Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Long, It's Been Good To Know You!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default So Long, It's Been Good To Know You!

Well, after 2 1/2 years I finally gave in and traded my 2012 Streetglide. It was a tough decision, but time and conditions were right to go back to my favorite bike, a Softail. Over the last 2 years I had a lot of fun with my FLHX, but it never got to the point where I could just forget about the bike and ride. Blame it on the weight, the high center of gravity, whatever, but it was a bit of a chore in town riding 2 up, which is how I roll 95% of the time.

I really never got to ride the long distances that the bike was made for, so I really didn't give it a chance to shine. I made what I feel was a great deal on a 2014 Heritage, and I have to admit, the ride home from the dealer was a blast. I forgot how much I liked the counter-balanced motor, sitting in the bike, and the lighter weight. I"ll miss the tunes, but I'm already planning my new Softail stereo system. I'm sure this bike will do whatever mileage I throw at it, short of cross country, so for now I'm a happy camper. Let the mods begin, have fun baggers, see you in the wind!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

I put over 60K miles on an 05 Heritage Classic, my first Harley. A lot of those miles were cross country and weekend trips. It will do everything you need and more!

Enjoy!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

At the PNW HOG Rally I spoke to a guy who traded his Heritage in on a new Touring model. I asked him what he thought about his new bike. His answer:

"I made a mistake."

Enjoy your Softie!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I rode my Heritage across country a few times...

No issues.

Ride what you love, and enjoy!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM
JakeyL.
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First HD I ever fell in love with... Heritage softail. Classic beautiful lines... Closest thing aesthically to the '49 Pan head I can think of... My function over form mindset led me to the Roadking. But I often day dream, "what if" ?? Could never get over all the chrome studs... But then again, my tastes have been on the odd side for years. Good luck to you. Knowing what you like, and then finding it, is a blessing. No doubt about that. Ride safe

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

You ain't the only Softail lover on the touring forum. I have been kicking myself in the nuts for over a YEAR, for trading my Anniversary Fat Boy for my Road King. They are both great bikes, but I needed a bigger bike to haul the wife around. Now she has her own Sportster, and I'm stuck with my barge.......and a payment. One day, many years from now, I will be posting the same thread as you. But not for a few years.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Congrats on your new choice. Heritage is classic harley and ride hella nice. IMO, softtails are underrated with a lot of riders, but I have yet to find a new harley that I want more than my fatty sofftail.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

13 Heritage here. Great machine. I also want a new Ultra. So wife's ok with me keeping the Heritage and getting an Ultra. The Heritage wheelbase is 1/5 inch longer than the touring models. I also being tall have more room to move my feet around on the running boards without the lowers being there.
There is always pro's and con's, but the Swiss army knife of bikes can't be beat.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Well, after 2 1/2 years I finally gave in and traded my 2012 Streetglide. It was a tough decision, but time and conditions were right to go back to my favorite bike, a Softail. Over the last 2 years I had a lot of fun with my FLHX, but it never got to the point where I could just forget about the bike and ride. Blame it on the weight, the high center of gravity, whatever, but it was a bit of a chore in town riding 2 up, which is how I roll 95% of the time.

I really never got to ride the long distances that the bike was made for, so I really didn't give it a chance to shine. I made what I feel was a great deal on a 2014 Heritage, and I have to admit, the ride home from the dealer was a blast. I forgot how much I liked the counter-balanced motor, sitting in the bike, and the lighter weight. I"ll miss the tunes, but I'm already planning my new Softail stereo system. I'm sure this bike will do whatever mileage I throw at it, short of cross country, so for now I'm a happy camper. Let the mods begin, have fun baggers, see you in the wind!
As a former owner of a 2005 RK Custom and 2007 E/Glide, both great bikes for long runs. Now I mostly do day trips and occasional overnight trips and a 10 day vacation once a year. I bought a 2011 Heritage in Sept of 2011 and my Heritage is by far my favorite Harley I have owned. This bike has it's own character and look. I get the "bug" for a RKC from time to time until I remember wrestling with my earlier FL's. As far as tunes, I invested in a pair of self amplified J&M speakers MAS-2008. Not cheap, plenty of sound and bolt straight onto the hand control mount bolts and a clean, easy install. Mine have 1000's of hrs of play time and never missed a beat. High dollar, worth every penny.

Last edited by checkers; 08-29-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have regretted for a long time that I didn't get a Heritage instead of my bike. As I have gotten a few years older it gets more challenging to push the bike around or maneuver it into parking spots. If I ever get a different bike someday, it will be a Softail. Touring is nice but just too darn heavy and tall, even with it lowered.

Quick Reply: So Long, It's Been Good To Know You!