Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable tourpak kit for CVO ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable tourpak kit for CVO ripoff

So I took my 13 Ultra CVO in to stealer for detach kit. First they just ordered the kit. I had to pay $700 in advance to order parts. It also included inside fairing antenna for stereo. After I take the bike in, they call and tell me they can’t do it on my CVO, my amp is to large. Only option is for me to buy a smaller amp($569). I reluctantly agree. I then get a call saying it won’t work without some JM kit for in fairing cb antenna. I said NO. They have had to order some special electrical connectors supposedly because my bike is CVO. Claim they have 8 hrs of labor and a rough estimate of $2000 now. unbelievable, all because its a CVO bike, they claim wiring harness is all different

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 AM
westnash
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just say no to all this and get the bike back home. Then go over exactly what you do have to have and if you need the dealer to install it. You can do a lot better and it sounds like they don't have a clue.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! They saw you coming with that CVO. Sorry for you.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I would say go to another dealer.

Parts $$$ are in line.

My good friend with a 2011 CVO Road Glide ultra had his done. It did cost around $900.00 for install. (not if parts were included) They installed the STOCK amp in the right saddlebag. Cutting a small whole for all the amp wiring and even used a cool rubber gasket to make it look super clean.

Good luck,

YB

Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I would say go to another dealer.

Parts $$$ are in line.

My good friend with a 2011 CVO Road Glide ultra had his done. It did cost around $900.00 for install. (not if parts were included) They installed the STOCK amp in the right saddlebag. Cutting a small whole for all the amp wiring and even used a cool rubber gasket to make it look super clean.

Good luck,

YB
That's one way to do it,but that sort of creativity to enhance your tunes is a cop out (especially on an "Ultra") if you're actually going to do roadtrips I don't see the wisdom of taking up saddle bag space or having to care if you open the lid in a rainstorm.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

The amp can actually be relocated to the fairing. Would be easier and cheaper to go aftermarket but you would have to rewire everything.

Hogtunes 40.4 amp would do the same thing as stock CVO, and the harness is already set up for quick detach.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
The amp can actually be relocated to the fairing. Would be easier and cheaper to go aftermarket but you would have to rewire everything.
Hogtunes 40.4 amp would do the same thing as stock CVO, and the harness is already set up for quick detach.
Not sure about relocating to the fairing. Remember the CVO has iPod, CB, and XM modules already. Starts getting cramped in there.

I have the CVO amp on my limited and in the saddle bag sounds like a good option if your mechanic can do it tastefully.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9170
So I took my 13 Ultra CVO in to stealer for detach kit. First they just ordered the kit. I had to pay $700 in advance to order parts. It also included inside fairing antenna for stereo. After I take the bike in, they call and tell me they can’t do it on my CVO, my amp is to large. Only option is for me to buy a smaller amp($569). I reluctantly agree. I then get a call saying it won’t work without some JM kit for in fairing cb antenna. I said NO. They have had to order some special electrical connectors supposedly because my bike is CVO. Claim they have 8 hrs of labor and a rough estimate of $2000 now. unbelievable, all because its a CVO bike, they claim wiring harness is all different
CVO are totally different and that is where the large discrepancy is between CVO's and standard bikes come in.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tinman265
Not sure about relocating to the fairing. Remember the CVO has iPod, CB, and XM modules already. Starts getting cramped in there.

I have the CVO amp on my limited and in the saddle bag sounds like a good option if your mechanic can do it tastefully.
The Hogtunes amp is designed to work with one of the modules. The other two can be relocated under the Harman Kardon with Velcro.

Saddle bag is OK if you don't mind losing bag space and don't stuff your bags full. The amp will need air around it to keep it cool.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain

Thanks for those that offered advice. I just want the cleaner look and wasn’t sure of what they were saying.

Last edited by fireman9170; 08-31-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Detachable tourpak kit for CVO ripoff