Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Blue production #s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:44 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daytona Blue production #s

Anyone know how many of each model were produced in each model? Is there even a way to find out. Seemed like it wasn't out there......now I have seen like 4 in my area alone! Not that it is a bad thing. I love looking at the color!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I hope not to many. I went looking for a new 2014 and the Datona Blue was the only color I liked. There aren't any more around, so I didn't spend the $28,000. LOL

Beary

Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Keep in mind that HD poops out more than 200,000 bikes a year.

There is nothing "rare" or 'collectable" about mass produced items

production costs are controlled by economy of scale, so if it's gonna be a blue...then they'll buy enough blue to do thousands of bikes

and recalibrate the 300 million dollar paint machine to apply it correctly

2003 model year production= 420,000 units.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-02-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer

I wasn't asking because I think it is a limited production color. I asked because when people find out it is a custom color that costs $1,050.00, they usually make a funny face. I didn't know how many people were willing to pay an extra 1,050 for the color. It wasn't really a color choice that Harley "pushed" like their hard candy colors and stuff like that. Is the bright green color the custom color for the 2015 model year?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's no different to buying a car - some colours are part of the list price, while others are an extra, especially metallics and pearlescents. The nicer colours are likely to be ordered in the greatest numbers, so your blue may be the most popular!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

What about Vivid Black?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcdermit
Anyone know how many of each model were produced in each model? Is there even a way to find out. Seemed like it wasn't out there......now I have seen like 4 in my area alone! Not that it is a bad thing. I love looking at the color!
You can call the Motor Company after the end of the production year and they can tell you.

Was the color you ask about a custom color? If not the number are probably higher than you think. My 08 Ultra was a Custom color only offered for 3 months of the model year. And only 271 were made for the US market. So in my book that makes mine a fairly rare color combination. It was by the way Copperhead Pearl & Redhot

Attached Thumbnails Daytona Blue production #s-cphdprl.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer

Mine is a Custom color, but I would imagine the numbers are a whole lot higher than a couple hundred considering how many of this exact color I have seen online and in my local area. I think every dealer has at least one bike in this color in stock in either Street Glide or Ultra Limiter....and I believe it also came on the Softail Slim maybe?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

They have been doing "custom colors" for years...
They are limited to how many they can sell...

It used to be they'd do each color for 3 or 4 months, and then do the next one.

Now it means, a lesser number than say, Vivid Black, no tank badging, and extra cost to the consumer.

I don't dislike them, but it is what it is.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcdermit
Mine is a Custom color, but I would imagine the numbers are a whole lot higher than a couple hundred considering how many of this exact color I have seen online and in my local area. I think every dealer has at least one bike in this color in stock in either Street Glide or Ultra Limiter....and I believe it also came on the Softail Slim maybe?
If in doubt call and find out. My color was only offered in 08 for 3 months hence the very low numbers I quoted. My dealer would not have had a Ultra in that color had I not ordered it. I have only seen one of my color on the road. and only one mentioned here on the forum.

Quick Reply: Daytona Blue production #s