Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 states, 4 days, 1st long tour tips

Old 08-31-2014, 08:50 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 states, 4 days, 1st long tour tips

Just returned from my first long trip ever on a Harley. Rode my 2013 FLHTK Ultra Limited 1,680 miles through 8 states in four days. A business counterpart buddy flew in and rented a 2015 FLHTCU Ultra Classic from our local dealer for the trip. Had a stinkin' blast! While others have shared long tour tips, this was my "rookie run." In an effort to encourage others considering a long ride, or maybe those who might be apprehensive, I share some tips I learned.

> My bike ran flawlessly. There were two 600 mile days. I do my own maintenance. If your bike is tip-top, ride it confidently. If it's not, get it that way. It just makes the trip more enjoyable when you're not worried about break downs. The FLHTK is just made for touring.

>Many on here have stated the importance of staying hydrated on long trips. It's true. Temps ran in the upper 90's during all four days on the ride. The heat and wind just dry you out. Having a drink holder is a great accessory. I always kept a bottle of water.

>Dri-fit shirts are ideal for long rides in the summer. Fatigue happens when you sweat and can't remove the moisture. Cotton gets wet and stays wet. Dri-fit shirts "wick" the moisture away and it evaporates quickly. Wish HD would make and sell Dri-fit logo'd shirts. All my Harley t-shirts are heavy cotton.

>Along those lines, seamless underwear is an absolute must! Bought the inexpensive BCG brand from Academy. BIG difference than my cotton boxers. Jus' sayin.

>Sunscreen. 50 spf. 'Nuf said.

>Bike-to-bike communication was nice to have and was important at times in times of "hey I need a bathroom break." We used the CBs, ch. 8 (the rental bike was retro fitted with a Limited radio/CB). Both of us had these: http://www.freeridemotosports.com/st...k_Headset.html. Had to cover the mic when we talked at highway speeds to lower the wind noise. But it was intelligible. With that said, we would've been fine with hand signals too.

>The tour pak and saddle bags hold a remarkable amount of stuff. Roll your clothes and you can pack for days.

>You're going to ride in rain. Prepare for it. Both of us had Harley hi-vis rain suits. But one ANNOYING aspect of them is we could not keep the rain from getting in through the collar/neck area. We rode for 2 hours one day in just a solid down pour. Water just finds it way in. That day we just were soaked. Now we only wore half helmets and goggles. We both own full face modular helmets but opted not to bring them because of the heat. That might've made a difference.

>Was surprised how well the bike handled in the rain. I've got Dunlop American Elites on my bike. They literally stick to the asphalt, and even in highway "truck made" grooves that fill with water, they literally pushed the water away. Was very pleased with that.

>Googlemaps GPS worked great on my iPhone 5. And having it mounted in my Rider's Claw http://www.ridersclaw.com/ was an easy way to manage.

>You will ride at night. There are just some days when the last part of the trip ends at dark. We rode for 2 hrs, approx 165 miles, on the interstate in the dark. Honestly, it was quite relaxing. However, it does require you to be more alert.

>Novus and Harley bug wash need to be in your tour pak along with micro fiber cleaning cloths. Starting out the day with a clean windshield is important.

>Eat light. Eat often. Granola bars and water were our staples during the day.

>8 states: LA, TX, AR, OK, KS, MO, TN, MS

Can't wait for the next ride!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds likes lots of fun. Hopefully you got lots of pictures and wonderful memories and stories to tell.

For bugs, go Walgreens or such and get some travel spray bottles, and hydrogen peroxide and distilled water. Mix 50/50. For wiping, go the cleaning section and get some swifters non treated for the dry mops. Same thing for microfiber clothes just not as durable, but you throw them away.

I tried the BCG underwear from Academy, wicks moisture very well, no sweating butt, however they do have 2 seams that run along the cheeks and under the pelvis, they kept me dry but starting hurting after a while.

chapstick, granola bars and water - great advice. Long sleeve dri-fit shirts best thing for long days riding. Incidentally the dri-fit shirts are really a blend with polyester 70%, lycra 3% and cotton or nylon the rest. The more non cotton the better it is. Carhart, Dickies, Duluth all make them.