Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Use of the HD CB with Any BT Headset

Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Fox2kill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Use of the HD CB with Any BT Headset

This thread summarizes the new developments with regard to being able to use your HD's CB in the normal manner when using a wireless BT headset.

A harness has been created that wires a BT transceiver to your HD's audio system, thus allowing a wireless connection between your bike and your BT headset. The bike's BT transceiver is a Sena SMH10. This transceiver can be mounted on the handlebars, in a saddlebag, or a variety of other places. Transmitting on the CB is entirely normal, just like with a wired headset, with no delay or latency. The system's only compromise is that the BT profile (HSP) used to connect the bike's audio system and the BT headsets will not support stereo; so, FM and CD music from the bike's audio system is mono. Not a problem if your BT headset has the A2DP profile to connect to a phone or MP3 player. For stereo music from the bike's audio system, the harness has a cable to plug into an optional Sena SM10. With the SM10 installed, you can toggle between 1) talking on the CB while monitoring mono music, and 2) listening to stereo music while monitoring the CB for a call, with just one tap of the Jog Dial to switch between the two sessions.

Attached are photos of 2 harnesses; one for connecting to the rider's DIN headset port, and the other for a more-transparent install that connects to the Deutsch connector on the Audio Overlay Harness under the fuel tank. A patent was applied for on 12/27/2013, reserving the right to build these harnesses for sale on the retail market. Will publish a circuit diagram soon for riders who want to build their own for personal use. A certain company is considering producing the harnesses and I will reveal its name when it has product in stock, ready for sale. Two HD riders already have prototype versions of the harness and have reported that they like it very much. One rider has a 2014 HD and says he can use voice commands via his BT headset.

I created a harness very similar to these for the GoldWing community 9 months ago and there are now hundreds of riders using them with great success. The GW harness is produced and sold by Sierra Electronics. See http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=539

These harnesses are not necessary if your HD does not have a CB, or it has one but you don't care to transmit on it. In either of these 2 cases, your best solution is a Sena SM10 with a HD-specific dongle. Exception: 2014 HD without CB may want to consider this harness for wireless voice commands.

I am not a vendor. I don't have any harnesses for sale. I am just an inventor who has created something I hope the HD community finds useful.

Attached Thumbnails Full Use of the HD CB with Any BT Headset-img_0809.jpg   Full Use of the HD CB with Any BT Headset-img_0811.jpg  

Last edited by Fox2kill; 09-07-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

interesting, will follow this thread. (Available if you need another guinea pig)

Last edited by SeaZund; 08-30-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I like the idea. Which years of bikes are compatible?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 AM
HDFBagR
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand that Spoiled Biker has had an adapter on the market for a while now which uses the SMH10 and works identically the same way. http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3326.html

Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Fox2kill
Novice

Originally Posted by HDFBagR
I understand that Spoiled Biker has had an adapter on the market for a while now which uses the SMH10 and works identically the same way. http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3326.html
Spoiled Biker quit carrying it. It's made by AKE in Germany. Expensive $300. A rider gave me his because he hated it so much. I have not used it yet. It does NOT use the Sena SMH10, rather it uses a unique BT transceiver.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Fox2kill
Novice

Originally Posted by cficole
I like the idea. Which years of bikes are compatible?
So far, it's been tested on a 2006, 2008 and 2014 HD. If your HD has a 7-pin DIN connector for the headset port, then the harness should work fine. Don't know enough about Harleys to guess how far back the HD intercom system goes.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I may be way out of bounds here but to me it looks like you'd still be wired to the bike. Am I wrong? Kind defeats the purpose of a blue tooth head set doesn't it?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 PM
jskicet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT

I like it. I have 2 Sena's already. I use the bike for music but I would like to be able to answer the phone with my headset instead of being plugged in with a HD set. I can do it now with only the music connected by BT from my phone, but I kinda like to see the text function work without using Siri along with voice command. I'm interested!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Fox2kill
Novice

Originally Posted by craigffb
I may be way out of bounds here but to me it looks like you'd still be wired to the bike. Am I wrong? Kind defeats the purpose of a blue tooth head set doesn't it?
One end of the harness plugs into your bike's audio system and the other end plugs into a Sena SMH10 BT transceiver module. In the pictures in post #1 you can see the harness is connected to a Sena helmet clamp with a SMH10 attached. All of this is attached to the bike, not the rider, and it can be completely hidden so people looking at your bike have no clue it has a BT adapter. Then, you put on your helmet with a Sena SMH10 BT headset, and link up using the intercom profile. No wires between you and the bike. You can hear every sound the bike's audio system can produce, and you can talk on the CB radio just like the wired headset riders do. Did I mention "no wires between you and the bike."

Last edited by Fox2kill; 09-02-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox2kill
So far, it's been tested on a 2006, 2008 and 2014 HD. If your HD has a 7-pin DIN connector for the headset port, then the harness should work fine. Don't know enough about Harleys to guess how far back the HD intercom system goes.
It oughta work with mine, then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full Use of the HD CB with Any BT Headset