Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Front Tire Advice 23" or 26"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Mr.Bones
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bagger Front Tire Advice 23" or 26"?

Hi Folks,

Mr. Bones here and firstly, I would also like to thank this great community for all the help in the past as your advice really helped guide me on my first build. Also I know there are many many threads on this topic, and I have read through many of them as well as continue to speak with builders but am still looking for better/clearer direction.

So here goes...

I'm looking for some advice from those whom have actually done and ride (or have ridden) a 26" big wheel bagger with a neck cut or changed to a 23" with trees.

Bike: 1999 Electra Glide FLHT

Riding style: I already have a '98 Sporty XL 1200C all done as "my bar hopper" and have always wanted to do a bagger. And so it begins... I don't get much of a riding season and my rides are never longer than a 200km. reality is I usually ride about 100km on a Sunday or just hope to a bar during the week.

Question: I've gotten mixed reviews on both the 23" and 26" so pretty darn confused as to which way to go. I love the look of streched down and out bags (or just streched 6") with a big wheel on the front but at the same time still want to be able to ride the bike both safely and comfortably. I'm not looking to make a competition bike but a rather a bike I love to look at and ride, that also turns heads. Also am concerned on cornering with the streched bags as I hear stories of bottom outs and the bags dragging. If you also have any advice on suspension I would really appreciate it.

I would very much appreciate hearing from those of you who have been in my shoes with this dilemma and thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Cheers and be safe always,

Mr. Bones

My first project - Thanks for all of your help with it

Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

nice bike man...i have a road king that i converted to a road glide...did 4" stretched bags/fender, 23" wheel with pickard trees...I have also ridden a few 26" wheel bikes....i have absolutely no complaints with the 23" set up..had the bike 100+ a million times with no wobbles or issues...i have scraped my bags cornering a few times but i think thats because i didn't raise the air ride up enough

the 26" bikes rode just as great...my only complaint is that you can feel the "bumps" a lot more...i think this is due to the lower profile on the tire...i also felt that i had to slow down just a tad bit more when cornering...but this might also be due to the fact that i was riding my buddies bike and just wasn't used to it..hope this helps

Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Mr.Bones
Novice

Hey Fame2,

Thanks for the reply buddy and sweeeetttt lookin bike. So just to confirm that's a 23" on the glide pic?

Many thanks again,

MR. Bones

Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 AM
fame2
Road Master

no problem bud...mine is a 23"...here's a picture along side a 26" for reference...let me know if you need anything else

Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Mr.Bones
Novice

Absolutely sweet bike and thanks again. The reference pic is fantastic and helps a ton when comparing the look. BadDad kit on the back of yours?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM
fame2
Road Master

yes sir...4" bad dad stretched bags with their fender...they also have a new set called competition series bags and fender you should check out! but they extend out a little further so not sure about cornering and stuff

Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's a buddies 26", I get white knuckled following him on the twisties, cut and raked by Covington

Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM
ElGigante
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are better tires for a 23" wheel (Avon). You can ride either one pretty hard if they are built correctly. I run a 23" with Pickard trees and I have tire wear from almost rim lip to lip.

You should check out choppedbaggers.com Lotsa good advice and knowledge over there

Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really a fan or that look, although I will admit the 23/26 is growing on me. Bigger than that.....not so much. Personally I would rather go to a fatter tire like a 180 up front.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate and there's a shoe for every foot! Go with what you like best.
For me I think it's just a fad and can't wait till it goes away. There's one on every page of most MC magazines, it's getting old.
As the above poster stated, it going to make the ride harsher due to the lower profile tire and your cornering geometry will change. I know I'm getting old so for me it's all about the ride and comfort as opposed to glitz.
Please excuse me if you feel I'm raining on your parade, I'm just so darn tired of reading about big wheeled bikes in magazines that I actually cancelled all my subscriptions.
Again, please excuse me, it's not personal, I just had to vent. I wish you the best with whatever you choose.
Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Bagger Front Tire Advice 23" or 26"?