Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for a 39 year run...hangin up the chaps , stay safe ya'll!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Glad you enjoyed your time on two wheels.

I've lost the enthusiasm I once had for riding. New bikes don't interest me much. I take shorter rides and fewer trips.

Riding today is much more dangerous than it was 30 years ago. There are too many distracted drivers on the road.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Enjoy that Chebby!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

I've often wondered if this same thing will happen to me. Been riding motorcycles and snowmobiles for almost 40 years. I'm guessing I may follow in your foot steps when I hit my sixties but for now its two wheels in the summer and two ski's in the winter.

Love to see your car at one of the cruise nights. Do you attend any of the shows near the coast on New Hampshire?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like a good plan to me. Enjoy!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

OP, Thanks for sharing a very thoughtful retrospective. One door closes and another opens. Best wishes.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Oh, and one more advice tidbit, your wife said keep the chaps...she likes an occasional viewing/ride...for old time's sake...

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

What a great run for you and your family.

ENJOY YOUR NEXT CHAPTER!!!

Be safe,

YB

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
well...I started riding HD's in 1975..and I never thought it would happen to ME...but it happened. The love had been fading for about the last 5 years..little by little. About 2 years ago I bought a hot-rod 72 Chevelle..and started getting into the local cruise night scene, and then after hanging around with a car club, I joined it. Weekends come and it's off to the car shows with the guys...meanwhile the bike sits in the garage, more and more.
The wife, who met me in 1981, and fell in love with not just me, but my 67 XLCH, bad-boy, kick only, "straight pipes from hell", Sporty, hung on tight as we raced through the night. Bar to bar we hopped...and prayed to God we made it home without crashing, or getting locked up...then we settled down in the 90's and it was weekend cruising on the Low Rider..then 3 kids later it was pretty much just me and the guys. On the Springer...then the Fatboy,..then the FLH...and a boat load of bikes in between...then she stopped taking rides with me at all. She became afraid of the danger, of leaving 3 kids motherless in some flaming wreck...then came a lot of friends killed, or injured...then came sobriety for me 7 years ago..which meant leaving behind the drinking buddies to bar-hop without me...and then came, I guess..a change in me. I stopped waking up in the morning and having my first thought be "when can I ride?"...my interests changed. I started flying lessons. I want to travel more, I like car cruising..etc.

So Saturday, I made the decision. I called a friend who knew I was thinking of getting out. He came right over, gave me a pile of $100's, and I gave him a dream bike. I know he will use it as it should be used. I will see it around town. I will get to touch it again. Maybe even ride it if I want. But it is over.

I wish everyone of you a safe journey through this spinning madness we call life. May you never lose the love you have for these fine machines. May you always have a gentle wind of good fortune in your beards, as you cruise..

Via Con Dios my Harley friends, it's been fun.

Joe

That time will come for all of us, ever thought of being a writer?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 AM
fred08hd
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you had a good run. I understand, I'm getting their fast also. But better safer then sorry, you didn't push it. Enjoy your hot rod.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fred08hd
sounds like you had a good run. I understand, I'm getting their fast also. But better safer then sorry, you didn't push it. Enjoy your hot rod.

..thanks for all the well wishes, and understanding from all of you. Sometimes you just have to know when the envelope of luck has been pushed to it's limit...I live on the South Shore of MA, and it is an absolute hot-bed of dazed cagers driving around texting, drinking, speeding, rushing...it's getting worse and worse...if I lived in Wyoming, we wouldn't be having this talk...but I don't and I want to see grand kids someday...

It's a warm feeling to here all the nice sentiments from you good people as I fade away into the background..

and one lats thing... for us old members oh this forum...may Motoman rest in peace!

Final post,
Joe

Quick Reply: Thanks for a 39 year run...hangin up the chaps , stay safe ya'll!