Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

It's much cheaper to take parts off the Ultra
than put them on the Street Glide.I bought a
FLHTC in `07 thinking I would take the tour pack
off when I didn't need it.Well I got used to it
being there & found out it was handy so it never
came off.I now have a `12 Ultra Limited and
I wouldn't think of taking it off.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always thought that a stripped down Classic or Ultra is sexier than a Street Glide.
That being said,,,and has already been said,,,, it's cheaper to get the Ultra in the long run.
But whichever bike gives you that warm and fuzzy is the one you need.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM
roadkingdoc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the plate bracket and turn signals are part of the tour pack. you have to buy the lighting kit in addition to the quick disconnect kit to run without the tour pack. been there

Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingdoc
the plate bracket and turn signals are part of the tour pack. you have to buy the lighting kit in addition to the quick disconnect kit to run without the tour pack. been there
H-D Detachables Tour Pak conversion kit 53000291 includes docking hardware, tour pak mounting rack, antenna relocation (am/fm) license plate reloc, AND turn signal relocation ( the saddlebag lights). All in one kit now - only need to buy cb antenna relocation kit separate - lights are now included in kit

Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Thanks Weavr99. Hadn't seen it in the '14 P&A and haven't perused the '15 P&A yet.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwglide
I wouldn't doubt that you get a 50/50 split on which way to go.

I was faced with the same dilemma earlier this year. I went with the Ultra and was going to add the quick detach kit. I found that I use the tour pak so much (riding gear, work stuff, Home Depot runs, etc...) that I decided not to spend the $500 on the detach kit and use it for other accessories. At this point, even if I had the detach kit, I probably would rarely remove it.

Coming from a bike without any storage (Wide Glide,) I'm amazed on how fast I got spoiled with the Ultra.

Just my $0.02 worth.....
Me too brother. Ultra is much better choice. I enjoy touring long distance much better. Now to pony up for a 2015 limited.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe it is just me, but I find that the heavy Harley tour pack makes the road bikes feel a bit clumsy and top heavy, even when empty.

They make it a pain to get on and off the bike, as I seem to always find it in the way.

It is much harder to get it off the kick stand. Even moving the bike around the garage seems much harder, and it always feels like it wants to fall over.

Had real difficulty turning it around on up hill roads. It took much more leg strength than without it.

I now have a Street Glide with quick release pack. I use it only when riding up double, as she wants to have a storage area of her own and control her own packing.

As soon as the trip is over, and I am riding single again, that pack comes off the back and gets hung up on the garage wall until the next time she comes along.

I first noticed this in the dealership. You can mount and balance a Street glide with ease, while getting on and off a Ultra is much more clumsy and balancing it makes the bike feel like it weight 100 lbs more.

Taking off that tour pack made me feel like a dog running free, as opposed to being on a leash.

As opposed to others that use their bikes for runs to Home Depot, etc, I use my car for that, and have little use for a tour pack in day to day riding. I use my bike much more for fun than work.

The costs seem pretty much the same to to change either bike into the other, but for me, that low slung, stripped down and nimble handling Street Glide is where I want to be, as opposed to the more cushy Geezer Glide. (and I AM a Geezer)

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM
GaryHD1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everybody. I went today and looked at them both, sat on both. I will agree with you Uncle Paul and Nevada72, I could feel the weight deference on the Ultra. Having had a Roadking before the feel of just sitting on the SG felt more like the RK. I could just go with the SG and add the back rest if she wanted that..... Hell I might even look at a Ultra Tri Glide next time I go looking. So many damn choices... I saw alot of nice bike on that showroom floor. But being that I'm 6'4 240lbs, its just more comfortable for me on a touring model.

Last edited by GaryHD1; 09-02-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryHD1
Thanks again everybody. I went today and looked at them both, sat on both. I will agree with you Nevada72, I could feel the weight deference on the Ultra. Having had a Roadking before the feel of just sitting on the SG felt more like the RK. I could just go with the SG and add the back rest if she wanted that..... Hell I might even look at a Ultra Tri Glide next time I go looking.
One of the first things I did. Through a dealer it's pretty spendy. I bought mine on Ebay. All together it was under $150. I bought the Moco Mid version with the comfort stitched backrest pad. Works pretty well but it's not as relaxed a riding position as the Tourpack with backrest. The sissy bar is a bit more upright I believe.

The tourpack I ordered through Surdyke. If you check occasionally they have specials. I got mine for $685 I believe, the pad was $130ish, and the rack another $130ish. The lock set is $40ish. All together it wasn't much more than a grand. I got close to free shipping. Think it was $15 all together.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
The costs seem pretty much the same to to change either bike into the other, but for me, that low slung, stripped down and nimble handling Street Glide is where I want to be, as opposed to the more cushy Geezer Glide. (and I AM a Geezer)
I agree. Because of fortunate circumstances, I owned at the same time an 09 Ultra and a SG with a detachable tour pack. When the time came to sell one of them, I sold the Ultra for all the reasons given by UnclePaul. I just enjoy a sports car more.

Beary

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide