Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for a 39 year run...hangin up the chaps , stay safe ya'll!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks for a 39 year run...hangin up the chaps , stay safe ya'll!

well...I started riding HD's in 1975..and I never thought it would happen to ME...but it happened. The love had been fading for about the last 5 years..little by little. About 2 years ago I bought a hot-rod 72 Chevelle..and started getting into the local cruise night scene, and then after hanging around with a car club, I joined it. Weekends come and it's off to the car shows with the guys...meanwhile the bike sits in the garage, more and more.
The wife, who met me in 1981, and fell in love with not just me, but my 67 XLCH, bad-boy, kick only, "straight pipes from hell", Sporty, hung on tight as we raced through the night. Bar to bar we hopped...and prayed to God we made it home without crashing, or getting locked up...then we settled down in the 90's and it was weekend cruising on the Low Rider..then 3 kids later it was pretty much just me and the guys. On the Springer...then the Fatboy,..then the FLH...and a boat load of bikes in between...then she stopped taking rides with me at all. She became afraid of the danger, of leaving 3 kids motherless in some flaming wreck...then came a lot of friends killed, or injured...then came sobriety for me 7 years ago..which meant leaving behind the drinking buddies to bar-hop without me...and then came, I guess..a change in me. I stopped waking up in the morning and having my first thought be "when can I ride?"...my interests changed. I started flying lessons. I want to travel more, I like car cruising..etc.

So Saturday, I made the decision. I called a friend who knew I was thinking of getting out. He came right over, gave me a pile of $100's, and I gave him a dream bike. I know he will use it as it should be used. I will see it around town. I will get to touch it again. Maybe even ride it if I want. But it is over.

I wish everyone of you a safe journey through this spinning madness we call life. May you never lose the love you have for these fine machines. May you always have a gentle wind of good fortune in your beards, as you cruise..

Via Con Dios my Harley friends, it's been fun.

Joe

Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Good for you !! You had a good run on them and now its time to enjoy another fine machine !! Enjoy !!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,227 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Sorry to see you go. But it is your life and your family and you know what is best for you. Don't be a stranger here. Enjoy!!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Good for you.
Similar deal here for me, but with boats and fishing. Many of my friends can't believe I am down to just one boat and rarely fish.. Pretty much all thanks to touring on the scoot. Spent just about my whole life in the marine industry, never even saw the Rocky Mountains... Retired, bought my first scoot on a whim (the 99 in my sig), one trip to Sturgis, rode from there into Utah.... Now it's all I think about, my next trip.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

later

Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wish you the best, I went from the bike to a'68 Camaro, then when I turned 50 back to a '05 RK that I bought new. I don't ride as much as I used to for alot of the same reasons as you, but I'm not ready to turn the page yet.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a friend here in Iowa who just told me the same thing, and I totally understand. I know he and his wife were giving some (serious) thought to hanging it up. About a week ago a douche ran my buddy into the ditch. Well, that was it. He was officially done. He said that if he ever got the urge he could always rent a bike for a day ride so keep that in mind.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad choice, I'd have went for a 70 Chevelle, but that's me.

Interests change, you had a good run. Be safe.

David

Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sounds like it was a good run and you're still enjoying a good cruise...only in 4-wheels. No worries and enjoy the semi-new car scene - it's all good!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Well done, well done. It's always great to walk away on your own terms as tomorrow is promised to no one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thanks for a 39 year run...hangin up the chaps , stay safe ya'll!