Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB SWR Meter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
You will need an adapter to connect the meter to the antenna port of the radio module. But I'm sure you realize that.

Joe,

My plan is to leave the SWR meter connected inline in the fairing. I'm going with the Nissei RS-27 which is a very compact meter, I think I can just either use Velcro or 3M tape and stick it on top of the radio next to the CB Module.

By doing it this way, I won't need any special adapters, everything will be PL259 connectors. And also, once I get the antenna tuned, I won't have to remove the meter and take a chance on screwing up the Standing Wave.

Another nice thing about the Nissei, is that it has very little signal loss so leaving it inline shouldn't cause a problem. It's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I've also ordered a 3' coax jumper with PL259 connectors to be able to connect the meter to the Module.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben A
We'll I saw a picture of the cb radio and it looked like a standard PL259 radio connector. If it is not I would be wasting a lot of time until I get the right connector. My plan is to eliminate the connector under the seat with 2 PL259s and a double female connector.

Ben,

Why replace the Coax? Seems like a lot of extra work for very little benefit.

I'm gonna connect the SWR Meter inside the Fairing and just leave it there, that way everything is already PL259 and you don't need any special adapters.

Read the message above this one.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben A
We'll I saw a picture of the cb radio and it looked like a standard PL259 radio connector. If it is not I would be wasting a lot of time until I get the right connector. My plan is to eliminate the connector under the seat with 2 PL259s and a double female connector.

Ben, it's not a standard PL259. It is a TNC connector. You should be able to get an adapted TNC to PL259 (Radio Shack) to use the meter... TNC was used by some bag phones back in the day.....

Here's what you'll need listed on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161078544444?lpid=82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UHF-Male-PL2...item4d17f0a67e

This will let you go in to the Meter's PL259 from the Antenna's TNC and out of the Meter's PL259 into the Radio's TNC. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TeeStu; 08-31-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You lose some signal leaving the meter in line and the constant vibration will probably ruin it sooner rather than later. I don't see the reason for that. You check it, adjust it if needed and remove it. It serves no purpose to leave it in-line.

The following 2 users liked this post by mike5511:
JimL_15 Electra Glide (12-16-2022), Speleo (12-16-2022)
Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike5511
You lose some signal leaving the meter in line and the constant vibration will probably ruin it sooner rather than later. I don't see the reason for that. You check it, adjust it if needed and remove it. It serves no purpose to leave it in-line.

I agree, and I wouldn't change the coax out unless you have someone to put the right connectors on each end...

Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TeeStu
I agree, and I wouldn't change the coax out unless you have someone to put the right connectors on each end...
And I think that takes a special tool with the connectors used on the HD.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

there is a lot more to getting the CB to working right than just getting the swr right. A dumie load which is used to test radios without using and antenna has an swr of 1.1 to 1 which is perfect. Problem is it won't talk 2 feet. The way the antenna system is set up on the 14's is a major problem. In the tourpack area the connector is exposed to moisture and gets corroded and is the first problem. second problem is the coax in the touring pack isn't shielded all the way to the antenna connection and is on the aluminum plate which is the ground portion of the antenna. The Third problem is the antenna itself isn't designed too well. Haven't tried it but have read the shorty antenna has a better loading coil and will work much better than the standard length antenna. what the loading coil does is makes up the difference between a standard 1/4 wave length antenna which is a 108" whip. Don't think I want one of those on my bike. I have run the steel whip antenna from a 2008 and it did much better than the standard length.
Every extra connection makes a bad system worse. Leaving the SWR bridge attached is a very bad idea.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:26 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I worked in a radio shop for 20 yrs. The meter is better left in circuit. That is why high quality CB radios have it built in.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
there is a lot more to getting the CB to working right than just getting the swr right. A dumie load which is used to test radios without using and antenna has an swr of 1.1 to 1 which is perfect. Problem is it won't talk 2 feet. The way the antenna system is set up on the 14's is a major problem. In the tourpack area the connector is exposed to moisture and gets corroded and is the first problem. second problem is the coax in the touring pack isn't shielded all the way to the antenna connection and is on the aluminum plate which is the ground portion of the antenna. The Third problem is the antenna itself isn't designed too well. Haven't tried it but have read the shorty antenna has a better loading coil and will work much better than the standard length antenna. what the loading coil does is makes up the difference between a standard 1/4 wave length antenna which is a 108" whip. Don't think I want one of those on my bike. I have run the steel whip antenna from a 2008 and it did much better than the standard length.
Every extra connection makes a bad system worse. Leaving the SWR bridge attached is a very bad idea.
Good post!

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
I worked in a radio shop for 20 yrs. The meter is better left in circuit. That is why high quality CB radios have it built in.
Would you explain why and what purpose that serves?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:40 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
the "built-in" meter circuitry soldered inside of a "high quality" CB radio and mounted in a car is quite a bit different from an add on aftermarket meter cabled and velcro'd into a system subjected to the vibrations of a motorcycle. Do you think the delicate meter movement itself in that cheap meter was intended to be subjected to that environment? Your weak link isn't keeping the 2 additional coax connectors tight, it's the jeweled meter movement.

Quick Reply: CB SWR Meter Question