Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Why not just go with a Road Glide? You can't beat that frame mounted fairing.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Why not just go with a Road Glide? You can't beat that frame mounted fairing.
Cause they are ugly!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Ultras are awesome. I took the tour pack off mine for a little while (a few bolts, a few wires, no cost) as per my sig pic. Put it back on last spring and it will probably never be off again.

Why would you buy a bike and then add all the stuff to it? Just get what you need to start off with.

LiiT

Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

My tourpak never comes off.

Once you use one, it's hard to think about NOT using one.

Here's a secret..... (It's not any faster with it off....)

Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

The indecisiveness of riders between Ultras and StreetGlide's looks and features has been a windfall for HD Parts and Accessories and new bike sales.

The lines somewhat blur as the Ultras have adopted some styling cues from the StreetGlides and the StreetGlides got full featured infotainment systems,the CVO StreetGlide even has rear speakers in the saddlebag lids.

My wife's cool either way,she's done 750 miles days on a stock RoadGlide seat with a little backrest,but she says my batwing Ultra is as sweet as it gets.

You sound like an UltraClassic guy but hell,grab your wife and test ride 'em to see for yourself.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are thinking at all get the Ultra, so much more bike for the $ You can always add crappier low shocks, remove the tourpac, switch to a uncomfortable seat and remove some chrome goodies and have a clone.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if the wife likes the tourpack and backrest.....thus the Ultra,

But the girlfriend prefers the stripped down approach.....thus the Street Glide, hmmmm.

Choose wisely my friend.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Question for those who have the detachable TP on the 2014+ UL or UC. Since the turns are integrated into the TP, is there a kit you need to have the turns without the TP? This might be relevant to the OP as well.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:18 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my RGU, I thought that I would remove the TP when I would ride solo, but decided that I really like having the extra storage space and left it on there full time. I did remove the lower fairings, but will put them back on there in the next couple of months. It's better to have more than less...

Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
If you are thinking at all get the Ultra, so much more bike for the $ You can always add crappier low shocks, remove the tourpac, switch to a uncomfortable seat and remove some chrome goodies and have a clone.
Spoken like someone who has never been on a 2014 SGS.

As someone who has had both bikes (basically), I can give you my take.

I chose an 11 Ultra (over a Road Glide Custom) for all the reasons cited here - comes with everything. Cheaper to remove than add. Tourpack will stay on once you get used to it etc....etc... Not all of that is necessarily the case. *

Bought the Ultra and the spending began. Mustang Supertouring seat because the stock seats suck anyway. Different shocks because those suck too. Better windshield. The usual add-ons that you have to do on any bike - highway pegs, etc. It was a great touring bike and met our needs. However it was a tool. Albeit a very nice tool. But, it vanished in a sea of black Ultras when parked. It was the station wagon of motorcycles. At that point I started spending money to make it look more like a Street Glide (changing to a Road Glide would be way more money). Wheels, lights, fenders, etc. The detachable kit for the tourpack was stupid expensive so I fell back on the "I'll never take it off anyway - it doesn't change the handling" speech.

This last spring I started looking into Bluetooth headsets. I think that was the clincher. I hated the tethered HD setup. My BMW friends had good luck pairing their headsets with Garmins and I phones so I figured I would do that. At that point I realized, for me, the Ultra probably wasn't the best choice. I rented a 14 SGS and the rest is history.

Yes, I have spent money on that too. Tourpack and the necessary mounting hardware - about $1000. I kept the Mustang seat so that was paid for. That said, the stock seat is excellent for the rider - much more comfortable than the one that was stock on the 11 Ultra. But the passenger suffers. Kept the highway pegs too. The shocks are stiff with just me on the bike. But loaded 2 up they're actually much better than the 11 air shocks. Cheryl didn't like the footboards on the Ultra, but she liked the foot pegs on the SGS even less. I installed a Barron lowering kit and Kuryaken Mini-boards on the bike and she likes that much better than the Ultra boards - $130 total cost. Way more room to stretch out.

In the end, I have a bike I am much more happy with. It has the style I want and is even more comfortable for the long rides than the Ultra due to the changes I made along with the superior shocks (when comparing hand adjustable premium to the 11 air shocks - not sure if they changed on the 14s). It is easily convertible to Street Cruiser/Canyon carver to weekend tourer (bigger windshield and sissy bar) to coast to coast long haul touring rig (Even bigger windshield, tourpack, generic removable lowers).

Here's the * part - Contrary to what has been said:

-You can really feel the weight of that Tourpack even when empty. The thing is like carrying a very large, heavy microwave oven when I bring it up from the basement and put it on the bike - which is 5 minutes out of my day. The bike immediately goes from nimble (within the context of a large bike like the Street Glide) to top heavy. I do not leave it on except for when I need it. I enjoy the Street Glide look too much to clutter it up and I like the handling without it.

-The cost wasn't any more than an Ultra. By the time you do everything you want to do to either bike the $$ difference isn't even a factor, especially considering you end up with a bike you really want. And having said that, I'm pretty sure had I gone with my heart, instead of my head and purchased the Road Glide Custom 4 year ago, I would still be happy with that bike. So more $$ in the pocket.

Bottom line - buy the bike that speaks to YOU. Ride them both. Both are fantastic touring machines. But be honest with yourself - looks do matter. You want something you can be proud of. If that's the Ultra - then that's your bike. If that's the Street Glide - get it!

It's a nice decision to have to make.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide