Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

class action lawsuit against the moco...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:02 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2009 Superglide that I put on 35,000 miles with NO problems ....sold it to my son n law... bought a 2011 Road King another 30,000 NO problem ....NEVER stranded away from home.... Call me lucky if you want BUT I stand behind Harley......

Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I guess if the Harley product was was good as what it THINKS it is, Harley's would have a five-year warranty too. It's bullshit if anyone believes that THAT will ever happen... I've had four Ultra's; two good ones, and two stinkers, including my '10. 50 / 50 odds aren't that great on $25k+ expenditures. The line 'He then went on to say that the Polaris motorcycles are so error free that they hardly ever have anybody with a warranty claim." sounds like Harley's version of 'it's normal... all Harley's do that...' and lots of people here won't call bullshit on that excuse.
Victory and Indian only come with a 1 year warranty. They currently have a promotion going offering a free 5 year extended warranty to try to get people to buy there bikes. The warranty wont do you much good if your traveling and breakdown hundreds of miles from a dealer. They just don't have much of a dealer network yet, especially Indian.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby_2014
Our courts were put in place for among things to give us a "Legal" voice. There is no shame in using the courts to protect an investment when the dealer is not reacting to issues in a reasonable amount of time. And as everyone here knows a new HD is an investment. Another sad fact is that HD can be very slow to react to issues and in the meantime some person is sitting around week after week month after month with no resolution and no bike to ride. The one thing that does not stop while your $30.000.00 bike is in the shop are the payments. Harley credit corp and every financial institution that extends you credit expects you to be financially responsible for your debt. Now that bieng said it is MHO that there isnt anything wrong with expecting HD to be responsible for there product. I personally would not question a persons "Biker" credentials if such a thing even exists becouse well to be honest thats a haters reaction and haters suck. Haters are an unhappy group of snivlers that see fit to spew garbage at those they envy.

FIRST Mistake; new motorcycles are like new cars, they are not investments. They are a product you are purchasing. This is the general meaning of the word investment: the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value. SECOND Mistake; When you finance a vehicle, motorcycle or anything for that matter you are buying money, agreeing to pay back that money at the specified terms. The loan has nothing to do with the item purchased other than the title for security purposes. Warranties work the same for buyers that pay cash or finance. Harley Credit is not the same as Harley Davidson Motor Company. People should pay their payments regardless while seeking to have their warranty fulfilled.

Bottom line: anyone buying any vehicle is not making a investment. They are spending money to buy something they wish to own. It will depreciate.

Regarding this legal action; I see it as buyers remorse. Happens all the time with major purchases, especially those purchased on credit. The twin cooled Harleys have proven to be reliable and well engineered. They had issues when they first came out but that was addressed. I have no problem with legal action when warranted, this is just not one of those times.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
... Regarding this legal action; I see it as buyers remorse. Happens all the time with major purchases, especially those purchased on credit. The twin cooled Harleys have proven to be reliable and well engineered. They had issues when they first came out but that was addressed. I have no problem with legal action when warranted, this is just not one of those times.
Your last paragraph says it all. The issues that this suit is based on were addressed and SOLVED a long time ago. That is what a warranty is for. This guy either didn't have the patience to let HD fix his bike or he's got another agenda besides just getting his bike fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
FIRST Mistake; new motorcycles are like new cars, they are not investments. They are a product you are purchasing. This is the general meaning of the word investment: the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value. SECOND Mistake; When you finance a vehicle, motorcycle or anything for that matter you are buying money, agreeing to pay back that money at the specified terms. The loan has nothing to do with the item purchased other than the title for security purposes. Warranties work the same for buyers that pay cash or finance. Harley Credit is not the same as Harley Davidson Motor Company. People should pay their payments regardless while seeking to have their warranty fulfilled.

Bottom line: anyone buying any vehicle is not making a investment. They are spending money to buy something they wish to own. It will depreciate.

Regarding this legal action; I see it as buyers remorse. Happens all the time with major purchases, especially those purchased on credit. The twin cooled Harleys have proven to be reliable and well engineered. They had issues when they first came out but that was addressed. I have no problem with legal action when warranted, this is just not one of those times.
A business mind knowless...you are correct...I have said before...this litigation goes nowhere...it shall die an ignominious death...ride hard...ride safe.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The lawyer or firm that filed the class action lawsuit will make money, everybody else including the original plaintiff will lose or at best, break even. Only the lawyers win in this action. That is both sets of lawyers, the plaintiffs' and Harleys' own lawyers will make a bundle defending Harley. This is what they do and why they exist.

Even if every CVO steaming eagle with buyers remorse joined the lawsuit, the lawyers are the only winners.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
The lawyer or firm that filed the class action lawsuit will make money...
There was a class action suit filed against a nation wide tire distributor. They were charging like $2.50 per tire for tire disposal.

A lawyer dug into it, and found the national average fee for disposal was only like $1.50. He filed. Contacted by mail millions of "plaintiffs" and began proceedings.

It wound up being a $22 +/- million dollar settlement, of which the attorneys received 40%, or roughly $8-9 million dollars.

Each "plaintiff" got a check in the mail for 67 cents.

I was involved in a class action with a cable provider a few years ago. I didn't ask to be, but got a letter from an attorney.
I got my settlement in the mail to the tune of $1.50.

Lawyers LOVE class action suits....

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-23-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

There was a class action suit filed against a nation wide tire distributor. They were charging like $2.50 per tire for tire disposal.

A lawyer dug into it, and found the national average fee for disposal was only like $1.50. He filed. Contacted by mail millions of "plaintiffs" and began proceedings.

It wound up being a $22 +/- million dollar settlement, of which the attorneys received 40%, or roughly $8-9 million dollars.

Each "plaintiff" got a check in the mail for 67 cents.

I was involved in a class action with a cable provider a few years ago. I didn't ask to be, but got a letter from an attorney.
I got my settlement in the mail to the tune of $1.50.

Lawyers LOVE class action suits....
I had a $700 repair on my GM 3.4L engine. Intake manifold leak. When I was researching to see if it was one of GM's pattern failures, I found a class action suit. Filled out a short form, scanned my receipt in and a few months later I got $400. I don't care how much the lawyers got, I got $400 more than GM was going to give me for a problem they knew about for many years.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Of course the lawyers make money. If they didn't, class action suits wouldn't happen. And without such suits, companies would lose a lot of the incentive to improve products.

A lot of the products marketed today are better because of past class action lawsuits, and we all benefit from that.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Of course the lawyers make money. If they didn't, class action suits wouldn't happen. And without such suits, companies would lose a lot of the incentive to improve products.

A lot of the products marketed today are better because of past class action lawsuits, and we all benefit from that.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But what do I know.