Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW K vs HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 PM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Don't know if i buy the maintenance reliability is better on a harley. A 10k service from the harley dealers here in CA, is twice if not 3 times the price of a BMW service on the boxer engine. I see more high mileage beemers on the road around here too then any harley. Needless to say, i love my road glide and would not trade it for anything at this point. But if i was going to get a second bike for the stable, it would be a 1200RT, the new one. I have ridden the RT for years, i love it and it rides amazing, but its not a harley. i want my main ride to be a harley. But i have to give it to bmw, when harley has a recall you don't get crap, when bmw just did the last recall on the suspension component, they gave loaner bikes and a couple thousand dollars for the invconvience. Harley could learn a thing or two about customer service, they suck at that nowadays.
Former '10 GSA owner. Loved the bike. But it was once down for nearly a month for a minor rear brake fitting. That hurt.

Last edited by rnothog; 08-29-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:59 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I have no idea what the BMW K is, but thought I would share this picture I captured while I was in Custer just after the rally.
This 'old' BMW has an Earles front suspension that rises the bike when braking; I had one in the 70's that felt like I had to move an anvil during maneuvers.
The EG is a bicycle compared to my (ex) R50, and the RK a feather.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,194 Likes on 2,825 Posts

It's all in what you want in a ride. I had and RT and moved on to a RK. After two years I am tired of throwing money at it to try and turn it into something it will never be.....so I put a deposit down on another RT and will be moving on.
Do people tour on a Harley? Absolutely. But in my opinion Harley does not make a true touring rig. And I am one who has toured on a Harley. As a matte of fact I am leaving for another 8 day trip in a couple of days.

IMHO if you want a sport tourer you have to look elsewhere than HD. And by no means does this statement mean HD doesn't make a quality ride. It's just not a sport tourer

Last edited by TracerBullet; 08-30-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing with BMWs is you either like the way they look or don't care.If you're like me and like a bike with classic style that also happens to be a decent tourer the HD has it coming and going.BMW may build a faster, better handling bike but that German industrial art styling just turns me off. Also the ones I've sat on are no where near as comfortable as an Electraglide, to me kind of like a really nice office chair verses a Barcolounger.On the other hand if you like to haul a$$ and don't want to spend a bunch of money on upgrades the Bimmer is the bike for you.That said I did spend at least 6 hours today rolling at 80+ on the Electraglide and that was plenty fast enough for me.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

As an aging smurf, I'm less and less willing to put up with a bike that doesn't fit me well. Almost all of the current BMWs are designed for people with much longer limbs than mine. Especially legs.

So while I'll freely admit they are a superior bike with regards to handling and performance and German technology, they are simply a no-go for me because of their height first, their overall ergonomics second, and their top-heavy feel. F800GS low seat version being the sole exception. That bike fits me pretty well.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I have no idea what the BMW K is, but thought I would share this picture I captured while I was in Custer just after the rally.
That's a '60's /2 frame with a mid '70's R90s engine. You see this kind of mod in side car rigs a lot. The /2 frames were set up for a side car from the factory and putting a /5,/6 or/7 engine in them gives them more power and 12vdc electrics. I don't know a lot about the latest generation of BMW's, I road and worked on the oil heads and flying brick K's. I had two K1200LT's and loved them. I never had any major failures, like a rear drive, but when you do it's big bucks and sometimes parts are slow.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

If you go to this forum http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php in the General discussion section, their is an 11 page comparison with some good reading on this very subject.
I too have thought I would like the K1600, nice bike just not for me. The only thing I can add is their was just something missing......like it didn't have a soul.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Berardi3
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
As an aging smurf, I'm less and less willing to put up with a bike that doesn't fit me well. Almost all of the current BMWs are designed for people with much longer limbs than mine. Especially legs.

So while I'll freely admit they are a superior bike with regards to handling and performance and German technology, they are simply a no-go for me because of their height first, their overall ergonomics second, and their top-heavy feel. F800GS low seat version being the sole exception. That bike fits me pretty well.
Agreed with that statement for those who are vertically challenged BMW is not the best choice .

Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

If you are really interested go here http://www.k1600forum.com/ some of the reading is interesting to say the least!!! Especially the references to Harley's. A lot of ex Harley riders on their.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 AM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Don't know if i buy the maintenance reliability is better on a harley. A 10k service from the harley dealers here in CA, is twice if not 3 times the price of a BMW service on the boxer engine. ........
Not saying it's better, it's not ... but most HD owners can and do do most work themselves ... on a BMW after warranty if you have a major problem it is much, much more difficult and costly to fix ... read up on what needs to be done to fix a final drive or starter problem on a BMW and those occur on more than a few ,,, cheers

Quick Reply: BMW K vs HD