Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

class action lawsuit against the moco...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
This ain't the 70's. Water-cooled motors are nothing new. Harley should have got it right the first time. But instead, they rushed the bikes to market to meet competitive pressures and make a big splash at the 110th.

Harley will likely settle out of court with Mr. Okon. Bad press is isn't good for sales.
Originally Posted by Hausguy
Aha! That's how they came up with the Rushmore name!
Ok... that was good.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Class action lawsuits usually require an experienced lawyer to carry it through the court system. This isn't the first time HD has been sued for a crappy product. If ya can't run the bike when the coolant system fails, I would think that's a product failure. I would think HD has the capacity to test their products before marketing them. With the frequent problems of the leaking coolant system we are hearing about, I can't believe that HD didn't know about it and decided to just go to market and repair the ones that come back. It's a business decision and apparently the Business Case Analysis showed that a piece meal repair was cheaper than a re-engineer of the cooling system. That's what the HD leadership thinks of its customers. While they sit back and enjoy their lobster dinner on their 95 foot yacht that you paid for, you sit at home while your bike is in a dealer's shop getting a patch job with the same hardware that was used in the original assembly of the bike.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Harley has changed in the past few years and not for the good. Back ten years or so, when you bought a new bike you would get a VHS tape, Welcome to the family. I am a stock holder and still think the "family" is dead. Gone, mostly are the days when you would show up at a dealership right before they closed with a problem and they would stay open to get you back on the road. Last week when my voltage reg went south I showed up at the service dept at 330, they close at 6. Service writer, without looking up told me to leave it.... too late in the day to start a new job.....

My feeling is when Willie G was there it was run like a family, now its just the bottom line and how many cheap parts we and import from China. Harley is forgetting about their loyal long time customers and in my mind it's going to hurt them. Look out HD, Indian is coming back with vengeance.

Be Safe JIM

Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Many here must think the twin cooled leak issue is still happening in large numbers and cannot be fixed.

Nothing can be further from the truth. I own one of the early we the ads. My first two months of ownership was extremely rough. My bike was fixed three times. Their was a time when I really wondered if I had made a mistake trading my 07 CVO.

Once Harley figured out the primary issue was due to the filler neck quality, they quickly introduced a quality replacement part for production and to update the bikes with the inferior fill neck. Once the quality fill neck was installed into my bike my issues stopped. The last 9 months have been flawless. I love this bike, far superior to the bike I traded. I find the vast majority of twin cooled owners to be more than happy. The vast majority love their Rushmore Limited. The problem is not a design issue. It WAS a part issue, that has been corrected.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Many here must think the twin cooled leak issue is still happening in large numbers and cannot be fixed.

Nothing can be further from the truth. I own one of the early we the ads. My first two months of ownership was extremely rough. My bike was fixed three times. Their was a time when I really wondered if I had made a mistake trading my 07 CVO.

Once Harley figured out the primary issue was due to the filler neck quality, they quickly introduced a quality replacement part for production and to update the bikes with the inferior fill neck. Once the quality fill neck was installed into my bike my issues stopped. The last 9 months have been flawless. I love this bike, far superior to the bike I traded. I find the vast majority of twin cooled owners to be more than happy. The vast majority love their Rushmore Limited. The problem is not a design issue. It WAS a part issue, that has been corrected.
........... your point? Acceptance to a part flaw OR design flaw, neither should be acceptable on a $30K machine, especially with the numbers it's affected and the wait for those to have it fixed .... sometimes more than once? It's not like this is the only issue the 14's have had.........

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
Harley has changed in the past few years and not for the good. Back ten years or so, when you bought a new bike you would get a VHS tape, Welcome to the family. I am a stock holder and still think the "family" is dead. Gone, mostly are the days when you would show up at a dealership right before they closed with a problem and they would stay open to get you back on the road. Last week when my voltage reg went south I showed up at the service dept at 330, they close at 6. Service writer, without looking up told me to leave it.... too late in the day to start a new job.....

My feeling is when Willie G was there it was run like a family, now its just the bottom line and how many cheap parts we and import from China. Harley is forgetting about their loyal long time customers and in my mind it's going to hurt them. Look out HD, Indian is coming back with vengeance.

Be Safe JIM
Indian, oops I mean POLARIS can come back with vengeance, and what ever else they can find, they aren't going to touch Harley. All they are is a Victory with different name. I have not seen Victory do much damage to the Moco, and I highly doubt that putting a name like Indian that has been bought and sold as many times as it has, on a bike is going to make much difference. Indian did come before Harley and they had a good product , but hey boys there is no more Indian, and hasn't been for a very long time, only a name that Polaris bought the rights to. And yes Harley was bought by AMF, we all know that story, but the company was bought back by the people and family of the original Moco, The only thing the Polaris has in common with Indian is the name that they and many others have boughten.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Indian, oops I mean POLARIS can come back with vengeance, and what ever else they can find, they aren't going to touch Harley. All they are is a Victory with different name. I have not seen Victory do much damage to the Moco, and I highly doubt that putting a name like Indian that has been bought and sold as many times as it has, on a bike is going to make much difference. Indian did come before Harley and they had a good product , but hey boys there is no more Indian, and hasn't been for a very long time, only a name that Polaris bought the rights to. And yes Harley was bought by AMF, we all know that story, but the company was bought back by the people and family of the original Moco, The only thing the Polaris has in common with Indian is the name that they and many others have boughten.
I don't care about Indian either, or what Polaris can do to Harley's position. What we're talking about here is Harley's quality, or lack thereof, regardless of the competition. Harley knows that their average rider goes 5,000 miles per year (or less,) and somebody in Moco realized that they'd overbuilt the Twin Cam for a market of 5,000 mile per year customers. So out came the cost cutters.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like some people think that Harley is like some Wall Street companies... too big to fail. Poke around the Internet and you can find a lot of huge companies that in their time were invincible... and they are gone today. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, but they can in fact fail.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by clubber
ya, hd should start putting out shitty motors again, just like the good ole days. Then we could all be riding our polaris harleys in about 5 years.

Wethead issues and the shitty motors of the 70s are due to one thing, pure laziness.
exactly!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
...........sometimes more than once? It's not like this is the only issue the 14's have had.........
Yeah, no kidding. My brothers 2014 limited just got out of the shop for the 12th (Twelve) time. And only 4 or 5 of those visits were for coolant leaks. There were recalls, infotainment issues, electical issues and one on the road breakdown. They are great bikes when they run, but dear God, the koolaid crew gets in such a spiff defending these bikes, rather than just accept that its a fairly new design. There are problems that need to be addresses and Harley may be in a bind because of it. This lawsuit is proof of it.

Quick Reply: class action lawsuit against the moco...