of what you have will help us guide you. The 2 links Tom sent are pretty good deals, the 2nd one includes clamps, windscreen, both turn signals, and the complete headlamp ***'y.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

BTW, all the frames of the same era are the same, e.g. Electra Glide, Road King, Tour Glide.

I've never had the chance to compare the brackets for a Tour Glide fairing with the brackets for a Road Glide fairing but would be interested to know if they are the same or compatible. The Road Glide does look a bit more modern unless you are into that retro thing.

If you are, try looking out for a Craig Vetter Liberator fairing ... or, as I call it, the Craig Vetter Liberace fairing.

The '94 to '96 frame is slight different from the '97 to 2007 frame but really only to do with seat height (earlier is taller) and rear fork or swing arm and axles. And then brakes. Those, along with your suspension units, are the your obvious areas to look at upgrading and cheaply so (If you fit later fork sliders, you can fit latter style wheels and the latest Brembo brakes. It's not as expensive as it might sound and will make a big difference).

Engine-wise, is it all stock?

How much to do you know about H-Ds, I don't want to be teaching you how to suck your eggs.

The great thing about the Evo is that despite being consider official obsolete ... and a lot of parts for the TGs are already ... it's simple to work out, reliable and can be made to perform well cheaply.

You'll want a free-er breathing air cleaner, to change the needle and some jetting, and to throw in a mild cam all of which has been discussed 10,000 times here and on other forums.

Asking which cam is a bit like asking the oil question ... (the right answer is, the first reasonably priced low end torque one you find).

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 09-01-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

How are you getting on with this ... we never saw your pictures?

I just notice in the Prestoncycle.com catalogue, they have a load of different aftermarket nacelle conversion kits for different models in metal. Other folks make fibreglass ones.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just some thoughts.

Unless I'm mistaken, the original Tour Glides from the early 90's used an instrument cluster mounted to the handlebars that was very close in design to that used on the FLHS "Electra Glide Sport" which was in production through 1993.

If you're interested in rebuilding the bike without the fairing, I think you might be able to find headlight parts (nacelle, etc.) designed for the FLHS, that could go on the front of the bike you have without much trouble or "adaptation". Windshield parts, as well.

I would try to get ahold of a parts book for the 1993 FLHS, along with one for the 1995 Tour Glide, and check to see if a swap could be made. I seem to recall someone else doing just this -- that is, converting a Tour Glide into a "Road King" style bike without too many difficulties.

It could be a way to get your bike into riding condition for considerably less cash output...