Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a backrest worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:10 AM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I finally installed the HD adjustable backrest on my Tri Glide. I really like it but initially had one problem.

The vertical adjustment on it was a sloppy fit. Wiggled all over when leaning back against it. Very annoying.

I selected the correct height for me and welded it solid. Removed the spring-loaded button and other stuff associated with that vertical adjustment.

I still have the fore-aft adjustment.

Now when leaning back it is very solid. No longer feel the pain from slouching.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

A backrest with some adjustment can make a huge difference in comfort. Also, if you get one that has a little pocket on the back of it, your passenger will really thank you for it!

I've had one on my last 6 baggers.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD backrest is always on my bike. It adds comfort on short and long rides by improving my posture. I went without it once and never again.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hAkron
My street glide came with the HD back rest. I have it adjusted all the way back, but I feel like it pushes me too far forward. I've tried to move the bracket, but there is only one position where the seat fits the bike.

I have the sundowner seat by the way.
Same thing with mine -- feels too far forward even when all the way back. Also, at the lowest position the pad was still too tall for my comfort -- I wanted something against my lower back. Also, the fact that it was too tall was a big part of why it felt like it was pushing me forward.

So I modified it today. There is about 2 inches between the bottom of the pad at the lowest position and the top of the seat. I cut the steel bar at the half-way point between the bottom of the pad adjuster and the bend and overlapped the two parts. The overlap is about 2 inches, thus eliminating the excess height. Then I drilled two holes and assembled them with two 1/4 bolts. I assembled it with the top part bolted to the back side of the bottom part, thus moving it back just a little.

the backrest support cut, overlapped, and bolted back together.

On the bike at the lowest position, the backrest now supports my lower back.

The backrest feels just right now. To the OP: yes, get the adjustable backrest. It makes a big difference on longer rides.

Last edited by davemc; 08-30-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Kirk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Corbin Solo with backrest and passenger pillion for when my wife rides. It wasn't cheap, but I have done several 500 miles days in a row when riding from CT to Sturgis and I am very comfortable. We'll worth the money.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

HD Adjustable works great for me.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

HD non-adjustable, if its not connected to the seat its in the saddlebag where I can get to it easily If I feel I need it. Radio up, cruise set, and leaning back into the rest with my feet kicked up on the highway pegs. Its almost like cheating!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is when looking at the adjustable backrest from HD, I see there is a cable and latch for movement on the fly. Where does this mount to?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 AM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under/behind the left side mid-frame wind/heat deflector. You won't even know it's there.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 AM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1511-- it mounts to the rear frame member by your left leg, behind the rear cylinder, where the midframe air deflector on that side would go. If you have the air deflectors, the latch is covered and out of sight.

Quick Reply: Is a backrest worth it?