Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up riding on a street glide ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't even bother to test ride a '14 before you ordered yours? I think passenger comfort is very subjective. If they find the stock seat uncomfortable, do yourself a favor, demo a couple of different options at your dealer before you order one. There are a lot of great aftermarket options as well, you just won't be able to try them before you buy them.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 AM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

upgrade...sundowner is a good choice.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

streetglide seats have been improved since 2014 ( maybe even earlier not sure ). Wider and longer for the passenger. So try it and see. YOu can always buy another. I had good luck with Mustang seating as they are of very high comfort and quality.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

+1 on the Mustang solo with passenger pillion and backrest. I ride solo 99% of the time but can slap on the back seat in like 30 seconds. Much more passenger friendly. And the Mustang is also available with a rider backrest. Highly recommend one of them!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by jim0249
Just ordered a 2015 Street Glide Special. Looking at the seating "accomodations" it looks like there is not an awful lot of cushioning/space for a passenger.
For those of you who have this bike and stock seat just how comfortable or uncomfortable is the ride for a passenger?
I do plan on ordering the backrest attachment but am curious nonetheless?

Any thoughts/suggestions? thanks
Great choice on the bike - congrats!

The stock seat comfort is subjective and dependent upon time spent in the saddle. Cheryl is okay for around town and short hops on it, but I always put on the sissy bar for back support. Anything longer and I toss on the Mustang Supertouring.

As mentioned, you can demo seats at the dealer. Try a Hammock. I hear they're a good choice.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nevets61
From my own experience with HD seats, I first bought the HD Sundowner, which was an improvement for her and great for me but on longer rides (500-600 days) it was not as wide a seating area as she preferred (she has an ample rear section) so I picked up an HD touring seat off an ultraclassic and she was very happy, I however don't care for the little bit it raise me up and forward in the saddle. So have your OL try them out and you as well as some seats can have more padding than what your used to on the stock SG seat.
500 days on a bike trip would make anyone sore.. Where do you ride to fer cryin' out loud. ;-)

Mark

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

We got a 14 SG and added the hammock right away. She said she wouldn't ever sit on the factory seat. Never looked back at the seat choice after installed except for a bit higher windshield as it does put the driver up about a inch in height. Next is shocks over the the winter.

Batman and robyn.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

My wife would not ride at all if she had to ride on the stock SG seat. We tried the Saddleman road sofa, neither one of us liked it, then bought a sundowner. The Sundowner was better, but not great.

After upgrading the shocks, I put a tourpack and a road zeppelin seat on our SG.

She can ride twice as long at a time on the road zeppelin as the sundowner, but I am sure the tourpack helps as well.

I have to warn you though that your SG won't look like a SG with a good seat for the passenger attached to it.

Dennis

Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by rochkes
I have to warn you though that your SG won't look like a SG with a good seat for the passenger attached to it.

Dennis
Very true, but it will still be an SG! It does seem to be a challenge for some HDF members, who buy bikes with unsuitable accommodation for a passenger, then struggle to adapt them. The MoCo is very obliging and makes all the right detachable parts necessary - like dual seats and tourpak etc - so we can swap from lean-and-mean to cosy-and-comfy and back. Simples!

Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Very true, but it will still be an SG! It does seem to be a challenge for some HDF members, who buy bikes with unsuitable accommodation for a passenger, then struggle to adapt them. The MoCo is very obliging and makes all the right detachable parts necessary - like dual seats and tourpak etc - so we can swap from lean-and-mean to cosy-and-comfy and back. Simples!
I figured out very soon after buying my SG that I should've just got an Ultra. I didn't really care for the sundowner seat, but I was ok with it when my wife rode with me because it was so much better for her. I used to put the sundowner seat and detachable backrest on when she wanted to ride, then take her backrest off and put the stock seat back on when I went solo.

I like the tourpack and the road zeppelin seat so well that I haven't switched back since I bought them, even when I ride solo.

I guess I should try to sell some of the parts I have laying around that I will probably never use again, but I think I'll hold on to them just in case or maybe put it back close to stock if I ever decide to sell or trade it.

Dennis