Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration on the new bike.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 AM
MudmanMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration on the new bike.

I just bought my 14 Limited about 2 weeks ago. I bought it with 1 mile and as soon as I drove off the lot I got the message of no fob flashing. It went away and I returned to the dealer the next morning. They looked at it and said no big deal one fob wasn't programmed bring it back on Tuesday and we will replace it. I take it in the advisor shows me how to pull the codes. It pops up with 12 BCM codes. They take it back and replace the BCM and then it only pulled 2 codes. They said they couldn't get it figured out and would need more time. I googled the codes and it came down to BCM not being programmed right. Pretty pissed but was going to let it wait until the service appointment next week. Then I am riding Thursday and I went to adjust the lower vent door and the damn thing pops out! That was my last straw. I waited 12 hours before going to the dealer to cool down. I talk to the service manager and express my extreme displeasure with his service department. Explain that obviously I wasted money for the VIP package since I couldn't trust the service there. I figure if a tech cant put a simple little door together I sure as hell wouldn't trust them to do a service. He was like let me make this right. So he takes my bike in that the advisor said they didn't have time to look at until my scheduled service and fixes the 2 codes in 15 minutes. I was pretty impressed until I leave and hit 65 go to hit the cruise and loose the gear indicator and have no cruise. So now I have no cruise. Do I take it back and give them a chance or take it to another dealer? I love the bike but damn if I spend more on my toy then my work truck I expect fewer problems. Maybe I should have stuck to my wide glide that I did all the service on and had 0 problems.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Only 1 mile?? Obviously they just took it out of the crate and gave it to you. Every new bike I have purchased had anywhere between 8 to 11 miles on it where they took it for a check out ride to get everything hot, make sure everything works and it was right before they let me have it.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth, bought a new 2014 limited last Saturday and rode it straight home, roughly 16 miles. We pull up to the garage door and my gf says what's leaking from the bottom of the bike? I get off, look down & every drop of coolant poured out onto the ground! I was PISSED! Called the dealer, they come over and pick it up and 3 hrs later dropped it off. Apparently there was air in the cooling system and when it got hot it blew it all out. **** happens.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
MudmanMike
Cruiser

I agree with **** happens just extremely frustrated with the dealer. Have 0 faith in the service department. Minus the codes I love the bike. A friend bought a 14 and after his first service he had a clanking coming from the Tranny that sounded like a washer was bouncing around in it. Took it in they said it was shot and would discuss the cost to repair it. Waiting to see what they do to make it right.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:09 AM
The instigator
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unacceptable for a new bike.
Good on you for waiting 12 hours too cool down before going in to discuss with them.
At this point, youre caught between a rock and a hard place.........Give the bike back, and your in for a fight, or, suck it up and see how it goes.
Id want to give it back and get a refund.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by The instigator
Unacceptable for a new bike.
Good on you for waiting 12 hours too cool down before going in to discuss with them.
At this point, youre caught between a rock and a hard place.........Give the bike back, and your in for a fight, or, suck it up and see how it goes.
Id want to give it back and get a refund.
+1 I wouldn't wait for the next problem. I'd want to start over with a new ride.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you got it with 1 mile the PDI (pre delivery inspection) clearly was not done. A road test is one of the MANY items on that list. When the survey comes from Harley be sure to give this dealer the LOWEST rating possible. And in the comments section add that 0 was not a low enough rating.

Last edited by vzts4q; 08-30-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't assume it's all been checked & adjusted when you do it hasn't

Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You are not alone. I believe there is a class action suit against Harley for these leaking twin cooled bikes.

Write up on Cyril Huze blog.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM
peerm13
Cruiser

With that many problems out of the gate, I definitely wouldn't let that service department touch it again. Either call it a day and demand a full refund for the bike or take it to another dealer. There are plenty of quality dealerships that would love to have your business.

Quick Reply: Frustration on the new bike.