Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

class action lawsuit against the moco...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm guessing there is more to this story than the 3 paragraphs in the article... maybe this guy went to the dealer multiple times (the article seems to say so) in attempts to let HD stand behind their product and make it right..... obviously they didn't or he wouldn't be doing this....

If the guy paid $40,000 for the "best" bike HD makes, or at least the very very top of the line, and it doesn't work right, and they are not fixing, what is he supposed to do??

I'm not judging him.....

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A guy buys a $35k bike and the moco can't, or won't fix a coolant leak and he's a ***** for suing? I'll bet the moco would be happy with that attitude.

David

Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I sold new Harleys through the 2008 model year. I saw the introduction of the first cast crank bikes (cranks should be forged,) and the incredible crank run out issues, the first of the compensator and inner primary bearing problems and of course the wheel bearing failures when they switched to the cheaper 25mm axle.

My '00 Road Glide was hand built (first Screamin' Eagle,) and demonstrated none of those "new bike issues," (and still doesn't.) I passed 100,000 miles years ago. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see what was coming and held onto what I had. It's a decision from the top for a race to the bottom IMO. All the design improvements in the world mean nothing if you left out the quality for the sake of the dollars way back when.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
A guy buys a $35k bike and the moco can't, or won't fix a coolant leak and he's a ***** for suing? I'll bet the moco would be happy with that attitude.

David
I agree. After buying my 2012 Ultra and joining this forum, I've noticed a certain level of desensitization when our bikes have problems. It's as if we accept a certain amount of poor build quality or poor customer service as part of the brand ownership. I've never experienced this in any other bike or car owner's group. If I bought a brand new $35K Ford truck and it leaked coolant, I would be taking legal action too if Ford MoCo would not or could not fix it. Kudos to this guy for not accepting mediocre Kool-Aid even when everyone else thinks it's great.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
This snivelin' little weasel would have lost his mind had he bought a new Harley in the late 70's or early 80's and had to deal with all of the issues they had in those days....and yet, all of us guys who were riding them back in those days managed to have a damn good time with them.
This ain't the 70's. Water-cooled motors are nothing new. Harley should have got it right the first time. But instead, they rushed the bikes to market to meet competitive pressures and make a big splash at the 110th.

Harley will likely settle out of court with Mr. Okon. Bad press is isn't good for sales.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad press doesn't matter.....every time I wonder how Harley stays in business I just have to read a thread where people think problems should be over looked, quality shouldn't be an issue, and who cares how much it cost.

:-)

Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is wrong with demanding that something you paid $25K+ for work as advertised? And when did accepting mediocracy equate to being less a biker??? Its unbelievable what some will accept because it is a name brand.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Six7One
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like any other large company...Harley will address issues that affect their bottom line. That would be issues that kill people, potentially kill people or adversely affect THE BRAND.

The MOCO exists to make money. Everything they do, sell, talk about, etc., is to generate income for their shareholders.
It isn't necessarily evil. But it's what they do. If they could double profits in a sustainable (and guaranteed manner) making jell-o cooled, solar motorcycles; they would.

They are changing how they do business to "ride" that brand, "Harley Davidson" into the global market. If that takes off, they'll change some more. They're going to follow the money.

Personally, I hope the MOCO gets backhanded across the mouth if they have been taking the, "take it or leave it, that's normal" route regarding this problem. In this day and age, people expect more and as much as Harley promises getting you to sign, they better deliver.
/rant

Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
This ain't the 70's. Water-cooled motors are nothing new. Harley should have got it right the first time. But instead, they rushed the bikes to market to meet competitive pressures and make a big splash at the 110th.

Harley will likely settle out of court with Mr. Okon. Bad press is isn't good for sales.
Aha! That's how they came up with the Rushmore name!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM
BigBill94
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may or may not be issues with the bike, however class action lawsuits are usually brought for one main reason, some attorney wants to get paid... rather than protect the "class" or people in this case that bought the bikes.

There is likely a LOT more to this story.

Quick Reply: class action lawsuit against the moco...