Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a backrest worth it?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:31 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine stays on all the time. Does my back wonders doesn't matter if it is just a short hop or a long haul. How ever what ever you do get a adjustable one and take the time to fine tune it to you.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 AM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1511
I just rode 750 Miles in the last few days and was looking for anyone's opinion on how the backrest works out for you. I had one on my last non harley bike and used it once. It made me sit upright and it was uncomfortable. It didn't adjust at all. If you do have one how much am I looking at spending? Thanks for the help
i have adjustable from Harley and I dont know how I rode so many years without one

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 AM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

In a word.....YES!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the adjustable, you can choose to slouch or sit straight up. I move my sitting position on the go on trips. The adjustable backrest is the best item I have ever put on my bikes and always the first item purchased.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGlide12
if you want it out of the way for a few miles you can just lean it all the way back out of the way. I tend to change possitions alot on long rides.
There must be some adjustment I am missing, because when mine is pushed all the way back, it is basically standing straight up. I wish it would go back farther. Is there a way to adjust it?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,237 Likes on 808 Posts

I've had back rests, off and on, with various bikes. I'd have to say their worthwhile is the proverbial "it depends". Mostly on how you sit on the bike. If you've got your bike set up to already hold you forward, the backrest isn't going to do much of anything. On the other hand if you've bars and such that let you lean well back, and slouch, a backrest can help tremendously. Only other caviat with a backrest is their ability to basically punch you in the small of the back on potholes if your rear suspension isn't set up well.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:43 AM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not only is a backrest crucial to long distance comfort but if you're gonna do a iron but or just taking off for some extended touring there are a few other things necessary...

Loose fitting/comfortable pants
Something between your butt and the seat
Seamless underwear (check out LDComfort.com or similar)

I'm no touring guru but I've done my share of ironbutt's and some occasional 500-600 mile a day road trips.

I have the adjustable HD backrest that ended up costing +$300 for everything but I can tell you having that adjustability helps on the long hauls.

As for seat covers, you need to get some degree of air moving between your butt and seat. I tried a couple inflatables and gel pads but those didn't work out for me. I ended up buying the basic pad that HD makes I guess as an alternative to a sheep skin. It's thin and fits the seat really well. You barely notice it's there and its just enough to get some air circulating between you and the seat.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,500 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Kinda like comparing sitting on a padded stool with and without the back. Which is more comfy after awhile. I didn't want to get into comparing your bike's seat with a stool, but you get the idea.

My back rest stays on most of the time, and all of the time for long trips.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently got a Corbin with drivers backrest. I love it. Plus if you fall asleep you won't roll off the back.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

HD Adjustable here also. Easy to remove, folds down to assist passenger. Make adjustments on the fly on long trips. Helps with backing up your bike.
Makes things much mo betta...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a backrest worth it?